*ALL MAC USERS PLEASE CHECK HERE*

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Several of us Mac users have been complaining about Infiltration 2.85 crashing, or quitting unexpetedly with memory errors (or sometimes no error at all) both during play, as well as during the UT load process.

We are wondering just how many Mac users are experiencing such problems.

If you are experiencing sumilar problems to these, please post your system configuration (Mac type, Mac OS version, amount of RAM, and graphics card type), and please tell us about the error as it occurs for you.

----------
For the record, I AM having this problem (as you can probably expect). My system stats are:

[*]PowerMac G4 400 MHz (Sawtooth)
[*]Mac OS 9.1
[*]640 MB RAM
[*]ATI Radeon AGP 32 MB DDR

page

Assistant Coordinator,
Contributing Editor &
Graphic Artist
<A HREF="http://www.rlgaming.com" TARGET=_blank>REAL
LIFE GAMING (RLG)</A>

[This message was edited by =DarKNesS= on Mar 15, 2001 at 20:28.]

N

Noah

No problems here

Just for the record, I'm NOT having trouble:

Dual 533MHz G4, 384MB RAM, Radeon.

If I had to guess, though, I'd bet it's a RAM issue.

palerider<death>

Feb 4, 2001
Rave not working

Need help getting rave to work. My configuration is B&W G3 500 and ATI pro 128, 512 megs ram running system 9.1. I was running a Twin monitor set up with an older ATI mock 64 card for the secondary monitor (14") I have a 19" Nokia for my main. After 2.85 came out I noticed that I was using software rendering. And indeed when I opened the Control Panel the radio selection for Rave was grayed out. I've tried uninstalling the secondary video card. Still wouldn't work. I then went and got the latest ATI update (Radeon 1.1.1 ) it still wouldn’t work . I then went back and found my previous older drivers (pre 9.1) and did an uninstall with the 1.1.1 drivers and dropped in the older ATI drivers and redooted…still didn’t work . P.S. I also at a hard time at first getting it to work with a clean install upgraded with 436 umod+ 2.85+maps umods. Ended up having to find an older version that had lain around and threw away the InF's folders only keeping INF maps ans INF textures and then installing the the umods. That worked .I also got a not enough memory error message but I believe it was because I had used photoshop right before I launched the game, rebooting and launching the game first worked fine Remember on the Mac the system won’t always release unused ram once called on . OS X should fix that but till then you need to reboot. Perhaps using VR ram is a work around , but I never use it. Any one have any ideas?

B

Bob-O

same problem

I've got the same problem

Beige G3/266
Mac OS 9.0.4
128mb built in, 250mb used for virtual memory
ATI Radeon 32mb DDR PCI

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Palerider:

I've created a seperate thread dealing with your RAVE driver problem, to keep this thread on topic (which your post partially was).

Check it oute, HERE.

page

Assistant Coordinator,
Contributing Editor &
Graphic Artist
LIFE GAMING (RLG)</A>

ArbSkynxnex

with co-conspirator, Kitty
Mar 11, 2001
I found that with the crashing at startup, if i force quit, restart, then run Inf as the first app after restarting im fine.

g4 450mhz cube
320mb ram
20gig
ati rage 128 pro

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
I just tested this, and it works for me too. Playing INF on a clean reboot doesn't seem to cause problems, though I don't like the idea of having to reboot every time I want to play.

This means that it is definately a memory leak of some sort within the INF code.

sigdarkness.jpg

Assistant Coordinator,
Contributing Editor &
Graphic Artist
LIFE GAMING (RLG)</A>

macinf

Oct 18, 2000
Freeze

My problem is similar to ArbSkynxnex ‘s problem, except mine freezes before loading UT. I can force quit, but can’t play Infiltration unless I restart the Mac.

G4/400 Yikes
OS 9.1.1
512Mb
ATI Rage 128

And can someone tell me how to use the radar???????

ovw

Oct 18, 2000
Central Florida
Yes, have this problem

450mhz G4
2565Mb RAM
ATI 128Rage Pro
Mac OS 9.4

currently my 'work' around is to reboot before playing. My next 'work' around it to pick up another 256mb of RAM.

OVW

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
OVW:
Picking up another 256 MB RAM won't be a work around for this problem. I have 640 MB RAM, and I have the same problem.

sigdarkness.jpg

Assistant Coordinator,
Contributing Editor &
Graphic Artist
LIFE GAMING (RLG)</A>

ghillie

Feb 23, 2000
california, usa
Visit site
it is almost working

Well after much tweaking and even more cursing it almost works. I can now get INF to launch and I can get the shooting range to load and I can play it for a couple of minutes before quitting with no error message or an out of memeory message. However trying to use the ONLY other map I can get to launch DM-Peru it crashes with an out of memory message or simply locks up my computer. I have also found that INF requires a fresh re-boot in order to launch properly. From what I can see with the small glimpses I get 2.85 looks like it has great potental. However I will NOT continue to allocate all but 84 meg of my memory to this game. There was after all a time when I could run INF in full screen, with Outlook Express and Yahoo messanger running in the back ground all on 128 meg of physical ram and VM set to 129 meg. Now I can either play INF (for a few minutes before it crashes) or do anything else. There are other problems but since I can't run the game properly I am not concerned about finding the answers to those problems yet.

My system is B&W G3 350, 384 meg physical memory, VM off, stock AGP based ATI Rage 128, OS 9.1

Ghillie out.... feeling a little like a broken record.

The only easy day was
yester
day!

[This message was edited by ghillie on Mar 16, 2001 at 11:59.]

)(@\/

Nov 19, 2000
mine too

B/W G3 450mhz
256M RAM
Mac OS 8.6

I think it is a RAM issue. I have the preferred size for UT set to 190000. When it was set at the default (120000 I think) I would unexpectedy quit every half-hour, now I can go 1+ hours depending on how many maps are loaded. I have this problem with Deus Ex as well. Therefore, I think it is the UT engine itself.

)(@\/

Acrappa

Oh Come On
Mar 2, 2001
www.rampancy.net
I've given UT 180 MB RAM and can last 30-60 minutes before it quits.

You know what would rock? A program that quits the Finder and launches Infiltration/UT so we can allocate even more RAM to the application.

There actually is something like this for Quake3 and it's supposed to work with other games, but whenever I press the "Launch" button to launch my game, it doesn't do anything. If anyone knows how to program, it should be relatively easy to do. You just need one button that quits the Finder and another that launches the application. Here's the Game Launcher website URL:

http://home.earthlink.net/~drrom/index2.htm

You would think that you could perform this task with AppleScript, but I've not been able to do so. You can do this:

tell application Finder
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;activate
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;quit
end tell

But once Finder has quit, it can't go select the application and then open it. Anyone have any ideas?

<p align="right">
sig2.gif
</p>&nbsp;&nbsp;

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Ghillie:
Try opening the UT console ("~" by default), and typing "flush". This will flush the UT cache, and if you do this every few minutes, you shouldn't have the unexpected quits (as much at least) whil playing. Some people have even raw-key bound this command to things like their reload or fire-mode keys.

Acrappa:
I seem to remember some little utilities that quite the finder as well. I'll see if I can scrounge any up, and will post links to them here.

sigdarkness.jpg

Assistant Coordinator,
Contributing Editor &
Graphic Artist
LIFE GAMING (RLG)</A>

ghillie

Feb 23, 2000
california, usa
Visit site
I'll give it a try

Thanks Darkness, I will try that and see if I get any better results. As for quiting the finder, you can run an apple script that quits the finder (I tweaked one I found on resexcellence) is that a: it doesn't free up enough memory to really make it worth wile and b: I found that after a while (using say six times in the course of a day) that the finder got a little twitchy and would unexpectedly quit and always at the most in opportune time. It's one of those "use at your own risk" kinda things.

The only easy day was
yesterday!

Acrappa

Oh Come On
Mar 2, 2001
www.rampancy.net
It frees enough to make a difference! My Finder takes up 30-50 MB of RAM! It doesn't do anything while I play UT. The addition of that much RAM does matter since it's about 20% of my total RAM.

<p align="right">
sig2.gif
</p>&nbsp;&nbsp;

ghillie

Feb 23, 2000
california, usa
Visit site
~shrugs~ It is one of those typical Mac things, I have never had the "Memory Creep" problem that has plagued other Mac users. The finder in my system has never used more than 28 meg even when I was runing on 128 meg of ram and had several other apps open at the same time. When ever I quit the finder the extra didn't seem to make things any better. As with every thing computer related one problem may haunt half the people using any given piece of software while the other half may ask themselves "what the hell are these other people talking about, that has never happend to me". Go figure

The only easy day was
yesterday!

E

Evil-Matt

same problem!

iMac G3 500mhz
MACos 9.0.4
128mb built in ram
300mb virtual memory
Rage128 pro ATI

clean restarting wont work for me.
WHAT IS WRONG???!!! :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :confused: :) :( :eek: