1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

advice on CD-R / RW

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tarquin, Feb 24, 2002.

1. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Here's a hap-hap-happy thread!

I'm going to get a CD writing doodad. Dabs.com has loads of the things at a range of prices:
    40r 16w 12rw at £63.44, Dabs' own brand
    40r 32w 12rw at £97.52, Mitsumi
    40r16w10rw at £119.85, Toshiba

is it worth spending extra cash on a brand name, & if so which?

2. LP

LP *wants to be your friend*

i'd say 40r16w10rw at £119.85, Toshiba

3. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

unless you want your 74 min CDRs written within 30 seconds i'd advise a 16 speed write. that 32 speed write ive never heard of . fastest ive seen is 24X iand that wrote a CD within a minute.

4. CRoNiXX

CRoNiXX Banned

40x plextor wonz joooo all!!

5. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

I'd go with the mitsumi, but you could check and see if they have a cheaper one from them. I have an old 4x-2x-16x from them and I've never had any trouble out of it (well, the origional one was DOA... but the replacemetn works great). It has never EVER burnt a coaster... it's just kind of slow because it's so old.

6. LP

LP *wants to be your friend*

and the prices for 32x CD-R's and CD-RW's would be wayy too high, and its unlikely that u would be able to use the 32 speed most of the time.

my 50x CD-Rom wouldnt even take a CD off at that speed

7. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

it would cope if you had the drives on different IDE channels :)

8. Lyndsay #2337

Lyndsay #2337 Squeaky Penguin

I have an LG (Goldstar) CED8080B CDRW 8x4x32, and some of my friends have other LG models.
    We've had them for over a year, with no complaints.

9. purice

purice coon dog

i've had good luck with plextor and sony.

10. Yellow5

Yellow5 Guest

I just purchased a TDK 32/10/40 veloCD ReWriter and am *very* pleased with it.

Picked mine up for $179 with a $30 mail in rebate, you can probably find it cheaper tho.

11. Waffnuffly

Waffnuffly >:E

Whatever you do when you get one, for making Data CDs, DO NOT USE EASY CD CREATOR!!!!!!!!!!! It totally screws your files and makes them al READ ONLY, and it's so damn hard to get them off of the CD again when they're Read Only (don't know why, Win98 is just dumb that way).

Be sure you have Direct CD. OMG I just love DCD.... once you've formatted a disc (it takes 20 - 40 minutes to format a CD, but is well worth it), you can directly drag files to the drive or right click and click "Send To Drive (X)" and it will be on the CD, instantly! You don't have to wait for 15 minutes for it to actually "record" the files onto the CD or anything, they're already there and I think the CD can even be used on computers without CD-RW drives. Just click and drag utility really, but it rocks:D

12. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Thanks guys :D
    As long as there aren't horror stories of cheaper brands b0rking things up... :)

It's a pity the PC doesn't have Firewire, otherwise I could get an external one & use it with the mac too.

13. Lyndsay #2337

Lyndsay #2337 Squeaky Penguin

Speaking of software...
    For burning all the files at once, try nero burning rom http://www.ahead.de/

14. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

I have a Plextor 16/10/40, and aside from a few toasters and a couple of hiccups, its pretty good. I'm looking for a new and faster oen.

15. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

I think most would agree that Plextor makes the best quality CD writers. They support all the advanced features you'll need and are basically fully supported(and recommended) by all CD writing software.

16. D66

D66 Grey Pilgrim

P...L...E..X...T...O...R

Clone CD

Nero

EZ CD5 (Includes Direct CD and 30min Format is ridiculously High)

Win on CD

With These tools You will be UNSTOPABLE!!!

I own 2 Plextors One 12x10x24 and one 24x10x40..... OMFG They are gold!!!! Any Coasters I get are a result of Stupid user errors

17. Sparky

Sparky Retired Administrator

I've read that the 32x cause's major problems... although nothing a driver update won't fix. I'm happy with my 24x Creative... haven't had the pleasure of it spitting out, a coaster yet.

18. FireSlash

FireSlash Whats a FireSlash?

meh.

i bought a iomega 16x10x40, and next week i see some generic brand dirt cheap (25 USD after rebates) so i pick it up for another machine.

exact same burner.

19. Assymilator

Assymilator No idea what to put here.

Plextor PlexWriter

got rave reviews and is one of the fastest CD-R/RW drives out right now.