Anybody still making INF community maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I'm just curious if anybody is still making INF community maps? I'm working on a conversion for Spoogers Underground map. I also have a partially created map, but I don't have the will power to keep working on it. I feel like there's nobody to release a map to. And maybe that is why it is so slow lately. But it would still be nice to know if there are any other maps being created out there. It would be nice to see some more threads in here based on INF mapping.

Also, is anybody considering taking up Realmaps webmaster? If anybody has been by there lately, it has been posted that Kibbles is out of the door. I would have applied for the job, but I have no website skills, and I'm too negative to review peoples maps. I think somebody more outgoing and with some decent people skills should have the job. I hope Realmaps can get back on it's feet. I used to consider Realmaps THE INF map warehouse. But lately it has fallen behind. And when that happens, there's gaps in the Realmaps map list. It would be nice if there was one site that had most if not all INF maps, so newcomers to the community wouldn't have such a difficult job of getting up to date on server maps. And also the availability of mappacks to make installation easier. Ok, I'll shut up now.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Um, I'm asking if people are making any community maps. And I'll take that as a no.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
I'm on the verge of taking up RM webmaster, the only thing holding me back is I'll be extremely busy over the next couple of months, and posibly more after that. If there's someone who could handle the webmaster side of it (at least for a while), I'd be happy to do the editor side.

Maps? I stopped making maps after Quake II.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Got two maps in the works [both will be for 2.9 EAS].

I really hope RealMaps doesn't die, it's been like the #1 community page for years. :/

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Ha. Leave it to Sublime to come in here and slap me around to feel good about himself. And one or two servers adds up to like 32 people. Whether you want to believe it or not, there are NOT as many people around here any more. I'm just looking at downloads of maps for conformation. A lot less than there used to be. So from a mappers point of view, you have less people to release to. And also having Realmaps down doesn't help. They do reviews and help to get maps out there. Not everybody knows about these forums and combatmaps.de. But I guess it is also an opinion of mine that there are not as many people to download maps.

Reaper, are those totally new maps, or are they gonna be older maps simply redone for INF 2.9?

Anybody else mapping...?

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I think I know what you mean, it would be like painting pictures only for himself and the family, while you want that many people can see your picture and can be satisfied.

"So from a mappers point of view" you should also make your maps for other UT-Mods. Many people don't like TO and SF, but why shouldn't someone map for it, if his maps will (maybe) be played on those mods more than on INF.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Nova, that looks familiar. And I would map for TO and SF, but once you start to use the INF textures, its a pain to find them all and switch them out. And then you have to hope that TO and SF have decent textures. And why map for a mod you don't enjoy? I like to see my maps on servers even though it is rare. I don't think TO or SF would like my maps as much. I think they don't appreciate realism as much as the INF community does. OF course, I haven't played them forever, but last I checked I didn't like them.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
jaymian, real maps is not down you can still access it via http://realmaps.beyondunreal.com. of course it's a bit slow there but you can't blame kibbles from working too much ;)
about map audience, I may be the only one but I mainly map for myself. nobody would play my maps I would continue that way. I've probably released less than 5% of the maps i've done (finished or not).

Cleeus[JgKdo]

because respawns suck
Jun 8, 2002
Germany
www.cleeus.de
jaymian said:
I like to see my maps on servers even though it is rare.

Maps are judged by both their look and their gameplay and only of both fits, they are put on the servers. Thats the reason why TheFlood and Trapped are on our server :)

I like your way of mapping (BSP instead of meshes) because i don't like meshes very much too (all those visibility and collision problems). BSP looks smoother.
But some of your maps have major flaws in gameplay. Do you think you could add one bigger route and widen the door/mines route in HellFire from the underground to the sourface? This would maybe make the map playable.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Haha, I'm not making any more versions of Hellfire. I already have 3 (one way or another). I know RM isn't "down". It's just not being monitored by anybody. So that means no new news or reviews. Not that there is much news lately, but if somebody does take it over, that have some catching p to do, which unfortunately usually never happens. And damn Freon, why don't you release many of your maps? Are you your worst critic? Or are you just testing ideas?

sublime

Cynic
Aug 1, 2000
Texas
www.caffeine-addict.org
Ha. Leave it to Sublime to come in here and slap me around to feel good about himself.
1. Don't capitalize my name.
2. You're the one who says nothing but negative things about everything under the sun. I can only assume you do that to make your own life feel better. Seems like you're projecting in the comment above, nothing more. ;)

{GD}The One

TBuildT Mapper
Feb 26, 2002
NJ, USA
www.planetunreal.com
I am not mapping for Infiltration at the moment, but I would like to take this opportunity to express an opinion. When I first started playing Infiltration it was... amazing. I would rate it as one of the most inspiring and fun games I ever experienced. And then, I met the community. I mean the people that played on the servers, and posted constructively and argued the same about what they played (not some of the OT posters on these forums now). Joining with the ghost dogs sealed my fate as an Infiltration addict. It was not enough for me so I learned how to map and it became almost an obsession to perfect. And then, things changed in my life and Infiltration became stale... so I took a break. After some time I came back and saw what was ruins of my beloved Infiltration but the spark was still there. GHost dogs trying to come back, Jaymian still active (one of my favorite mappers), TBT still working on DS, talk of the new version getting very close to release, and even seeing for myself it was true. I had already started work, along with my brother, on Jerusalem and we had secured a new server.
At this point I kind of wish I hadnt come back from my break.. because I have seen that spark burn out first hand now and it saddens me. I hope that I am wrong, but I know that I am not. WHy play atari 2600 when Nintendo has already been made...
Not good bye, nor regrets, but I will see you later. I will map again. I know nothing being created now can compare to Infiltration and the upcoming MOD, but who is going to play it? I will..

~Nate

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
atm im pretty much fed up with inf mapping... hell, the last few months i released more maps than players actually beeing online. im not shure if i'll continue to map after 2.9 either, as with about 40 official and semiofficial maps there won't be any place for community maps for quite a few months after the release. so i'll just go to use the new engine and maybe get a bit more involved in reallife...

oh, and i did allmost every theme i wanted to do with this engine. there is nothing to learn anymore. and i made playable maps of my old, unfinished ideas: sniper, farmland and even push. i made a forest testmap back in old unreal days, i made terrainmaps with working grass layers (basicly a second, nonsolid terrain brush.. caused a hell of bsp errors ;)), there is nothing to do for me anymore with this engine. and there is no reason to do anything.

Last edited:

Lightzout

Infiltration Player
Apr 16, 2001
San Rafael, California
Visit site
Hey I just to say how great all the comunity maps were. They were a big part of why this game was so fun to play. Thanks guys for all the great maps- best dam team games I have played were in INF maps and I tried hard to get em on SK1 when we could. So hopefully those skills will evolve and we can play new maps on a new engine. I will be looking for 'em -L*Z

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Wow. It does suck when the fuel runs out. I'm hoping that Jerusalem makes it into the DS mappack. That map looked way awsome. And I can understand fist_mlrs running out of map themes. I was pretty much hoping INF or something very much like INF would come along on a nice new engine. I'm not seeing much. That is the sad thing about gaming. New stuff comes along, and sadly you move on. You can always go back, but the sparks aren't as bright. But I also think games from 1999 can still be good games. I hope to play INF 2.9, and I hope to see you guys there.

And to sublime. Don't over analyze my posts. You put more meaning into them than was originally intended. Trust me, I don't think that much about what I type. I know your job is to analyze, but I would rather you stick to INF. And yes I am a negative person. I don't need you to tell me. Why don't you chear me up with some good goddamn news about INF 2.9. But you can't, can you?

sublime

Cynic
Aug 1, 2000
Texas
www.caffeine-addict.org
Sure I can. It's closer than ever before. Nothing I say short of "It's shipped and you're the new king, Eeyore!" will make you happy anyway though, so I'm not sure why you're asking. Either way, I hope your life gets better soon.