1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ak47

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Sniper69, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Gholam

Gholam Sergeant (Reserve), IDF

Not milspec.

2. Kaoh

Kaoh MP_Clan member

I want that Baby Eagle, please it is so cute....

again some sarcasm on my part ;)

3. EzeKeiL

EzeKeiL Marksmen

gholam thats real right? unlike the last one. that was hilarious by the way. well the video was atleast

4. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

BTW didn't Finnish snipers in WW2 use open sight rifles as well to rack up their incredible kill counts?

5. Gnam

Gnam Member

Damn, that Mossberg 695 is pretty cool. It owuld make an interesting addition to inf. The only problem seems to be that it would be clumsy switching realistically between the pellets and the slugs, and the various other ammo types without just shooting the rounds that you don't need at the moment and then loading in the type you need; you would probably nned to add an extra command or 2. What do you guys think?

6. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

I wish some army or other would start using the Neostadt.

That's a pump gun with two magazines.

Unless you had some other attachment in mind for the Mossberg, the attachment key would probably be the "inf" way to switch ammo type.

7. Destructo6

Destructo6 8404

Rifled shotgun barrels are designed to shot sabot slugs, with great results, only. It is possible to put shot through them, but the results will be poor.

Smooth bore shotgun barrels can fire both shot and rifled slugs with good results.

8. Jantteri

Jantteri Need a target?

Check this.

9. Nny the devourer

Nny the devourer MG Whore

Did anyone else notice a sniper discussion in an ak-47 post?

by teh wayanyone that might have the knoowledge...can you tell me who was responsible for coining the term "battle rifle" (and yes i know what it reffers to, i just wondered who came about getting people to say it)

10. TitanBlue

TitanBlue KATSU AKIGATA WA NAN DESUKA

M14 (7,62x51) = Battle Rifle
    M16 (5,56x45) = Assault Rifle

H&K G3 (7,62x51) = Battle Rifle
    H&K HK33 (5,56x45) = Assault Rifle

AK-47 (7,62x39) = Battle Rifle
    AK-74 (5,45x39) = Assault Rifle

Difference BR/AR?
    • Higher effective range (500-600m instead of 300-400m)
    • less weight to carry (see below, ignore G11 toy :p)
    • more ammo to carry (see below, ignore G11 toy :p)

[​IMG]

TitanBlue :con:

11. Nny the devourer

Nny the devourer MG Whore

ugggg, doesnt answer my question though as to who coined the term.

the reason being is if i remember historically (and by the way this in no way shape or form should be read to someone to mean these are how people percieve things today) a sum machine gun was a fully automatic weapon that fired pistol rounds. Didnt much have to do with size as some of them were pretty large when first developed.

then came the term assualt rifle which i belived was coined in refenrence to fully automatic stanard rifle sized weapons firing rifle rounds. The only ones that had been around previous where very heavy mountable versions, then eventaully lighter, man carriable but still rather bulky and large (browning automatic rifle).

now at some point people stated reffering to battle rifles seperating assualt and battle based on caliber. Now considering how many different caliber (both width and length) rounds have been fired throughout time I find this a bit silly (particularly since it reffers to an ak-47 as a battle rifle and it was sold undre the monicer assualt rifle). Because even though we find a lot of military hardware centered around two different rounds, that has more to do with the fact that specialization reduces cost then anything (as in to say if one military uses a particular round and the market is flooded with ammo for it....it makes more sense for a lot of gun makes to work off that round if it is within their specs then to design a gun for a new one)

so does anyone know who coined the term?

12. SaraP

SaraP New Member

A battle rifle uses full-power rifle ammunition (7.62x54 NATO), while an assault rifle uses lower-powered intermediate (5.56x39mm or 7.62x39mm) rounds for increased control in full-auto.

13. Destructo6

Destructo6 8404

Who coined the terms "submachinegun" and "assault rifle"? Is that your question?

I believe John(?) Thompson first used the term "submachinegun" to refer to his newly developed weapon of the same name.

Adolf Hitler christened the newly revealed MP-44, the "sturmgewehr", which is translated literally as "storm rifle". The more accurate translation is "assault rifle". The MP (machinepistol/submachinegun) designation was later changed to Stg ("sturmgewehr").

14. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

IMHO

An assault rifle is a weapon that fires an intermediate (less powerful) round.

The two ways to go with intermediate rounds are shorter (7.62*39mm for example) or narrower (5.56*45mm).

The StG44 fired an intermediate 7.92mm round.

There was an automatic rifle firing the longer round (the FG42 paratrooper rifle - designed to replace light machineguns, rifles and SMG's, fascinatingly) which was dropped in favour of the Assault Rifle.

Assault rifle refers as much to the concept of "Since a modern (modern for WW2) soldier will only really be engaging targets at around 600 metres, lets not equip him with ammo that can engage targets out to sniper rifle ranges but weighs a lot more" as it does to any specific bit of hardware. That was what the original was designed with in mind (although I think the distance there may have been 400 metres).

SMG does normally refer to small (compared to a machinegun, I guess) automatic weapons firing pistol ammo, but some rifle caliber weapons (CAR15, HK53 etc. etc.) with very short barrels do a good job of blurring the borders between categories.

15. Destructo6

Destructo6 8404

To be a nitpicker, that should be:

7.62x51 NATO
    7.62x54 Russian rimmed
    5.56x45 NATO
    5.45x39 Russian
    7.62x39 Russian

16. Gholam

Gholam Sergeant (Reserve), IDF

Ahem, TitanBlue, the M1943 7.62x39mm is an intermediate power cartridge, falling between 7.62x25mm (.30 Mauser) and 7.62x54mm at the time of it's development. AK-47 (and AKM) are definitely assault rifles, not battle rifles.

17. TitanBlue

TitanBlue KATSU AKIGATA WA NAN DESUKA

nobody is perfect ;)

yepp, you're right Gholam. I was wrong

TitanBlue :con:

18. Pale Assassin

Pale Assassin New Member

An AK-47 would be a sweet addition to the mod, I just love the way it looks and sounds, and its a challenge to use.