UE3 - UDK Animating torch

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
I imported the 3d model of the torch in the picture below. When I play on pc the flame isn't animating its staying still as you see it in the picture. The 3d model is supposed to have animation. How do I get it working? (Include animation is checked during export)

Attachments

• torch.jpg
    torch.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 20

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
What kind of animation, did you animate it in a 3D program with bones and such? It can only export skeletal based animation, and only SkeletalMeshes can display those animation. You have imported this as a Staticmesh and a Staticmesh is well, static. It will not move or do anything.
It is normally not done to animate a torch in a 3D program. The performance impact of skeletal animation is too great for it to be used on small things like a torch.

Foufoune_Rose

ǝsoɹ‾ǝunoɟnoℲ
I may add to the words of Hourences (what a honor) that you should use a particle emitter on your torch, instead of your animation.

Look at the works from others (or every "modern" 3d games) to see how an asset should be used : static, animated, "particled"...

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
Is there a tutorial that would show me how to attach a particle emitter like a flame to a static mesh or skeletal mesh. So I can create a torch

Last edited:

Foufoune_Rose

ǝsoɹ‾ǝunoɟnoℲ
1.Select your torch in the c. browser
2.Add it by right-clicking in your map and hitting the "add that static mesh"
3.Select your particle emitter in the c. browser
4.Add it by right-clicking in your map and hitting the "add that particle"
5.Align the two objects together
6.???
7.PROFIT

Or you could associate them by creating a prefab.