1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ak47

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Sniper69, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Gnam

Gnam Member

Sorry to bring back an old subject, but I never actually read anyone's responses to my question, so I had to come back and read em. Thanks for the info. BTW, the MSG-90 the same gun that's also called the PSG-90, or that a different one? Anyway, I think you guys are right about having a larger number of weapons, it's just too bad that the team isn't really big enough to make all of them and still put out updates on a relatively frequent basis. Oh yeah, and since someone mentioned "historic" weapons, what about the Colt 45? Heh, it would also be funny to see a Rev War or Civil War mutator, with bayonetts, long reloading times, and linear tactics. Heh, what about a bow an arrow? I saw in some book about modern warfare that the Spanish military still uses bows in some situations since they make no noise compared to a firearm.

2. Gholam

Gholam Sergeant (Reserve), IDF

MSG-90 is semi-only accurized G3 battle rifle. It uses the same reciever, same bolt, same magazines, but a higher quality barrel, different furniture, and a safe-semi trigger group (Puncher/TitanBlue correct me if I'm getting something wrong). PSG-1 is an MSG-90 with custom-made furniture, a wierd tripod instead of a bipod, a welded-on scope, and a huge price tag. I'll disregard the rest of your post because I've got to head out and I don't feel like writing a flame right now.

3. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Umm..

http://www.hkpro.com
    is probably the place to look.

Off the top of my head:
    PSG-1 is a very modified version of the G3. It uses the same action, but has a specially manufactured barrel, stock, trigger mechanism and permamently mounted (welded to the receiver - that'd suck if you dropped it) scope. It is designed for precision fire and rapid followup shots by a police marksman. I think very well equiped police and special forces units use them. It is just too heavy and expensive for military use.

The MSG-90 is cheaper, lighter and simpler. The scope can be removed. It can take any G3 trigger group, so you can use it for automatic fire (although the barrel is not quick release or anything). The US use an improved version with iron sights and a threaded barrel etc.

4. Gnam

Gnam Member

It's fortunate for you that you didn't, since that wasn't meant to be taken seriously in the first place.
    Anyway, the gun I was thinking of was the AI L96A1, which later got renamed to the PSG-90, but it's bolt action, so it would be a bad replacement for the PSG-1 anyway. It looks nice though, and that's all that matters right? :rolleyes:
    BTW, I just noticed they have UT smilies. That's awesome. :Pulse:

5. Tiffy

Tiffy Back to champion the L85

You sure about this. The L96 is the current British Army sniper rifle and I can find no mention anywhere of it being changed to the PSG-90.

6. shadowkil

shadowkil New Member

Btw, I did hear some tell of H&K shipping a few PSG-1's either with scope rings or maybe it was just tapped for rings instead of permanently affixing a scope. I'm hoping that when they change it to an MSG90 that we have the option of taking it with open sights =)

7. TitanBlue

TitanBlue KATSU AKIGATA WA NAN DESUKA

IIRC we'll never get a removable ACOG unless it is a) milspec and b) can be field-mounted without tools an re-zeroing the sight. There are many threads about this point...

[edit1]Oups, MSG90 has a detachable scope mounting with 100% zero retention after repeated dismounting. In this case: c) IIRC the team said NO :D[/edit1]

[edit2] @ Gholam: the H&K MSG90 usually has the PSG1 trigger-group. But IMO H&K is flexible if the right one orders ;)[/edit2]

TitanBlue :con:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2002
  8. Gnam

Gnam Member

I saw it in some guns book my dad gave me, maybe I just got the name wrong or something, but I'm pretty sure I was looking at the right page when I typed it out. I don't have the book with me at the moment, so I can't double check. If I can remember to bring it to my mom's house, I'll just scan the page.

9. Liquid Night

Liquid Night Argumentative type.

A scope that retains zero after dis/re mounting will not happent in inf. no way. outlandish

10. shadowkil

shadowkil New Member

Umm, if you were responding to my post, I was in no way asking to be able to remove the scope and attach it again in the field, I just want to be able to take the MSG90 with open sights, period.

11. TitanBlue

@ shadowkil:

Haven't found a hint that the MSG90 iron sights can be used with mounted scope on the H&K website. So if H&K doesn't claim this for the MSG90 I guess it won't work.

BTW the scope blocks the sight of the iron sight (HKPro):

"The MSG90A1 is now made for the U.S. Department of Defense. The only differences from it and the standard MSG90 are the threaded barrel and flash hider, (which will also accept a sound suppressor) and open sight capability. The rear iron sight is the 1200 meter variety, as on the HK21E and 23E series machine guns. The scope must be removed to use the open sights however."

12. Gholam

Why do you want to use an MSG90 with open sights though? Do you want an equivalent of a battle rifle?

13. TitanBlue

I guess he wants a sniper-rifle with short/near-distance abilities.

14. Gholam

15. TitanBlue

Not exactly Gholam. More a sniper rifle where he can quickly use the iron sights when the enemy is too close for scope, you know what I mean? :D

16. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

A sniper shotgun??? That's about the sickest thing I ever saw!

But then for urban terrain only it has quite a few advantages, espcially for police use, when civilians might be harmed.

Guess that's the first sniper weapon with 130m maximum range :D

Snakeye :D

17. Gholam

Technically, Mossberg 695 is a rifle capable of firing 12ga shotgun loads... extremely flexible weapon for urban fighting. You can have pellet loads for building entry, breaching loads for shooting out locks, and slugs that are as accurate as a rifle bullet in a single gun...

TitanBlue, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think on a Galil you can have both the scope and iron sights; the scope mount attaches to left side of the reciever.

18. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

Yes, damnit, I want the equivalent of a battle rifle :)

19. shadowkil

shadowkil New Member

NO! I do NOT want optics all the time. I want to be able to take a real rifle (30 caliber that is) with open sights. OPEN sights. NO scope ;) Maybe not all the time, and I may be at a slight disadvantage sometimes, but I want the ability to do this. I do not want to use the irons and the optics at the same time.

edit: Yes, I want a battle rifle =b I just dig shooting .30 caliber on iron sights... something about it just feels right, ya know? In case the above is in any way unclear (how I mentioned maybe not all the time) I mean that if I want a telescope, I'll make a seperate loadout for it, but I want a loadout with just iron sights.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2002
  20. EzeKeiL

EzeKeiL Marksmen

SNIPER PISTOL!!!!!:mwink: