Am I beyond hope for UT2k7?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PirateChris

Feb 23, 2006
This game looks amazing hopefully ill be able to play it, to the best of your knowlege do you guys think my pc can run this game?

1.8 pentium M
1 gig of ram
geforce go 6800

zeitgeber

Feb 14, 2006
i got the same specs on my laptop but with only 512 ram. i played the robohordes domo made using unreal3 engine and it played decent on 800x600 but its the 1.8ghz which brought the fps down when the game got crazy with bolders and a million things flying all over the place. i expect 2k7 to play the same way- really bad when lot of physics in involved

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Those specs are probably going to not cut it for UT2007.

Disclaimer: No official requirements have been released. Just "official" engine requirement speculations.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
PirateChris said:
1.8 pentium M

Dont underestimate the power of the Pentium M CPU. Its only 1.8Ghz and if its the one with the 2MB cache then it's probably close to a 2.6-2.8Ghz Pentium 4 in performance. Only problem it dont have hyperthreading, which probably slow it down in the robohordes demo cos I think it was designed for multithread.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
I'm fairly sure it will, no chance at max detail but it should run well enough. I certainly hope it will, since my shiny new-ish laptop is only a fairly small step up (2.13GHz, 2GB RAM, Geforce Go 7800GTX).

Last edited:

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
hal said:
Let me qualify what I am saying: 1.8 M isn't going to play it at a native resolution and at frames per second that I would want to play it at.

I don't think it'll be the P-M that'll hold you back - a standard desktop 6800 would be hard pressed to manage 1024x768 at decent detail levels... a laptop version, meh... low details at 800x600 i'm guessing...

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
There isn't that much of a gap between desktop and mobile graphics cards these days... the Go 7800GTX is somewhere between the desktop 7800GT and GTX.

hal... depends what native resolution is :p. I doubt this will handle 1680x1050, but 1024x768 will be feasible IMO.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
PirateChris said:
This game looks amazing hopefully ill be able to play it, to the best of your knowlege do you guys think my pc can run this game?

1.8 pentium M
1 gig of ram
geforce go 6800

That's about the same spec as mine. Beside, i own a 64 Bit procecor @ 2.2 GHZ. I just hope i can run it in 64 BIT.
The 6800 is a great AA card. If you run UT2007 at 800X600 with AA 4X on you should be ok. With medium detail but the biggest problem is your procecor right now.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
BeMyMonkey said:
I don't think it'll be the P-M that'll hold you back - a standard desktop 6800 would be hard pressed to manage 1024x768 at decent detail levels... a laptop version, meh... low details at 800x600 i'm guessing...

the unreal engine eats processor cycles for breakfast..

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
hal said:
the unreal engine eats processor cycles for breakfast..

Or rather, UE2/UE2.5 did. I never really noticed that much CPU limitation in UE1/UE1.5... Judging by the screenshots we've seen so far and the specs released for the engine I'm guessing graphics horsepower will be more important than CPU power in UE3... I mean, c'mon, super high-res textures, HDR (and probably not just bloom effects, but the whole whopper), huuuuuge amounts of polygons, normal mapping on practically everything...

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
eggs said:
Its only 1.8Ghz and if its the one with the 2MB cache then it's probably close to a 2.6-2.8Ghz Pentium 4 in performance. Only problem it dont have hyperthreading, which probably slow it down in the robohordes demo cos I think it was designed for multithread.
I have a desktop 2.8 GHz P4 and it can hardly handle UT2004. The video card is fine enough, but when lots of things get on-screen that need the CPU (i.e. player models), my frames drop dramatically. 1v1 is the only gametype in which I get steady, high FPS, and that's only because there's one player model to look at.

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
Turns2Ashes said:
I have a desktop 2.8 GHz P4 and it can hardly handle UT2004. The video card is fine enough, but when lots of things get on-screen that need the CPU (i.e. player models), my frames drop dramatically. 1v1 is the only gametype in which I get steady, high FPS, and that's only because there's one player model to look at.

That may be the case in UT2004 (not to mention a 2.8 GHz P4 isn't exactly a great gaming CPU - never was...), but if you read my post above you'll probably see why I think UE3 will be more graphics-limited than CPU...

Perfect_Dark

A Low Life Scum Bag
Feb 25, 2006
If you can play doom 3 you should be able to play 2k7 at its lowest settings dont believe for one secound ut would make it so high grade so try that.

Last edited:

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
Perfect_Dark said:
If you can play doom 3 you should be able to play 2k7 at its lowest settings dont believe for one secound ut would make it so high grade so try that.

Make that if you can play Doom 3 at 1280x960 with medium settings... => lowest UT2K7 settings...

I'm seriously scared ****less of UE3 and what it's going to do to my PC...

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
You guys are forgetting about an important piece of information, there is a physics processor card that will ship for (not with) unreal engine 3.0 games this will drasticly reduce the load on your proc and videocard, however if you chip isnt 64 bit id say your proly not gunna have thta easy of time playing at all