All violent video games to be banned in Germany

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Someone should tell the politicians that all those school shooters were listening to Tokio Hotel before they attacked their schools. Hopefully they will ban them as well. :)

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I think we should start more schoolshootings, to protest this law.

Yeah but according to a german politican a few years ago, school shootings only happen in America.

How did German politicans go from believing there is no such thing as violence in their innocent, now jew loving country, to all kids are potential murderers waiting to snap and need to be sheltered from the harsh grim reality?

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Yeah but according to a german politican a few years ago, school shootings only happen in America.

How did German politicans go from believing there is no such thing as violence in their innocent, now jew loving country, to all kids are potential murderers waiting to snap and need to be sheltered from the harsh grim reality?
Either a lack of common sense, or self-motivation. Flip a coin.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!

As I said earlier Germany has always treated games this way, more or less. Also sheltering from the grim truth of things is hardly new and as rambowjo somewhat distastefully hinted at earlier Germany has had it's own school shootings recently.

This news is no suprise really.

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
No surprise, but counter-productive.

Violent crime rates go down when violent media is allowed.

Everyone watches the rate of violent criminals possessing violent materials... but minimizing the number of criminals possessing violent materials does nothing for you... minimizing the number of violent criminals period does.

And the statistics say -- to minimize number of violent criminals, minimize restrictions on violent media.

Same statistic holds for sex crimes (ie: rape) and internet access.

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
skincity.beyondunreal.com
UT was watered down. The competitors were made to look like robots and blood color was changed to green.

I don´t think there was a special german version . I bought the game at the releasedate . It was the international box ( text in english , handbook in english ) with some german gamemagazine-ratings and the USK-18 (Years) Rating.

There is a special german UT2003-version tho.

Attached is the back of the UT-box.

Attachments

• SV102196.JPG
    SV102196.JPG
    503.8 KB · Views: 26

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Here's the first problem: Parents accept no responsibility for their children's violent actions, therefore the government tries to govern the parent's inability to prevent such actions through proper parenting. This is the excuse that parents give the government to allow such inane actions against an entertainment media.

Kids do drugs: Because their parents don't give enough of a damn to really try to curb their habits.

Kids curse at every chance: Because it's the parent's doing. A home with a lot of cursing and domestically negative behaviors results in bad upbringings of the children. Why do you think these kids have such bad language?

Vchip: This is the excuse for the parents to allow their children to be exposed to violent imagery in spite of the parent's responsibility. Show your kid some love and family time, it'll help them feel better.

Bad kids have bad parents: Simple as that.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Btw...this is absurd, soon they will ban all the books with violence and TV too etc....and soon they will be like in 15th century or what....

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
HL1 had robots for marines and machine oil for blood (looked like head-crab blood but there were screws instead of bloody-gib-potatoes).
Also in Counterstrike, death-animations (oh, the days) were replaced by the model sitting down and shaking its head.:lol:

If there was an award for the best replacement for anti-violence reasons it would have to go to CnC Zero Hour. Not only was everyone but the news-reporters a robot (accomplished by making the regular voices sound like low-quality recordings, giving infantry units grey skin and have weird, cheap seams and stuff painted on the leader-heads on the loading screen and the build-unit-buttons), the suicide bombers were replaced by huge, red, explosive barrels.
Now, how can barrels move, you ask? They are red barrels on four wheels! That alone is worth playing the German version instead of the international one, imo. But the fun doesn't stop here! Infantry can be told to mount motorcycles in the game. How can a barrel mount a bike? Well, it just can. :D
So you can have inanimate barrles drive around on self-steering motorcycles.
The game is hilarious from start to finish.
It's a little cheap that they removed civilians from the game (even from in-game videos) when they could have had a cheering robot crowd standing there, and I heard some missions are cut completely, but other than that the German version is great.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Can't believe the devs kept up with this.
Now it looks like they won't even have a choice if these guys who proposed such a law get it passed.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
HL1 had robots for marines and machine oil for blood (looked like head-crab blood but there were screws instead of bloody-gib-potatoes).
Also in Counterstrike, death-animations (oh, the days) were replaced by the model sitting down and shaking its head.:lol:

If there was an award for the best replacement for anti-violence reasons it would have to go to CnC Zero Hour. Not only was everyone but the news-reporters a robot (accomplished by making the regular voices sound like low-quality recordings, giving infantry units grey skin and have weird, cheap seams and stuff painted on the leader-heads on the loading screen and the build-unit-buttons), the suicide bombers were replaced by huge, red, explosive barrels.
Now, how can barrels move, you ask? They are red barrels on four wheels! That alone is worth playing the German version instead of the international one, imo. But the fun doesn't stop here! Infantry can be told to mount motorcycles in the game. How can a barrel mount a bike? Well, it just can. :D
So you can have inanimate barrles drive around on self-steering motorcycles.
The game is hilarious from start to finish.
It's a little cheap that they removed civilians from the game (even from in-game videos) when they could have had a cheering robot crowd standing there, and I heard some missions are cut completely, but other than that the German version is great.

I'm guessing you can't you get the German version outside Germany?

Someday maybe governments will have a system where the citizens can hold the politicians accountable for their actions. But we'd have to reverse all the anti-torture / waterboarding crap thats been done recently. Stockades & public humiliation may work too.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I don´t think there was a special german version . I bought the game at the releasedate . It was the international box ( text in english , handbook in english ) with some german gamemagazine-ratings and the USK-18 (Years) Rating.

There is a special german UT2003-version tho.

Attached is the back of the UT-box.
Hm. Could swear I read that somewhere... though I wish I could remember where.

Then again, Epic also has a penchant for patching up German versions to their usual gory levels fairly quickly.

If that's the original version, would it be possible for you to install and take a quick look, especially at the version number? Launch UT was 400, I think.