1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

addon idea - breakout

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by tarquin, Jun 22, 2004.

1. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Idea for a JB addon -- tell me if you think it's any good.

When you activate a release switch, it releases ALL jails, all teams.
    so you gotta decide -- is it really worth releasing your teammates & losing the enemy you already got rounded up?

2. [40oz]-Rippen

[40oz]-Rippen New Member

That type of scenario already happens for me without a release all addon. For instance, I am the last free player on my team. Do I stay and guard my jail with hopes of fragging the remainder of the enemy? Or do I leave and go free my team while knowing that the enemy will free theirs while I make the attempt. :hmm:

3. SON|C

SON|C New Member

ummmmmmmmm. tbh... its not that good, they teamwork wouldn't work at all and there'd also be no point in pressing the release button as the objective of the game would be non-existant

4. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

Any extra functionality is better. It doesn't necessarily have to be used though. ;)

However, I think it could make an interesting change though, maybe run it occasionallly on the Mothership too. :)

5. Half_Lunatic

Half_Lunatic Other Half Not There

I could see so many new players getting confused and constantly releasing everyone. An Addon I won't be looking forward too.

6. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

I would doubt that any servers would run it initially, let alone permanently. By default, it would be disabled, and in singleplayer it would be up to the client to enable it and play it, and if it was ever played online, I'm sure that there would be some kind of HUD indicator... maybe merge the two jail circles at the top into one.

Its just extra functionality, not a permanent change to the way jailbreak is played ;)

7. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Well, it's possible to do that with standard JB, so why not make a map or two with this idea? (instead of an addon, just have a couple of maps work this way). Damn, I am getting ideas now, and I already have a gajillion maps in progress, and no time to work on any of them already. But I shotgun doing a morbias-style map, with a release in the centre, k? ;)

8. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

I've added this addon to the JDN: Projects page. I think it should go ahead anyway.

9. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

Bump

I hope that this will be implemented.

10. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

I think the hardest thing in this will be the bot support.

The HUD should also perhaps be altered a little to show what is going on -- though I am not sure what should be done, and my previous attempt at altering the JB HUD did not go well.

11. Trueblood

Trueblood Silly Brit

another reason to put both teams in the same jail :)

12. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

This would be an add-on, so that means all maps will work with it and there won't be any specific maps for it.

But it's a fun idea to try maps with a single jail anyway :)
    You just have to solve the problem of how to let out only one team at a time. (there's a thread on it)

13. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

Hrmmm
    ... or so that we dont get mixed up between red and blue, why not leave the two circles as they are but cut off the inner half, and connect the tops and bottoms of the two circles together. The vs will be fine where it is (as long as its on top) since the player icons wont cover it. And make the background of this "oval" black, like the circles are, but keep the Jailbreak cuffs where they are.

This could be solved by a relatively simple algorithm, based on the total number of players in jail by comparison to the number of bots per team.

If there are more blue players in jail than there are red, then the majority of the red team (at least 75% or so) would defend. Similarly, because there are more blues in jail, the remaining blue players have more to gain by freeing everyone, so the majority of the blue players would attack.

If there is an equal number of players in jail, or none, then bots play according to the "normal" tactics display.

The tactics display could be used here too in a similar way to that of normal Jailbreak.

Edit: I always forget attachments. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  14. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Interesting Idea for a Jailbreak Addon. Would be fun to try, even though playing with bots could get very irritating if You could not stop them from releasing you and vice versa. Something similar to the bot aggresion levels would be ideal. Look forwed to trying it

I also have my own idea for a jailbreak Addon: A get out of jail free card. I mentioned it whilst on the kokrull jailbreak server and everyone thought it would be a good laugh. Here's how it would work: The get out of jail free card would spawn in a random place in the map were it is picked up. when someone picks it up, when they are next in jail they can choose whether to use it or not to get out of jail. they are then teleported back to there base. Bot support for deciding wyhether to use it could work from the bot aggresion level. ie more aggressive use it straight away etc. I would try and make it myself, but I don't know how to do it and anyway I'm trying to work on a few maps at the moment. Including a jailbreak map.
    Let me know what you think and whether it could work.

15. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

The GetOutOfJailFree card sounds like an interesting idea. Make a new thread for it for discussion so as not to mix up the addons.

Like I said about bots and breakout... its simply a modification to how they decide whether to attack or defend. I think Mych said there was some sort of algorithm that determined that, although I'm no coder. ;)

16. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Will Do

17. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

JDN is down at the moment, but I think it's CanRelease in the Jailbreak Game Rules class.

18. Mychaeel

Mychaeel New Member

It's up again. It seems that a power outage hit my computer while I wasn't here for a couple of days.

Yes, but it doesn't affect bot play; CanRelease is called only when somebody actually attempts to release their team.

19. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Oops!
    In that case, all I can think of is disabling the GameObjective so bots aren't interested in it. But doing *that* causes the visual effect.

20. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Can't you just do it off bot aggresiveness?