Any fans of diagnosing CPU fan problems?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
My CPU fan keeps speeding up and slowing down, which I can hear, and which irritates me. Could anyone help me find out what info I need to know to solve this problem?

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Thanks for the response, Kyllian.

When I boot, go into the BIOS, select Load Optimized Settings (or something that sounds very close to that) and save, I don't have this problem. (Actually, out of the five or so times I've done this, I did have the fan problem once, so although this technique does not seem to be a permanent workaround, it does suggest that the problem might be settings-related, but which settings I'm not sure.)

Does anyone know if there's software that could diagnose the problem?

Last edited:

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
... and we have a winner!

In the BIOS disable "Cool and Quiet".

Before doing this, I tried spraying air at the fan and heat sink to remove dust, and I still had the problem. Then I came here and the trusty Rukee offered the advice that actually worked. :tup:

Thanks Rukee, and thanks everyone else! :wavey:

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Okay, so, even though I disabled Kool N' Quiet, it's speeding up and then slowing down again. What's a feller to do?

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Plug the CPU fan into a differnt plug. Or wire it right to one of the power supply feeds and make it run 100% all the time.
What type of CPU do you have?? I have an extra one of those heat pipe cooler thingy~mabobs for an A64, you can have it if you want.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Plug the CPU fan into a differnt plug. Or wire it right to one of the power supply feeds and make it run 100% all the time.
What type of CPU do you have?? I have an extra one of those heat pipe cooler thingy~mabobs for an A64, you can have it if you want.

Thanks for replying, Rukee. :tup:

I have an AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4850e 2.5 GHz.

Once I get around to figuring out how to plug the CPU fan into a different plug (is the device actually called a plug? by "plug" do you also mean, in less formal language, a "slot"?)

Thanks for the offer on the free heat pipe cooler thingy-mabobs. I'm quite a ways from your place, now, so it would cost me a lot more to drive there than it would be worth. Maybe I'll be up for a road trip this summer. :)

(... but you have to supply the babes!) ;)

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
By plug I meen the wires coming off the CPU fan, thewy should plug into a 3 wire spot on the motherboard, there may be another 3 wire spot on the motherboard you could use.
And we got this thing now called the U.S. Postal Service, they can bring it right to your house! ;)

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
By plug I meen the wires coming off the CPU fan, thewy should plug into a 3 wire spot on the motherboard, there may be another 3 wire spot on the motherboard you could use.
And we got this thing now called the U.S. Postal Service, they can bring it right to your house! ;)

Okay, I'll take a look in about a month, when school is done, and get back to you. :)