Almost-dead graphics card

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
For a week or so my graphics card (Asus V9980U - Geforce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB) has been playing up in all games, in that every so often the screen would go black for a second then come back. This would increase in frequency until it does something very odd... it kind of splits the screen diagonally and render the left half in the right and right in left, until I change the resolution or refresh rate. So I test it in my spare rig - it doesn't seem to work at all. I put a PCI graphics card in with it, and all of a sudden it works, although it doesn't output anything until it gets into Windows. That suggested to me that the BIOS was screwed up, which I confirmed by running nvflash to get the info - it couldn't determine the vendor or subvendor. Luckily I had backed up the BIOS (always the first thing I do when getting a new card/mobo), so I try flashing it again. It comes up with a strange error - something about '256 page-mode programming' - and quits. Power off, power on... seems to be OK until Windows starts, which detects it as a new graphics card and then instantly reboots.

So... any ideas what is wrong with it, and more to the point how I fix it?