1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Americans

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cleve-ntt, Nov 13, 2003.

1. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

How exactly can dismantling a nuclear submarine go wrong? Are you afraid it will sink in the dry dock? Or maybe all of the nuclear cooties will suddenly ignite and turn the immediate area into a glassed floored parking lot?

It's a submarine, not a time bomb. The fuel rods are probably long gone by now, or will be. All that would be left is similar to what you do with your lego castle when you don't want it anymore. It may carry an element of danger for someone actually doing the dismantling, but not for anyone else.

That being said, a lot of the defensiveness from Americans can be traced back to ignorance like the above. (Cleve)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2003
  2. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

I really don't care. I don't think I fit into the "dirty American devils" that some nations put me in.

You should judge a person 100% by the group they are associated with. Sure the group is important since it guides the indviduals frame of mind, but we are not some mass of ants, espcially in the USA. Unfortunatly its not only our fellow nations that try to "group" us its our own GOV. We the people have indviduality, and consisst of many groups but that does not nessisarly mean that our group is the dominat. Just becasue the USA is being run by a Democrate one year it doesn't mean it won't flip coins the next. We are so diverse in you can't really group us other than being indpendent. This whole "Group together or the terr'st are gonna geet ya" is a passing fad to stave off fear for the time being. Americans are already going back to bussiness as usual, and it shows in President Bush's polls (see the drop).

Americans are just too hard to group IMO. And if they are grouped its for too short of a time to be truly valid.

3. RedMarlin[MERLIN]

RedMarlin[MERLIN] New Member

Listen to sublime, he knows alll. ;)

Wow in the time I took to write that 3 other people posted lol

4. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

It isn't "MY" ship, I am saying they should dismantle it in "MY" country (I am British, you goon).

5. The_Pikeman

The_Pikeman Also known as Howski

6. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

I hardly think so. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together has acknowledged that Saddam Hussein was a brutal dictator and one of the worst abusers of basic human rights since Joey Stalin. The people of Iraq were most certainly not better off under his brutal reign.

Maybe in the very short run, things might be slightly worse than before, with some of the utilities and such having been taken out... (Interesting to note that the reason that most of the utilities are still out are because of Saddam loyalists attacking them - the US was very selective during the liberation of Iraq, because we knew we'd be rebuilding it and why make all that extra work?)

Once the infrastructure has been rebuilt - at least partially at the US taxpayer's expense - and a stable, representative government is in place, the Iraqis will be much better off. To think otherwise is pretty ignorant.

Matthew

7. jaymian

jaymian Sweet Merciful Crap!

Holy crap. For once I actually agree with sublime. Wow. I think the man/woman/or child who started this thread should be ROed for a month, and this thread should be closed. All it has done for me is lower my opinion of most people in this forum. What this forum should be is a collective of people who love INF. And this damn off topic forum does nothing but take away from that. It makes people leave the forums and INF, and it starts fights. Right now all I want to do is get INF 2.9, and empty a SAW belt into Freon. Once I have done that, I will feel better and then forgive Freon for being blind. So lets all get back to loving INF, and say to hell with this thread.

EDIT: I seemed to have forgotten the smiley after saying I wanted to shoot Freon. I meant it in a good way. Online, not in real life. I still want to visit Europe, I'll just say I'm Canadian when I go to France;)

8. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

So, you want a forum full of mindless drones who agree with each other? This is a DISCUSSION forum :rolleyes:

And why aren't we discussing 2.9? Because this is the OFF-TOPIC forum! :rolleyes:

9. 5eleven

5eleven I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sublime, as I read your post, I read faster, and faster, and got so excited I nearly shat meself. That was awesome!

Pike, you are as painfully honest as I. :D

poaw, that was bustagut funny!

phatcat, true dat.

Regardless of everyone's opinion of each other, each other's countries, governments, likes, dislikes, and similarity of past and present posts, if you can cast all of the bullshnit bickering and low blows aside, there's a lot to be learned here.

On a side topic, although I truly detest virtually all media, if anyone watches or can access MSNBC, I'll tell you, you need to watch Dr. Bob Arnot, a correspondent in Iraq. That has got to be the best, most honest, selfless, open minded, caring reporter in the region. I remember during the coverage of the war, he left a protected position to help an Iraqi family get to cover and out of a crossfire situation, until ordered by the commander to move to the rear and take cover. The Iraqi's speak openly and honestly with him. And why is that? Because he RESPECTS them, their culture, and speaks Arabic. Albeit it is not perfect Arabic, he tries to speak the language and he treats the Iraqis as decent, worthwhile human beings. If that guy doesn't get a major award for his reporting in that country, I will NEVER play 2.9..............well, if it ever comes out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. jaymian

jaymian Sweet Merciful Crap!

Your right. The best part about the off topic forum is that no matter what you say, somebody has to disagree:rolleyes: I don't care if it IS off topic. It does more bad than good. Period.

11. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

i am reminded of the map, DM-INF-Funkers
    W H O O P D E E F U C K I N ' D O O

12. Bhruic

Bhruic New Member

Hmm, odd, I've been impressed with a lot of what I've read. Normally these discussions quickly break down into pointless flaming, but I've mainly seen people forwarding opinions backed by evidence to support them.

My take on the whole Iraq situation is it's a great example of the old axiomatic question of "does the ends justify the means". In the specific, does the possibly good result of a nice, stable democracy in the middle east outweigh the deceit and unilateralism that were necessary to create it? To this I don't have an answer. Good ends are always nice, but the creation of possibly dangerous precedents aren't. How this all plays out in the future will be interesting to discover.

As for discussing the ramifications of the American occupation, a friend of mine recently used the situation in Japan post-WWII as an example, one I wasn't able to refute. The US was in a position where they could have exploited the country, or set up an "American colony", had they wished to do so. But I don't think I'd find many people who would argue that Japan isn't in a better position now than it was then.

As for the whole "American" thing, it's interesting, I have a profound dislike for what I term the "American attitude", but I have a fair number of American friends who I like and respect. Some of whom share a lot of the attitudes that I find distasteful. Perhaps it's merely a case of when you have a large enough, and powerful enough group that believes something, it can be a lot worse than if an individual believes it. The group is actually in a position to exert the influence of that attitude on others who might not share it. There's a number of parallels I could make between the US and certain organized religions, but perhaps I'll save that for another time. ;)

Bh

13. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

*ahem* ..Continuing our story in the middle east, a car bomb went off today in the streets killing several civilians, wounding several more--quackittie quack quak...New in kitchen ware, a pan that cleans itself!

Let the iraqi children sing you a song to the verse of 'Mom, I woke up to the sound of a mortar'

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
  14. Ice

Ice New Member

OT: Duke, have you made one intelligent post here yet? At all?

On topic:

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the new election. I can't really say, being up to date and crap with the world :)rolleyes:) because I'm on the net, but I think that most American's really DON'T have a clue whats going on. I only wish that we had a President like Clinton. Sure, he sucked as a person, but he didn't manage to **** up on the scale that Bush has.

15. The_Pikeman

The_Pikeman Also known as Howski

I cant say I agree with you .... if someone cant take a insult on the odd occasion maybe they shouldn't be posting. Lets be honest apart from one or two how much bad feeling do you see here, most of it is people arguing there POV.
    As far as the international peace force thinky I think I might be wrong looking at this ....

from the BBC
    -How.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
  16. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

17. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

Duke, stop your ****ing spam.

18. cleve-ntt

cleve-ntt random in the head.

What right does america have to invade iraq than iraq to invade any other country.

Anyway, who has the most WMD? Our good friends America.