Aggggh! Damn you Micro$oft! Damn you to hell!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Hmm.
Just bought a new hard disk (a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20Gb, ATA-100, but on an ATA-66 controller...).
And I partitioned it with a Linux primary partition (about 250 Mb), then an extended partition with a mix of Linux + Fat32 logical partitions... the FAT32 ones at the front.

Then, I boot into Windows 98 (which is on my Primary HDD), and it only detects the FAT32 partitions which start below about 8Gb into the disk. Which I can deal with.
However, it also refuses to even format the first logical partition on the disk - claiming that the disk is damaged. (I also sometimes get that wonderful error "A device attached to the system is not functioning correctly".)
Windows has no problem with the other logical partitions it can see on the same drive.
Linux has no problem with *any* of the partitions on the drive.
Maxtor's own diagnostic utilities can find no problem with the drive, even running repeated burn-in tests, and full surface read-write tests.

So...what the hell is going on?

(Note, it always seems to be the first logical partition that windows can see which has this problem - I tried repartitioning so that there was 500mb of non-dos partition, then the first FAT32 partition (assuming that any errors can't possibly cover more than 1/2 Gb of a disk) - and I get the same error...)