And the Master Server goes down AGAIN!!!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
i_am_Loki said:
Saito,
if your still here and not "Following the crowd" playing UT2k4, We play XMP because it's BETTER than ut2k4. It doesn't matter how much Atari f*cks with us or the POS master server. Because you know what? People that Play XMP are intelligent. Unlike the mindless shoot and run style of ut2k4. We will find away around atari and when we do look out :)
This is just a ridiculous assertion and quite frankly I'm tired of hearing it from people that I've played with/against and respected in XMP. I love XMP, but seriously, you guys are turning into game snobs.

XMP is a fantastic product and I enjoy playing it. But it still has annoying bugs which now can never be squashed, it runs like a Powerpoint slideshow and the master server seems down more often than up. I've been playing 2k4 almost nonstop since the demo release and the reasons for that are numerous. The vehicles drive they way they feel they should drive, they're intuitive; not something you "just have to get used to" or something that feels like the wheels are velcroed to the ground. The worst framerate I get on MAX DETAIL is better than the best framerate I get facing a wall on low detail in XMP. I don't have to worry about turrets moving off base and warping all over the place. Between a great polished game and a great unpolished game, I'll take the polish.

Lastly, this rampant bashing of 2K4 is as lame as it is unwarranted. Maybe it's not class-based. Maybe it doesn't have deployable items or energy resources to manage. But XMP is one gameTYPE. DM as a gametype is a retread. CTF as a gametype is a retread. But 2k4 has TEN gametypes, and to catgorize the entire game as being equivalent to the DM gametype is just silly. XMP is an extermely well-thought-out gametype but it's not like they reinvented the wheel. Take away the energy and the classes and all you're left with is Onslaught + CTF. The smart vs. dumb comparison is without merit, and it's insulting.

There's room in this world for more than one good game to exist. You guys need to figure that out and get off this crusade. Besides, even if you did defeat the big evil 2k4 you could never hope to outdo CounterStrike which is considerably older and lamer, so there's really no winning this battle.

Last edited:

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
PF Prophet said:
it would make them $ and wouldnt take much work at all the output vs the gain would be there
oh and the full ver boxes could say XMP with eXpanded MultiPlayer under it and say it comes with a "free" version of unreal2 and demo of 2k4 even
its about how they handel them selves they must not see that they have a chance to make bank on something they alreaddy have

Prophet - you talk an awful lot about money and the numbers game - but I would be hard pressed to take business advice from someone who can't even bother to spell check (or, at the very least, know how to spell). Beyond that, companies don't just "throw" games out there for public consumption; the cd's and boxes have to manufactured and artwork applied, then there's distribution and shelf-space (supermarkets sell their shelf space to companies, I would venture a guess that this is standard practice at any retail outlet) in addition to middle-man costs (Best Buy or EBGames gets their cut as well). There could even be more to it than what I've outlined - my point is that I'm sure Atari isn't "overlooking" the opportunity to make a profit from XMP. I'm sure that some intelligent people are working there (who can spell) who have decided that publishing and distributing XMP is not cost effective. XMP is a terrific game and I love it, but if people aren't buying - companies will stop selling (in this case, supporting as well).

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Meat Shieldage.
Mar 22, 2004
Flaming aside for a moment, let us all contemplate. Would it kill Atari to support a news page for XMP? Hell, it wouldn't even have to be in the game, just a site externally in everyone's bookmarks would be nice.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
CannonFodder said:
Flaming aside for a moment, let us all contemplate. Would it kill Atari to support a news page for XMP? Hell, it wouldn't even have to be in the game, just a site externally in everyone's bookmarks would be nice.

Yes, what are you thinking? Atari can't afford that! How would they ever be able to afford a site for news about XMP? They'd have to hire maybe no one extra to work on the site. They might even have to lay someone off (again). 0_o Making an XMP site would seriously hurt their budgets and the minds of the Atari executives who are all about making as much money as possible. It's hard enough on their email and internet system just trying to put out announcements about XMP. In fact, so hard that the only thing to ever make it through was the little popup at www.unreal2.com! Hell, they can't even afford to run a master server for XMP because it's too difficult for them. Guys, we need to go join UT2004 because Atari is so poor and needing money and all the executives would like to buy their 10th Lamborgini's for this summer. </sarcasm>

Yeah, give me a break. Atari, go to hell.

And Saito = atari executive, based on his replies in regards to XMP.

-Myr

i_am_Loki

god of mischief
Feb 21, 2004
\/\/0RF said:
This is just a ridiculous assertion and quite frankly I'm tired of hearing it from people that I've played with/against and respected in XMP. I love XMP, but seriously, you guys are turning into game snobs.

XMP is a fantastic product and I enjoy playing it. But it still has annoying bugs which now can never be squashed, it runs like a Powerpoint slideshow and the master server seems down more often than up. I've been playing 2k4 almost nonstop since the demo release and the reasons for that are numerous. The vehicles drive they way they feel they should drive, they're intuitive; not something you "just have to get used to" or something that feels like the wheels are velcroed to the ground. The worst framerate I get on MAX DETAIL is better than the best framerate I get facing a wall on low detail in XMP. I don't have to worry about turrets moving off base and warping all over the place. Between a great polished game and a great unpolished game, I'll take the polish.

Lastly, this rampant bashing of 2K4 is as lame as it is unwarranted. Maybe it's not class-based. Maybe it doesn't have deployable items or energy resources to manage. But XMP is one gameTYPE. DM as a gametype is a retread. CTF as a gametype is a retread. But 2k4 has TEN gametypes, and to catgorize the entire game as being equivalent to the DM gametype is just silly. XMP is an extermely well-thought-out gametype but it's not like they reinvented the wheel. Take away the energy and the classes and all you're left with is Onslaught + CTF. The smart vs. dumb comparison is without merit, and it's insulting.

There's room in this world for more than one good game to exist. You guys need to figure that out and get off this crusade. Besides, even if you did defeat the big evil 2k4 you could never hope to outdo CounterStrike which is considerably older and lamer, so there's really no winning this battle.

blah blah all fine and well but i dont appreciate someone asking when were going to "get with it" and switch to ut2k4. Especially on a XMP Forum.

CannonFodder

Meat Shieldage.
Mar 22, 2004
If you do make one, make it a "frag as many of that professor from the Janus mission," type maps. If you can, that is. Most kills wins.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Ok, I'm going to draw a comparison with Tribes again (if you'll bare with me).
IMHO, Tribes and XMP are similar games. But XMP is apparently as good as or better in terms of features and rules (gameplay elements). So why is it not as popular, maybe not even as well known?
It is an unsupported free add-on to a single player game.
Despite Atari releasing it as a feature of the Special Edition (I read the fine prints, no mention of XMP being unsupported), it is still being treated as a free add-on. The bugs in the game should be fixed, the master server should be kept running 24/7 for at least 2 years, and the latest patch/downloads should be hosted on Atari's website/FTP for crying out loud.
The lack of success here really isn't the game's fault. It isn't a better or worse game compared to ut2k4; it's a different style of game. If someone can't accept ut2k4 as a replacement, it is perfectly understandable. You can't ask UT players to go play Counter Strike if Atari decides to shut down UT masters. Same goes for XMP players.
With that said, I don't condone bashing ut2k4. It is unwarranted. But I can understand as it seems they are always triggered by the persistant mentions of switching to UT2k4. "XMP got problems, go play UT." I actually think that's ignorant (with the above reasons), and that's where the problems start.

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
Stigmata said:
Prophet - you talk an awful lot about money and the numbers game - but I would be hard pressed to take business advice from someone who can't even bother to spell check (or, at the very least, know how to spell). Beyond that, companies don't just "throw" games out there for public consumption; the cd's and boxes have to manufactured and artwork applied, then there's distribution and shelf-space (supermarkets sell their shelf space to companies, I would venture a guess that this is standard practice at any retail outlet) in addition to middle-man costs (Best Buy or EBGames gets their cut as well). There could even be more to it than what I've outlined - my point is that I'm sure Atari isn't "overlooking" the opportunity to make a profit from XMP. I'm sure that some intelligent people are working there (who can spell) who have decided that publishing and distributing XMP is not cost effective. XMP is a terrific game and I love it, but if people aren't buying - companies will stop selling (in this case, supporting as well).

yeah i talk about $$$ alot becouse thats ALL that matters to atari IF they can make a quick$$$ they do

yeah they pay for packaging and advertising but in the case of xmp packaging could be a simple jewlcase(cheap as hell) and stors dont sell per title space for jewlcase games they least the ones around here dont i have asked about that
they get the jewlcase games they order and a few extras the supplyer wants them to throw on the rack

yeah my spelling is ****ty never said it wasnt but u know if all people can attack is that and my grammer then maby they need to look at how weak and pitiful there arguments and reasioning are?

i dont have a word prosessor on here its a game/video box not word prosessor and i am to lazy to bother downloading and installing the latest openoffice over 56k

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
So wait, why is it 2K4 players aren't supposed to bash XMP but you guys can go ahead and say that "intelligent people play XMP" (which is bullsh*t by reading, or TRYING to read, any of prophet's posts).

This doesn't work just one way here. If you're going to do some bashing you damn well better be prepared to take some. Want some respect? Show it first.

i_am_Loki

god of mischief
Feb 21, 2004
Nemephosis said:
So wait, why is it 2K4 players aren't supposed to bash XMP but you guys can go ahead and say that "intelligent people play XMP" (which is bullsh*t by reading, or TRYING to read, any of prophet's posts).

This doesn't work just one way here. If you're going to do some bashing you damn well better be prepared to take some. Want some respect? Show it first.

If you enter an XMP forum or any other gaming forum and expect the dedicated players to not bash any of the rival game competators then you are more stupid than a box of rocks. If you dont like ut2k4 being bashed dont read the posts :)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Rival Game Competitor? IT'S THE SAME FRANCHISE!!!!!

Incidentally, what you seem to think is "normal forum discussion for games of a certain genre" the rest of us call "being a freaking faboi".

Last edited:

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
Nemephosis said:

you know for someone who thinks hes smarter then I am you dont act it

yes my spelling is crap and my grammer isnt good but that dosnt mean im not smart
also the fact that im dyslexic dosnt help any with spelling

you need to grow up and relise that just becouse somebody dosnt spell perfect, have perfect grammer and above all agree with every world u type/say that dosnt make them any less intelegent then you

its like me calling your an imbread azzfuk without really knowing u
(btw thats an example not a dirrected attack)

grow up kiddo and relise that nobody is perfect not even you(though if ur the age u seem you probbly dont beleve u arnt perfect)

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
\/\/0RF said:
Rival Game Competitor? IT'S THE SAME FRANCHISE!!!!!

Incidentally, what you seem to think is "normal forum discussion for games of a certain genre" the rest of us call "being a freaking faboi".

warf at one time i liked u now u seem like a prick oh and they arnt the same game atari would and dose (im sure) see xmp as a rival game to ut2k4 becouse they are bouth online and BOUTH are currently playeda dn fairly new(xmp isnt old yet)

so yes there are rival's/competitors for players/sales and since they dont want to support xmp they will do what they can to promote ut2k4 no matter how underhanded it is

Jun 3, 2001
England
Visit site
i_am_Loki said:
If you enter an XMP forum or any other gaming forum and expect the dedicated players to not bash any of the rival game competators then you are more stupid than a box of rocks. If you dont like ut2k4 being bashed dont read the posts :)

Yeah but, UT2k4 bashing is really really dumb.

It's even dumber when you realize that XMP (a Unreal 2 add-on) and UT2k4 are both parts of the Unreal series.

Also, if you take time to look you will realize that within the UT2k4 forum are a lot of mature people who don't resort to bashing XMP because they don't like it, they stick to playing UT2k4.

So to conclude, the UT2k4 bashing is pathetic. Grow up people.

Jun 3, 2001
England
Visit site
PF Prophet said:
warf at one time i liked u now u seem like a prick oh and they arnt the same game atari would and dose (im sure) see xmp as a rival game to ut2k4 becouse they are bouth online and BOUTH are currently playeda dn fairly new(xmp isnt old yet)

So let me get this straight, Worf is a prick because he pointed out that XMP and UT2k4 are both parts of the Unreal series?

Grow up.

kyicoo

Mar 23, 2004
enjoy the game for what its worth...XMP and unreal tourny 2004 are slightly different, but why all the bitchin? this could be debated forever, since its peoples opinion. just accept that some people think XMP is crap, just as some people think unreal tourny is crap. that simple.

Mar 6, 2004
Can you guys please stop fighting? this is a thread about the master server being down and not a fighting thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.