AK-47: not all wonders.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
Psychology is one of the most deciding factors in combat. For example, the Finnish winter war of WWII. Russia invaded Finland, with a great number of tanks and men. The finnish were badly equiped and had a shortage of men. The finnish soldiers kicked some serious russian ass, despite being outnumbered and outgunned. They were protecting their country from an age old enemy, whereas the russians were far from home, and not very experienced.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
As for the Finish war and the kill ratios obtained by the Finnish soldiers i'd have to attributew some of that to the "tactics" (hahahahahahahaha) employed by the Russian army at the time... I remember reading about a batttle (i forgot where) where the russians simply stormed across the same road onto prepared defenses every day at the exact same time for several days. They finally had to cease attacking because they could simply not get across the road anymore because it was completely blocked with corpses and burt out vehicles. Not that hard to rack up some impressive bodycounts against an army that uses that kind of tactics :).

As for the AK47 and supression, why not use the 7,62x39 silent rounds... they are close d cirquit meaning COMPLETELY silent. the ONLY thing you'll hear is the bolt striking the round. One disadvantage is theobvious reduction in range and power. They would work fine in CQB or at ranges up to about 100m (about the same as most SMG's). Though i'm not entirely sure the AK47 can fire that round (as it can no longer cycle automatically). They are also made in 9x39mm which can be used with the OC-14 assault rifle.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
basically... there are some 6 variations on it in different calibers and firepower. the 9x39mm should be useable out to 200m. Not bad for a completely soundless round.

Spetznaz_1

Special-Purpose
May 28, 2001
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
Originally posted by mtk1974
The AK is a SUPERB weapon, especially in todays refined versions. The AK-74M is more than adequate as an assault rifle, and its one of my favorites. It's light, controllable, accurate, and very attractive;) If you guys want an AK in INF, it should be a 74M, in my humble opinion.

The Arsenal AKMSU is not a real weapon. Bulgaria Arsenal never made a stamped receiver short AK in 7.62. Same goes for 5.56. If you don't believe me, then go buy a copy of the Tokoi AK book, or maybe the Bolotin Russian Arms book. You won't see it there. The only short, stamped AK in 7.62 is the AK104. If you guys can show me some other evidence that proves otherwise, i'll admit that i'm wrong, but since there is none...

Zefran, no offense, but anyone can clean an AK;) That's one reason why the Soviets liked it so much. I tought my wife, who knows nothing about guns, how to take my AKM down and clean it in about 2 minutes.

Also, the Soviets make a suppressor for the AKM, AKSU, and one for the Bizon and Groza SMGs, and Sako makes one for the RK92. The latest AKs also have an optics rail, which allows you to mount anything from a PSO, to the KOBPA collimator, to a Weaver rail adapter.

Sorry for such the long post, just thought i should vindicate my favorite weapons system;)

Here's the AK103 (7.62*39mm) and the AK-101 (5.56*45mm)
AK101.JPG

AK103.JPG

Oh in case you were confused the AK-103 is the second gun. As for the AKMSU is a real weapon, i posted a pic of it in the "post pisc of guns" thread as for it being in production i don't know.

As for the Vietnamese: They would have beaten America anyway as they were highly motivated and all prepared to die for their country. They also beat the Imperial French as well. This statistically makes them the best army in the world as they have beaten the two most powerful countries at the time they beat them.

zefran

May 6, 2001
Visit site
As an Infantry soldier, and, having a lot of knowledge on the Vietnam war, I can say we did not LOSE for a lack of motivation, but more for a lack of non-restraint. Politicans are Morons, and most don't know squat about warfare. They love to send soldiers into a combat area, but because of "politics", the love to limit the ability of the soldier but limiting the tools he can use, and limiting what he can do.

We were trained to be effective stone cold killers. Thats that, plain a simple. When you send us to war, we will mess the enemies shiz up, and all we ask, is if your not fighting by our side, you stand in the rear and let us do our job. Its when we are restrained, we are kept from doing what is NEEDED to be done to win.

Two good examples rise of out this from both Vietnam and Somolia.

#1. In Vietnam, we KNEW the Vietcong were using boardering countries (Loas etc) to move equipment. We would not move into these countries in FORCE to stop them before they moved very far south because of "Politics". Soldiers were restrained from doing what needed to be done to finish the job, thus, eventually, we had to leave.

#2. Somolia. When the Task force ranger moved into Mogadishu and got caught in a big firefight, what was needed to get them out was armor. Politicans decided it would not be politically correct to send armor to somolia because it would not be politically correct since it was not a war. But they send in soldiers to fight a war in the city. 18 soldiers died because of this logistical blunder.

So don't say for a second it was the fault of the US fighting men and women who would have been beaten, blame the politicians for their logisitical bluders/F**ked up ideas.

Oh yeah, for any of you who have read black hawk down, check this out.

http://www.nightstalkers.com/tfranger/movie/Default.html

Read this if you want to know what went wrong in somolia.
http://www.specialoperations.com/Operations/Restore_Hope/97-0364.pdf
-Jason

Last edited: