AI bird flocks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

anix

Jun 21, 2004
I am making a level where I need to make a flock of birds that will wander around and fly away when you come near them. I cant find anywhere that has a sort of tutorial for something like this. Can anyone help?

monkey8

Apr 4, 2004
anix said:
I am making a level where I need to make a flock of birds that will wander around and fly away when you come near them. I cant find anywhere that has a sort of tutorial for something like this. Can anyone help?
Have a "leader" of the flock that flys around. Then adjust the rest based on where he is and the rest of the flock is, so they space out/make formations. Of course if the leader dies, you need to set another as the leader.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
why not just have all of them have a collision radius and each time that collision radius is entered they fly away...

anix

Jun 21, 2004
how would I do any of those things? I tried using UnrealScriptedSequence but that got me nowhere. Is there something I would have to write myself?

aardvarkk

May 7, 2004
you're definitely gonna have to learn some unrealscript to do what these people suggested...

anix

Jun 21, 2004
I know a little unreal script, like simple data types that I watched on the DVD that came with UT2K4 but all they did really was explain how OOP works, but I know java and C++ pretty well so that didnt really help much. I'm trying to find a site for it now.

mute_dammit

Just mute, dammit!
Sep 11, 2001
ZeRaW said:
check http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/AIControllers#AI_Controllers
i think there is someth on birds in ScriptedController sec. ;)
Sure, sounds like it'd be a lot easier to use the built-in flocks... but which version are they built into? 2004 doesn't include those classes, sadly. Are they available as a download or something?

I thought this sounded interesting, so I'm working on a flocking controller and pawn right now using a very pacified razorfly as a base. I'll let ya (whoever is reading this thread 2 years from now) know how it goes. So far I've just barely scratched the surface, getting a lone "bird" to properly explore a landscape without many non-terrain bits (eg ONS-Dawn). Next comes collision detection / avoidance, then finally... maybe... flocking.

pospi

Jun 30, 2003
www.pospi.cjb.net
you might want to watch the game 'painkiller'... there is an expansion pack coming out which features among other things a level editor and the SDK.. it might help to see how painkiller handles its flock AI, which is really cool.

For those who dont know, it has flocks of birds which react when you walk near them, swarm and even pick at the dead bodies of other creatures.. would be pretty insane to have something like this in UT :)

NVShacker

if (think(leet)) kill(scriptkiddey.head)
Jul 25, 2000
Lost in your eyes
It would but you do realise that with totally different game engines, the only thing you'll be able to port is the basic concept, not very helpful.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Short answer anix: requires UnrealScript coding beyond your skills. Learn UScript or make birds fly overhead as in DM-CBP2-KillBillyBarn.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Dues ex had something like this you may want to have a look at there code for some help.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think this is beyond possible with only a smal amount of coding. Someone get me a chicken model, with animations for flying.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
would be pretty insane to have something like this in UT :)
Why? It's just BASIC code. Like Sir_Brizz stated above, I think I could do this in a couple of hours if someone provided me with the graphics. Of course having said that, will I actually do it... that's something to think about.

It would but you do realise that with totally different game engines, the only thing you'll be able to port is the basic concept, not very helpful.
Not that it even matters. Simply put, you could do whatever other engine does to a certain extent. Most ideas that are from other games can easily be made in Unreal ... to almost striking similar behaviour.

In any case, the mother cow and the baby cow could help with basic flocking code. This source is found in UT99. Also other UT99 code scripts tutorials had examples on how to make bots follow you and so on... those principles can easily be applied here.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I am just unwilling to start on a graphical project without someone already having the graphics done :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
classic programmer. I wasn't saying it would get done before December or anything ;)