1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Airsoft] What should I get next?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fauker, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

I wouldn't trust CA, they're well known for their poor quality.

Why don't you just buy a stock TM SR-16 or TM M16A2. Then, buy customes RIS kit and you're ready to go. Sniping in airsoft isn't that much fun anyway. Maybe upgraded with metal bushings and PDI 150%. It's really all you need, it doesn't even works on your internals and will give you plenty of range. Don't spend all your money on one gun, there's PLENTY more thing to buy in airsoft. Ie : Good charger, Mags ( lots of locap ), good optic/rds, kneedpads, camelbak ( really useful )... Anyway, just my .02 $

2. Prowler

Prowler "Building Better Worlds"

People who choose CA over other brands only like the gun because it feels heavy, but for the same price you could upgrade a TM m16a2 into a full metal one and giving it a CA barrel without having to worry about quality of the gun, because I hear that alot of CA guns faults vary per customer. TM guns are good but they need upgrading and IMO upgrading a TM is alot better then buying a fully upgraded full metal one.

And I agree, there is alot more usefull things you can buy. if your in canada (lucky you :) check out www.sealsactiongear.com for some nice tactical gear NO SURPLUS SOLD HERE. It's all new and some of it is custom made, very good store.

Here is a random tip: Don't get those double mag clamp things, use them for indoors only. Like in real life, they only just get dirty internally when they are exposed like that outdoors and that causes jams.. Single mags are easier to store anyways.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  3. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

The CA M15A4's are supposed to be a lot better than the TM's, aparently the internals are already upgraded, and the build quality is ment to be great. I've read a load of reviews on a few UK airsoft sites. The A3's and below all had major flaws, but the A4 is supposed to be a huge improvement.

I'm gonna head down to Wolf-Armories some time and have a look around the store. If I decide I dont like the M15A4, I'll for the SR16.

4. Quze

Quze ever hopeful

Guys, anyone seriously interested in acting as a sniper in airsoft games needs a bolt-action rifle (the best two examples are the APS-2 by Maruzen and the M24 by Classic Army). I'm not sure of the general power limits which sights in America enforce, but in the UK you're not going to get away with using any AEG with an average power of more than 330 fps. This is not nearly powerful enough for serious sniping. Bolt action rifles, however, can be legally upgraded and used to 500 fps. In my opinion it's a waste of time mounting magnification optics onto anything less than 500 fps. (My M4A1 upgraded to 330 is sporting a sexy little Aimpoint replica at the moment.)

Anyway, for all things airsoft-related, check this epic 'Beginner's guide to Airsofting'.
    http://www.airsoftohio.com/dynamic.php?s=&action=newbiefaq&menu=2&pos=40

Edit: Yeah Snakebite, Wolf Armouries are the mutt's nuts. I went in there the other day, and one of the blokes nocked a fiver off some £40 Guarder safety specs just 'coz I told him that I play at the same place as him (Combat South). :)
    You can definately get cheaper AEGs from AirsoftArmoury (they've just lowered a load of Tokyo Maruis to under £200) but the Wolf guys are complete dudes, and sell gear (eyewear, clothes, BBs, webbing etc) at cheaper prices than AA. 10/10.

Edit2: Snakebite where do you/will you play? We should meet up sometime.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  5. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

I really recommend SealsActionGear too, I've dealed with John 3 times and he's really amazing. If your planing on playing under the sun/heavy temperature, GET A CAMELBAK. Thats the best ****ing piece of gear I ever got, whenever your thirsty, just bite and drink. Amazing.

And snakebite, there is at least one SR-25 out there in development and I don't mean made out of armalite 5.56 receiver, I mean the exact replica of an SR-25 but they will cost you a lot more than you want to pay.

6. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Drool @ Sr-25 :)

Check out Arnies Airsoft for a [Edit - left work half way through a post] review of the M15A4. Scored really well, the guy love it :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  7. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Quze, not decided on a place to play yet. Anywhere I can get to via public transport I guess, I have a mate at work who's up for some action too, so perhaps he'll pointme towards some decent sites.

8. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

My post from UKAN:

------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, thanks for your help with this. I ended up going to Wolf Armouries in Camden this morning before I went to work. The staff there were great, and I spoke to them about the M15A4 and the SR-16.
    They didnt have the M15A4 in stock and pretty much refused to get it in due to all the problems they have had with it In the end I picked up the SR-16 with their 'starter' kit.
    The SR-16 looked and felt a lot better than I thought it would, which kinda made me want it on the spot

What I bought: (Inc VAT)

TM SR-16 boxed - £249
    Starter Kit £99
    Total spending before I got to work: £349.99

The starter kit contained 2 large Sanyo batteries, 3000 rounds of ammo and a high cap mag & a 100ml can of AE APS3 lube.

I got to shoot the gun in the shop before I made the choice to purchase it, and I was very happy with the way it felt. I'm gonna give it a good play around on the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

So thanks again for all your help!
    ------------------------------------------------

9. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

You're way better with an SR-16, thats the main weapon of one of my friend and if I had to buy one again, I would pick that one up instead of my SD5. It's light, not very long and has a large battery capacity. Everything you can dream of in one single gun. As for the starter kit, well I don't really understand the use of 2 batteries, nor the lube ( can't be bad though ) but personnaly, I would buy the following, in order

Good googles ( depends of where you play, I recommend ESS Tactical Googles or Bolle t-800 but your field may not accept them since they're not paintball rated )
    Good charger ( not cheap wallcharger )
    discharger ( if you only have a wallcharger, you can make one yourself if you know how with electronic components, PM me for details )
    LBV / webbing
    camo
    4-5-6 x low cap magazine

By the way, when you started airsoft, you can't stop buying. You'll see. :)

10. Quze

Quze ever hopeful

Yeah that's true Shrap, heh (even when your bank goes dry... )

Snake, go back to Wolf Armouries and pick up a pair of Guarder shooting glasses, they're awesome. There's a review of them on Arnie's, they come with clear, blue, yellow and shaded lenses and a really nice carrying case. Very good all round protection, anti-fogged, and they come with an insert for your own lenses, all at 35 quid!

Pick up some G&P midcaps for 18 quid each.

11. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Yeah, the dude in the shop told me to get the mids. Aparently they rock.
    I was just firing my gun in the Garden, and I have a question:
    Is there any way to stop dry firing? Whenever I run out of ammo I end up firing one or two ghost shots, after hearing the sound I know I have to reload, but usually there are 1 or 2 bb's left in the mag well. Is this normal?

12. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

The only way to fire all the BBs in the mag is to fire in automatic in one salva. Otherwise, there will be 4-5 bb's stuck in the magwell that will fall when you'll remove the mag. There's no way to stop the dry fire though since it's electric. It doesn't hurt your gun if you don't do it on purpose. Don't forget to always fire a semi shot before you're going to store your gun, else the spring MAY still be compressed, and that's very bad.

13. Ranger 223

Ranger 223 MS Paint Pimp

shrap, the spring wont stay compressed. the only gun that the spring stays compressed in, is the PSG-1. THe way the fire cycle goes, is motor winds gears, gears draw back piston/spring, release so theres no way the spring could stay compressed. Only the PSG-1 will stay compressed, and there is a way to decompress it for long term storage. the fire cycle on the PSG-1 goes fire, motor winds the gears, draws back the piston so the piston is already charged and ready to fire when the PSG-1's trigger is pulled.

14. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

I always leave mine in safe when I store it, is that wrong?

15. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

Ranger, you're wrong bud. If you remove your finger from the trigger while the cycle ( gears cycling, compressing spring, firing ) isn't finished, the spring WILL be compressed. It doesn't happens often but just to be sure, fire a shot in semi before storing it. I've seen it happen a few time, if you want to know what I mean, just give a small push to your AEG in automatic fire, you will hear the spring getting compressed but it won't fire.

Snakebite : nothing's wrong with that.

16. Ranger 223

Ranger 223 MS Paint Pimp

well, i'll take your word for it, but in my 5 years of airsoft experience i have never heard it. Maybe it's just your AEG, even the slightest tap of the trigger on my AK (i mean miniscule tap) will send a bb flying cross room at 395 fps.

17. kungpaosamuraiii

kungpaosamuraiii HOVER TANKS

Isn't it better to be stored in safe?

Anyways, I finally found a military surplus store. Would it work the same if I got all my gear from there? Tac goggles and all?

Which reminds me.. I've heard tell of some dudes that turned themselves into Land Warriors with digital cameras and GPS and stuff. Not too smart if you ask me but pretty damn cool.

18. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

I didn't really played with AKs, it does happens with MP5 tough, you can clearly hear the motor being driven, if you have a chance to get your hands on one, try it. It only happens when you interrupt the sequence by removing your finger from the trigger at the wrong time.

Snakebite and kungpao : What I mean is : before storage, fire a clear semi shot to be sure that the spring is uncompressed. Then put it on safe, remove your battery and store your gun.

kungpao, any pics of those guys ? Some of our guys uses Night Vision googles over here but thats about it. Don't get your googles from surplus store, they usually only carry cheap googles that aren't paintball rated. My suggestion is to buy good thermal paintball googles OR, if your field allows it ( which is rare if its a paintball field ) tactical googles like ESS Tactical, T-800 from Bolle or Hatch low profile googles. I have the ESS tactical and I'm quite pleased with them. Most people over here use those with some modification ( PC fan on the top to suck the air ). As for the rest of the gear, I picked all mine in surplus when I begun. Camo, webbing, winter camo, etc. Watch out though, airsoft M16 mags are a bit larger/wider than normal ones and may not fit in some webbing/lbvs/chest rigs. If its the case, 2 mags pouch will become 1 mag pouch, which sucks. Try it before you buy it. :) It's rare that it doesn't fit though.

19. kungpaosamuraiii

kungpaosamuraiii HOVER TANKS

Well, no. I just heard of them... friend's cousins' girlfriend's uncle's roomate's mom's ex's friend sorta deal you know?

Thanks for the tip.. with a buncha 15 yr old CS geek friends I'll be pimpin in my military webbing and ALICE pack and Kevlar helmet and stuff :rockon:

20. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

:lol: That's the way to go ! :D

But I would personnaly forget the Kevlar helmet, those things are uncomfortable to wear and becomes hot really fast. Wear a boonie or a rag, much easier to handle and you really don't need an helmet anyway. :)