After playing UT99 & 2K4...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It isnt smooth, It doesnt feel easy, you have to think too hard when someone just jumps, I hate the weapon damage, the size of everything to models. Rockets are half as big as players. I feel like a fat man that can jump high, there is absolutely nothing that looks violent as it suppose to be in it, not even sharp objects. Too colourful, too bright, atmosphere is not dark and handsome, its more like get ready to jump. FlakCannon's look annoys the heck out of me because it looks so weak, compared to ut, and ut one seems like it has more polys in first person view. Link secondary sucks, takes too long to die, need more carnage (if you check my ut2004 first mod in ut2004 forum I made mtuator that blows up bodies), It is fast paced but yet when I walk I feel slow.

Edit: Animations are too slow, and not violent fast ( I can see them move from a to b instead of boom already at b).

Wha? Isn't smooth? What do you mean? Doesn't feel easy? In UT1 you feel like a brick, and that's absolutely not easy. Killing players should be challenging, it's not just massacre. The weapon damage is balanced - you can't hit too much without thinking and switching. Size? What about it? Everything's bigger there, but just for better detail. Rockets are fine, and they have wonderful emitter work. Seeing too much violence isn't good. Colours = great, no damp one-coloured map with nothing interesting in it and only in tech style. Flak Cannon is the best there, it's not bounce-spammy but ricochets like it should. And UT Flak is overpowered. The mesh is clean, though I like both designs. Link was dampened a lot, yes, and it's inaccurate, but the Pulse was overpowered and even changed its beam length from server to server. The fast-pacedness depends on the map and bot settings, in ONS-Torlan of course you're slow as it's vast. Animations are the weak point, yes, I don't like how unnatural they feel (except for aliens as you can't know how they should be and Thundercrash male skins). But the speed is very nice. I have no idea why you think it's not good.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Speed is bad, speed is much slower than ut2003 where it was fast paced and towards more the quake style and to find ut2004 finally somehow enjoyable i had to activate tons of mutators, but the vanilla gameplay without anything is bad.
And the bots, when there is lag they move like retards turning all around and shaking like :rolleyes::doh: and are not feeling like bots but a dumb things the ai is exgremely dumb on its own.

I don't care what majority thinks about ut2004, because majority is from most part brainwashed masses of people without real opinion.

I think this game is made for kids or teens at all (or furries beacuse of the cartoonish style and COLORS, OMG THESE COLORS ARE EVRYWHERER HIDING IN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), when you grow older you'll find it really awful.
Oh and IT HAS BOOBS, EVEN THIS ONE MAP HAS BOOBS AND LOOK WE HAVE THE SHAPE OF MAP WHICH RESEMBLES BOOBS AND IT IS A LOT MUCH MORE POLISHED GAME AND ARGGHHHHH ADSZU1337H4XOR BRAINDAMAGE:crazydance:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
o_O Get a good sleep :)
Actually, I somehow didn't notice any change between UT2003 and 2004 other than those I listed in the "Bring back UT2003 stuff" thread (still named Link projectile the UT2003 way :) ). For the speed, there's that mutator there. You can set it to what you like. About the bots, they're not better than the UT1 ones. They can even use turrets, vehicles and w/e they find. Turn on Godlike, you'll see what I mean. Though when maps are pathed badly, AI gets a little worse, but that's the issue with UT1 too. In UT2004 you can get that "get into a vehicle, try to drive and get out" phenomenon when you don't have any AssaultPath actors, but UT1 bots run in a very annoying straight line way even when they have tons of space. I mean duh, they are extremely easy to headshot there.
Bots don't lag. Get a new rig that can hold the graphics, that's all.
The text below that point in your message is, umm, nonsense. :p

Actually, this is posted in UT1 forum. Post that in UT2KX forum and you'll see a change.

Still, all Unreals are great. Hail Epic! They just are different and needs to get used to.

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
Wha? Isn't smooth? What do you mean? Doesn't feel easy? In UT1 you feel like a brick, and that's absolutely not easy. Killing players should be challenging, it's not just massacre. The weapon damage is balanced - you can't hit too much without thinking and switching. Size? What about it? Everything's bigger there, but just for better detail. Rockets are fine, and they have wonderful emitter work. Seeing too much violence isn't good. Colours = great, no damp one-coloured map with nothing interesting in it and only in tech style. Flak Cannon is the best there, it's not bounce-spammy but ricochets like it should. And UT Flak is overpowered. The mesh is clean, though I like both designs. Link was dampened a lot, yes, and it's inaccurate, but the Pulse was overpowered and even changed its beam length from server to server. The fast-pacedness depends on the map and bot settings, in ONS-Torlan of course you're slow as it's vast. Animations are the weak point, yes, I don't like how unnatural they feel (except for aliens as you can't know how they should be and Thundercrash male skins). But the speed is very nice. I have no idea why you think it's not good.

UT99 is better in bed :fluffle:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It isn't a nonsense, that message has a hidden point you obviously can't see.
Don't take it word by a word, but rather it includes a hidden message in itself.

No, there are many changes in the gameplay, interface and all and all is worse than ut2003. You even said it on the other thread when I mentioned something and now you don't see it suddenly.

Goddamnit it is not just the speed and it's not about rig, I have a rig that can handle later games better this just is badly optimised and bots do lag like f*ck.
And also, the game demos, I would say maybe ut2004 dem was better than ut2003 demo, but the agme is different itself and is better at least online and even with bots it's not taht bad and I don't need to activate tons of mutators to make it playable.

The grapchis are not worth it, I mean wtf the grapchis in ut2k4 suck and these new skaarjs, pfft, actually the cocenpt art stuff fr this game was much better but it never got realized and what is there is even some damn ripoff of u2 skaarj (I think guardian or hows he called), but dumbed down to the extreme.
The good grapchics got basically only the ported ut2003 maps (and some beta ones) and some really outstanding new stuff but the rest is just meh.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
GreatEmerald... I'm speechless.

Wha? Isn't smooth? What do you mean? Doesn't feel easy? In UT1 you feel like a brick, and that's absolutely not easy.
Opinion based argument is flawed by default. And btw bricks have no feelings.
Killing players should be challenging, it's not just massacre.
It's not "just massacre" in UT. You need battle awareness, map control and brain in your head to succeed.
The weapon damage is balanced - you can't hit too much without thinking and switching.
Don't tell me you call shock-shock-shock-sniper combo "thinking". With this kind of "balanced weapon damage" weapons just lost their unique feel. Bio rifle lost its ambush style gameplay with it's ultra-damaging but slow projectile. Mini and pulse have no lockdown anymore (not to mention that link gun is pure joke due to laughable damage output). Lightning gun is one step closer to shock now.
All in all it leads to more bland gameplay with less variety and tactics.
Size? What about it? Everything's bigger there, but just for better detail.
o.0
... I'm shocked.
It looks like we're talking about different games. UT2k4, are you sure? Everything's bigger in original UT actually. In UT2k4 due to the rapid movement, you won't find yourself close to the enemy so you can see him as "big" very often. For the most part you will see your enemy as a small figure moving slowly moving across your screen...

Rockets are fine, and they have wonderful emitter work. Seeing too much violence isn't good.
Once again, we encounter opinion-based argument. Btw that's not demoscene, I don't care how wonderful emitter work is, all I care is the looks and the feel I got from it.

Colours = great, no damp one-coloured map with nothing interesting in it and only in tech style.
That's designers fault, not the game itself actually. Not to mention that UT had pretty impressive maps. Architecture and lightning were used to give each part of the level it unique looks. Maxed saturation doesn't make colours look any better and UT2k4 looks like it wants to burn my eyes for the most part.

Flak Cannon is the best there, it's not bounce-spammy but ricochets like it should. And UT Flak is overpowered. The mesh is clean, though I like both designs. Link was dampened a lot, yes, and it's inaccurate, but the Pulse was overpowered and even changed its beam length from server to server.
It looks like you don't know what you're talking about when speaking about pulse. Yeh, it was powerful, really powerful. But it's no reason to make it unusable in the next game. Btw, beam length is always the same. It's the speed of its growth, and damage that were affected by tickrate.

Ok, now a bit of sarcasm.

So, Flack was overpowered, pulse was overpowered.. What about sniper rifle then? Highest damage per second in game, as far as I remember. Minigun is way too powerful too, and RL is not all that bad at medium to close range, shock is powerful and versatile and bio is almost pure cheat! It can kill anything in 1 hit, you know?

Ok, now I'll turn my sarcasm off.

Don't you think that pattern is pretty obvious here? Almost every weapon is powerful in its own way and has its uses. High damage output leads to intense gameplay with focus on map control and mindagames.
The fast-pacedness depends on the map and bot settings, in ONS-Torlan of course you're slow as it's vast. ... But the speed is very nice. I have no idea why you think it's not good.
Yeh, but it is limited severely by double jumps, double dodges and stuff like that. When player is able to move so fast, small map won't be fast-paced. It will be cramped. And if the map is big... well... you got lice-like players running around the kitchen once again.

Oh, sry, but somehow I felt like going on a rant-spree, sorry ^^

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008

It's not "just massacre" in UT. You need battle awareness, map control and brain in your head to succeed.

Don't tell me you call shock-shock-shock-sniper combo "thinking". With this kind of "balanced weapon damage" weapons just lost their unique feel. Bio rifle lost its ambush style gameplay with it's ultra-damaging but slow projectile. Mini and pulse have no lockdown anymore (not to mention that link gun is pure joke due to laughable damage output). Lightning gun is one step closer to shock now.

o.0
... I'm shocked.
It looks like we're talking about different games. UT2k4, are you sure? Everything's bigger in original UT actually. In UT2k4 due to the rapid movement, you won't find yourself close to the enemy so you can see him as "big" very often. For the most part you will see your enemy as a small figure moving slowly moving across your screen...

Once again, we encounter opinion-based argument. Btw that's not demoscene, I don't care how wonderful emitter work is, all I care is the looks and the feel I got from it.

That's designers fault, not the game itself actually. Not to mention that UT had pretty impressive maps. Architecture and lightning were used to give each part of the level it unique looks. Maxed saturation doesn't make colours look any better and UT2k4 looks like it wants to burn my eyes for the most part.

It looks like you don't know what you're talking about when speaking about pulse. Yeh, it was powerful, really powerful. But it's no reason to make it unusable in the next game. Btw, beam length is always the same. It's the speed of its growth, and damage that were affected by tickrate.

So, Flack was overpowered, pulse was overpowered.. What about sniper rifle then? Highest damage per second in game, as far as I remember. Minigun is way too powerful too, and RL is not all that bad at medium to close range, shock is powerful and versatile and bio is almost pure cheat! It can kill anything in 1 hit, you know?

Don't you think that pattern is pretty obvious here? Almost every weapon is powerful in its own way and has its uses. High damage output leads to intense gameplay with focus on map control and mindagames.

Yeh, but it is limited severely by double jumps, double dodges and stuff like that. When player is able to move so fast, small map won't be fast-paced. It will be cramped. And if the map is big... well... you got lice-like players running around the kitchen once again.

PWN3D

Selentic

Out of your mind.
Jun 9, 2008
UT99 Doesnt work right on this here computer of mine
smithicide.gif

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Don't tell me you call shock-shock-shock-sniper combo "thinking". With this kind of "balanced weapon damage" weapons just lost their unique feel.
This can also be used against UT99 in the fact that every weapon is overpowered so you could kill with anything making every weapon have no unique feel.

Obviously this is untrue for both games but hey, your point.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
2k4 link has lockdown.
I'm not talking about this "a bit of auto-aim" feature. Lockdown is the ability to hinder enemy movement when you hit them with mini/pulse.
This can also be used against UT99 in the fact that every weapon is overpowered so you could kill with anything making every weapon have no unique feel.
You have to use weapons differently to score a kill. Ambush with bio, score a quick hit with sniper to hide behind the wall next moment so that the enemy doesn't know where it came from, cover your escape spamming ripper blades at headshot height, messing enemy trickjump by hitting him with pulse/mini... all those tactics are gone in UT2k4.
Yeh, weapons are not all the same, but the feel less unique now.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I'm not talking about this "a bit of auto-aim" feature. Lockdown is the ability to hinder enemy movement when you hit them with mini/pulse.
What? There is no auto-aim with 2k4 link. The alt fire locks down people making it harder for them to move in 2k4.

You have to use weapons differently to score a kill. Ambush with bio, score a quick hit with sniper to hide behind the wall next moment so that the enemy doesn't know where it came from, cover your escape spamming ripper blades at headshot height, messing enemy trickjump by hitting him with pulse/mini... all those tactics are gone in UT2k4.
Untrue, you can do all those in 2k4. Be careful, your starting to inject opinion into your posts, and like you said before, "Opinion based argument is flawed by default."

Last edited:

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
imo its all about ''getting used to the game''
iam used to ut99, imo it has the gameplay i like, ive played ut2k4 a few times and it just feels weird. basicly.. u can do the ''predict-shots'' in ut2k4 but they never will be the same as the predict shots in ut99 cause the movement is waaay different.

and idd, the colors and details in the textures in ut2k4 are lookin not so bad
but imo they shouldnt be needed, i mean who cares if there is color on the walls or not ? i know who cares..... the ppl who care are boys and girls that are about 15yrs old.. they buy games because they like the appearance. and thats why ppl leave ut99 cause they like the ''new and better games''

all you ppl that are discussing this in this thread know UT like nobody else
we care about gameplay we care about movement in the game.

if you explain that against a 15yr old boy he sais: ut99 graphics sucks and ut2k4 looks beautifull.
so in fact he sais: i play ut2k4 not because ut99 sucks, but its better because the gfx are cool ;)

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It isn't a nonsense, that message has a hidden point you obviously can't see.
Don't take it word by a word, but rather it includes a hidden message in itself.

No, there are many changes in the gameplay, interface and all and all is worse than ut2003. You even said it on the other thread when I mentioned something and now you don't see it suddenly.

Goddamnit it is not just the speed and it's not about rig, I have a rig that can handle later games better this just is badly optimised and bots do lag like f*ck.
And also, the game demos, I would say maybe ut2004 dem was better than ut2003 demo, but the agme is different itself and is better at least online and even with bots it's not taht bad and I don't need to activate tons of mutators to make it playable.

The grapchis are not worth it, I mean wtf the grapchis in ut2k4 suck and these new skaarjs, pfft, actually the cocenpt art stuff fr this game was much better but it never got realized and what is there is even some damn ripoff of u2 skaarj (I think guardian or hows he called), but dumbed down to the extreme.
The good grapchics got basically only the ported ut2003 maps (and some beta ones) and some really outstanding new stuff but the rest is just meh.

I was never good in finding secret messages o_O
Like I've said, there are some small changes I saw. Just the link projectile, bot roster and other minor thingies.
Maybe you're calling 'lag' what I don't call. Never seen anything lagging except in online games with huge ping.
I really don't see a point in your sentence that graphics are bad. I mean, everything is beautiful there, just look at Face3... All those meshes, particles, rooms not being cubes etc, I mean, the graphics are top notch, not like it was in UT99. Or, at least it is when all setting are set to the highest level available (the announcer keeps shouting "HOLY ****!" each time I enter the settings :D ).
Use mods to get the usual U2 Skaarj model. I'm now trying to port that one from a total conversion to the usual game.
You can download really great maps, just look at http://geeks.beyondunreal.com/ and map packs such as UCMP and CBP.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
But UT S3TC textures are still better than UT2k4 ones :)

Anyway, it's like this: people who played UT2k4 before anything think that UT2k4 is the coming of Christ; same with UT1.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania

o.0
... I'm shocked.

I'm not saying that brick feels like me, I mean that I feel as heavy and immobile as bricks are.

In UT2004, you need more battle awareness, a lot more brain and tactics to succeed.

Well, not everyone use shocks and snipers. Personally, I never use them as I can't get to aim at that shock core :\ And snipers are slow, still better as you then know where is that sniper, it can't hide in the shadows. Lockdown was stupid and not intended to be. I mean, try playing SpaceNoxx online, you'll simply get shot to space the second you spawn.

With saying "big" I mean the actual editor scale. Try copying a map from UT to UT2004 or at least UT2003 and you'll see that you are a lot bigger than you were in UT1.

For me, looks are important. For the "feel", you need to be ready to survive in any situations, you can't usually choose the maps in a server you know. And for me all Unreals feel good. I mean, you just need to get used to it.

UT1 had pretty impressive maps? What, 80% of the out-of-the-box game is this strange industrial style, where almost all the maps look the same. And I always prefer saturation, when I make maps I always put lights with huge saturation settings to add to the theme.

Sure, The Link can be more powerful, but they made it so it would be less of a weapon and more of a tool. It's primary function is to heal vehicles and nodes, and as in UT2003 - to link with teammates to get the same power as you have with the Pulse. Of course, the Pulse was my favourite weapon in UT1, but that's because it could rip people in seconds. And unfortunately all kills look the same, no ragdoll physics, and enemies don't turn into skeletons when they are affected with radiation.

The sniper rifle? Well, I think it's too fast. I remember that it was my favourite weapon when playing on lower difficulty weapons as it's very easy to headshot. Actually, I've noticed a strange phenomenon there, if you zoom in, chances that you will headshot someone are less than when you are not zoomed in. Strange. In UT2004 you must be lucky or skilled to get that nice announcement of "Headshot!". Minigun? It's more powerful than the minigun in U1, but it's not mainly too powerful. Just that the lockdown there usually means overpoweredness, and of course, the server's tickrate changes the minigun's firespeed. Shock is the same as in UT2004, you know, everyone keeps doing combos. Same with the biorifle, they're both very powerful, just that the UT2004 one can be used as a medium range weapon too. But I don't like how the projectiles in UT2004 look, too watery, and somehow heavier than water.

Well, I'm not the one that like just fragging. Really. For me, the maps shouldn't be made just for a good frag fest. The visuals are very important, when walking in BR-Serenity you shouldn't just look for the enemies, but you should look at the skybox, the hills, the fire emitters and everything else that makes the map realistic, non-cubic, and still has places that are harder to reach, so you could make full use of double jumps, dodge jumps, shield jumps and walldodges. I'm quite with Hyper.nl here, a game shouldn't be just the frags, it should be more of the engine.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
imo its all about ''getting used to the game''
iam used to ut99, imo it has the gameplay i like, ive played ut2k4 a few times and it just feels weird. basicly.. u can do the ''predict-shots'' in ut2k4 but they never will be the same as the predict shots in ut99 cause the movement is waaay different.

and idd, the colors and details in the textures in ut2k4 are lookin not so bad
but imo they shouldnt be needed, i mean who cares if there is color on the walls or not ? i know who cares..... the ppl who care are boys and girls that are about 15yrs old.. they buy games because they like the appearance. and thats why ppl leave ut99 cause they like the ''new and better games''

all you ppl that are discussing this in this thread know UT like nobody else
we care about gameplay we care about movement in the game.

if you explain that against a 15yr old boy he sais: ut99 graphics sucks and ut2k4 looks beautifull.
so in fact he sais: i play ut2k4 not because ut99 sucks, but its better because the gfx are cool ;)

Yeap, like I always say, all Unreals are cool. Try playing Unreal II and you'll be shouting that the movement is absolutely stupid there, but once you're through to Hell you'll get used to it and feel good enough.

Actually, I do care about the graphics as there is nothing more to care about. I've played Doom I and Doom II, they're both great and have a very nice story, even though the graphics aren't top notch. It has so many secrets that I will probably never find all of them out. Unreal I is the same story, the graphics aren't the best but good story compensates for that. Unreal II is cool too, but the story is just different small stories there. While UTs have no stories whatsoever, so there's nothing else to care of other than graphics. Like I've said, I'm not a frag guy, that's why I basically hate InstaGib matches, and like messing around in the editor. Conversions are great things, it also feels good when you enhance the bot paths to perfection so they can move freely and use all sorts of stuff they find. That includes a lot of tricks that the usual online fragger doesn't even know of. And in fact they usually don't care about bots while I spend the most time killing them or spectating online matches as my internet speed is very slow. Most of the servers have 100+ ping...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
But UT S3TC textures are still better than UT2k4 ones :)

Anyway, it's like this: people who played UT2k4 before anything think that UT2k4 is the coming of Christ; same with UT1.

Partially agreed and agreed :) UT S3TCs are better until DieHard starts his UT2004 retexturing project ;)

And yea, probably, in fact the first game I have ever played from the shooter category is UT2004.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I was never good in finding secret messages o_O
Like I've said, there are some small changes I saw. Just the link projectile, bot roster and other minor thingies.
Maybe you're calling 'lag' what I don't call. Never seen anything lagging except in online games with huge ping.
I really don't see a point in your sentence that graphics are bad. I mean, everything is beautiful there, just look at Face3... All those meshes, particles, rooms not being cubes etc, I mean, the graphics are top notch, not like it was in UT99. Or, at least it is when all setting are set to the highest level available (the announcer keeps shouting "HOLY ****!" each time I enter the settings :D ).
Use mods to get the usual U2 Skaarj model. I'm now trying to port that one from a total conversion to the usual game.
You can download really great maps, just look at http://geeks.beyondunreal.com/ and map packs such as UCMP and CBP.

BUT FACE3
IS UT2003 MAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S NOT A GOOD EXAMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok sorry. But really, did you see what I said? I don't count in ut2004 the things that were already in ut2003 and wtf they did to Curse, why they removed curse3 and added a more bland curse4?
I mean I don't like how the ut2003 ended even, but ut2004 is a lot worse then. At ut2003 beta there was a cool mutator with ablity of linkgun medic where you could heal your teammates witzh linkgun altfire too and it was usable in sigleplayer too.
I prefer ut2003 linmkgun over ut2004 one, the ut204 one is overpowered and looks meh and makes skeletons from ppl, :p.

No, sorry greatemerald, but this is just...
Look I didn't play UT until 2005 due to many reasons and because someone stole my disc before. I played before only demo on my PC and didnt even play final in anyone's home, then I played ut2003 demo, ut2004 demo and then played ut2004 final at friend, i thought it was a good game back then, but I thought some things were just silly. And then I played original Ut and then looked over my memoried of ut2004 and thought, hmm this game seems to be rally better than ut2kx and then this year i got full ut2004 and it's even worse than I thought. So really this doesn't count. You are just one of these consumer guys who love ut2k4, fine be it. But maybe eventually you'll grow our of it.