1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 Animating Exisitng UT3 Characters

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by rockingskier, Mar 7, 2008.

1. rockingskier

rockingskier ooo shiny thing

Hi All,

I was wondering if its possible to create animations for the existing UT3 characters (a human male mainly)? I've had a search on various forums and they all talk about creating and animating new characters but not the existing characters.

I've been using 3DS Max and have made and exported an animation ( using ActorX ). I used the model UT3_male.max as a base (I beleive it is the same skeleton as the generic man in UT3?) but had no luck in the editor when trying to get the characters to use the animation.

I hope that all makes sense and thanks in advance for any help.

RockingSkier

2. InAction

InAction I make things move

It should work by using the existing skeleton. Make sure the joints are named the same as the ones in the editor.

3. rockingskier

rockingskier ooo shiny thing

Thanks for the reply.

I finally got there in the end and as always its 1 small option that I missed. The animation works when I select "cull unused dummies" in the ActorX options before exporting.

Hope this helps others.

4. Squirt

Squirt New Member

thank you so much for this post!! cull unussed dummies did some magic :)

5. phanta007

phanta007 New Member

Hi,

could u plz explain which steps you did to get the animation work in the unrealeditor.:)
    I was trying for days and searched so much hours but this is the first post that gives me hope...

thanks a lot

6. Squirt

Squirt New Member

1. download a UT3_Male.max from http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3Mods.html
    (scroll down all the way to get the .max links)
    2. install ActorX plugin for 3dsmax. you can also get it from UDN.
    3. open UT3_Male.max with 3dsmax 9 or later.
    4. Make an animation, and digest the animation using ActorX. Use "cull unused dummies" here and "export all textured".
    5. Save out a .PSA file with your animation
    6. Open the package CH_HumanMale (or so it's called) in UED, open the animation set.
    7. Import your .PSA file. You should see your animations in the list on the left now.

7. phanta007

phanta007 New Member

thx alot

it works

8. Squirt

Squirt New Member

I'm glad I could help :)