Annoying problem with MapVote 3.04 and 3.02

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ryan[sg]

Oct 20, 2004
hello, i'm asking here as a last resort as i've not been able to fix my problem for the past 10 or so hours that i've been working on this damn ut server :/. anyway, i had the ut-dedicated-436-linux server tarball (or whatever its named if thats incorrect) with the asu script and the latest 451 patch. i installed mapvote and it seems to work correctly...at first. suddenly after a
vote had taken place my client would spastically reconnect to the server. either it would freeze and i'd have to kill it (the client) or i would manage to make it out. in the ucc log it always shows this error:

Failed to load 'CTF-November.unr': Can't find file 'CTF-November.unr'
Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file 'CTF-November.unr'

that error is shown for each map i have. it seems to cycle through all availible maps and claims it can't find the files (which _are_ there). i've tried both bdb mapvote 3.04 and 3.02 because while 3.04 is new, 3.02 is the latest recommended on the asu page. unfortunately the error occurs with both versions.

i eventually thought it was the way asu started ut, so i just used the command line as such:

./ucc server CTF-LavaGiant.unr?game=Botpack.CTFGame?mutator=BDBMapVote302.BDBMap
Vote log=server.log --nohomedir

i joined and my friend and i played for a good hour or so and managed to make it through like 6 maps before we got tired. then i wanted to play some instagib, so i setup another file with:

./ucc server CTF-LavaGiant.unr?game=Botpack.CTFGame?mutator=BotPack.InstaGibDM,B
DBMapVote302.BDBMapVote log=server.log --nohomedir

and started it up. i voted through a couple maps fine, then i tried for rainbaseig and the problem happened again :(

with 3.02, i noticed an error that i didn't remember seeing in 3.04:

BDBMapVote CTF-EpicBoy.BDBMapVote0 (Function BDBMapVote302.BDBMapVote.Tick:0099

that was after it claimed CTF-RainbaseIG didn't exist, again, lying like the naughty program it is. i'm hoping that can help a little more? i'm certain the problem centers around BDB MapVote but i'm not sure why nobody else seems to have had the problem. I hope I have included all necessary info, i'm quite tired
and may have forgotten something obvious. oh and its running on netbsd 1.6.2 with linux emulation quite fine. (without mapvote that is, hehe) i've also tried removing the ut-server directory and starting again from the fresh files. unfortunately it didn't help :/

it really baffels me that its so random, i haven't managed to narrow it down yet at all. unfortunately it makes the server quite unreliable having to quit to fix it from freaking out about non-existant maps that really exist. thanks,

- ryan

BDB

May 9, 2000
NC, USA
www.planetunreal.com
Welll first off when it logs something like this:

Failed to load 'CTF-November.unr': Can't find file 'CTF-November.unr'

it usually means there are some files that the map depends on that are missing or it cant find because of ini path settings.
Maps depend on other files such as texture files (.utx), music files (.umx), sound files (.uax), or possible script files (.u).

As a test, run start the server without MapVote and then login as admin and do a server travel to CTF-November and see if it fails to load. If it fails it will fall back to
the original map.

If this works without any problems, then try setting bDebugMode to True and run mapvote again. Send me the resulting log file after it failes.

ryan[sg]

Oct 20, 2004
ahh, yes. i removed the extra hyphen from both the fancy ucc.init script and my quick little one to just launch the long command without having to remember it. as far as trying without mapvote, i have done so. it seems to not happen, at least as often, as when i was just playing it did it again after niven. you say to check ini path settings...hm well everything should be a-ok there. the thing is, these maps load fine sometimes. its really hit and miss, say one game i'll be able to cycle through to november, play through it, play several other maps and then the issue will arise again. upon restart, trying to vote for november again can result in the loop. as the issue just happened _without_ mapvote on, its leading me to believe there is something wrong with ut itself, most likely with my installation. perhaps i should try not using the 451 patch and just use generic 436...? as this isn't a problem with your mod i'm sorry to have bothered you :/

- ryan