1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ammo types

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by randomas, Apr 25, 2006.

1. randomas

randomas New Member

I was thinking about things that would be fun to include in inf and other than the super plasma gun of death scheduled to be fielded by the burkina faso army in the year 2080, I thought a choose bullet type options would be interesting.

I'm no weapons expert so I don't know the specifics and how much sense it makes to do so. But from a coding point of view it shouldn't be too hard, it would just mean changing the values of a few variables according to the weapon type, then again not knowing the structures, objects and classes being worked with I'm probably talking out of my arse.

Also I think the Milan central station would be a cool spot for an inf map (it's the same square where a plane flew into a skyscraper in 2002). The building has some great spaces and interesting geometries. Before I go on a crazy fotoshooting spree and looking for building plans, I'd like to know if anyone is interested in doing this.

a few images I found searching flickr.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shevy_dk/130822624/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/giorgiogatti/15148473/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanessawoz/92202668/

2. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Codise there is a problem. The number of ammunition type in Vanilla INF is 4 ammo type classes. So if you want to have more ammo types, you'll need to do things like what yurch did with the new40mm. It's a problem I encountered when i wanted to add more 40mm types to the M16A4. I will have to rewrite most of the weapon code to support more ammo types.

Second problem is with adding new ammo types to existing weapons. You will most likely have to rewrite parts of the weapon code of that specific weapon to support multiple ammunition types. I think you might especially have problems with weapons that do not use multiple ammunition types (most of them) and have some of the weapon functions already re-written.

But it should be possible and with some of the weapons it could even be fairly easy using IWE-like weapon replacements. That is, as long as you do not exceed 4 different ammo type classes.

3. randomas

randomas New Member

Ok, so it would probably only make sense to do so on the new weapons where the 4 slots aren't taken from a coding perspective.

Now from a gameplay point of view would it make sense, to have say, armor piercing, hollowtips, fmj, depleted uranium and plasma-on-contact-disintegrating whatevers.

4. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

with most old weapon, only 1 slot is taken. If I am not mistaken, the only exceptions are the Hk69 and M16A2_M203.
    But you would have to replace the weapons to add the new ammo types I think. Not sure if any related function use the hard coded default values. If not you could simply perhaps simply modify the weapon while it is added to the player inventory. e.g. catch it and motify the variables.

It all depends on what needs to change. Variables only, default parameters or functions. You probably have to do a case-by-case study... especially if you want to modify new weapons that have a lot of the original INFc_Weapon function rewritten.

5. randomas

randomas New Member

If only unrealed worked under linux ...

Anyone interested in making a map of the station then?

6. Corporal_Lib [BR]

Corporal_Lib [BR] Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)

The place is beautiful... hope noone makes a TDM in such a place..it deserves an interesting EAS (no cap cd only, plz... a take over of the lobby, disable security terminals, disarm chemical weapons as in Bastille Station... EAS permits so many objs... ;-)

Suggestion of ammo types: AP, HP (already said by randomas), Hydrashock and Glaser... depleted uranium would kill the user at the end of the round due to poisoning XP

7. randomas

randomas New Member

I'd like to see eas done properly there too and dm-tdm for dtas use. I'll do the research if someone wants to play with it in unrealed. What geometry formats does UnrealEd take? If I were to hit my head real hard, go insane and decided to pick up modeling and created the building as a mesh and textured it what format would it have to be in?

Ammo types, what ammo does what and how would it's behaviour change gamewise. I.e. range, bulletdrop, behaviour with walls and armour damage on impact and anything else relevant.