1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Amazon to offer alternative to Steam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IronMonkey, Feb 19, 2008.

1. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

As I understand it, Steam offers more than just a download service.

Would people be interested in a pure download service?

2. Thrash123

Thrash123 Obey Leash Laws

Absolutely, assuming the offering was done properly. I want to be able to backup/redownload the installer if necessary without having to shell out more money for another copy.

3. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

i like how amazon gives you the box with nice stuff you can hold etc. but if they want to do both... sure, why not?

4. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Assuming it would be done properly ... maybe.
    Reality says it won't happen and it'll be yet another DRM-contaminated attempt at controlling your pc and wallet and it most certainly won't be any cheaper.

However I still prefer the old-fashioned regardless as pretty boxes are nice to have solid evidence.

Although I'm sure it won't happen outside of the USA just like the mp3-store is US-only.
    Then again ... when you're competing against legal free downloads of mp3's it does make people wonder why they should pay for stuff.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008