1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Action Video Games Improve Vision

Discussion in 'Site Discussion / Suggestions' started by indy900, Mar 29, 2009.

1. indy900

indy900 [mXc]indy

2. Kazimira

Kazimira Necris Fan

Now I have proof!

3. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

What about the possibility that looking at a screen would move your center of perception and deform it?

In other terms, when you would take a walk in the park you wouldn't look at it the same way you did when you were a kid.

4. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

5. Kazimira

Kazimira Necris Fan

Only happens if you never focus on anything at other distances. I'm not able to focus at all so it dosent affect me. I however dont move my eye around as much if i'm not playing a game so my squint just got bad enough to be seen by an optition that didnt know me. Also it's more the use of the eyes I think they are talking about.

6. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

I'm having trouble believing that. Unless this kid was REALLY illiterate.

7. Kazimira

Kazimira Necris Fan

I think thats the target for those studies. And I'll agree to that I've seen people improveing thair communication skills after a wile on WoW but there's only so far it can go because of text speak and such.

8. Kyllian

I know my typing skill was utter crap before I got into PC gaming
    Couldn't even type a single sentence without looking down at the keyboard, now I can type like crazy

9. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

Well, around here everyone speaks french. If you visit our high Schools, the students playing video games (in english) got around +20 pts at the end of the year. I may be an exception thought, I didn't get better :lol:.

So, Video Games are also great to learn languages... :D .

10. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

When I was a kid, I had real bad eyesight in one of my eyes, and due to slight lens deformation and loose/tight muscles in that eye making it wall-eyed, it'll never be 100% perfect unless I have surgeries, as it's astigmatic. Even then, I might get double vision in that eye due to being used to how things "look" out of it for nearly the last 24 years. To top things off, my coordination was real horrible - especially my eye-hand coordination.

So the doctor basically told my mom to let me play videogames.

My one eye is still screwy (but better) but my other eye is eagle-sharp - something like 20/10 vision (That is, I can see sharpness at 20 feet that most people need to be 10 feet away to see.) And my reaction time's around 2/10ths of a second, so it clearly did something. :p

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  11. Kazimira

Kazimira Necris Fan

DP it seems the pair of us are proof vidiogames help eyesight.

I grew up seeing people with simeler eye conditions to mine(only one other person in britan has the conbination I have) and they bearly used the sight they had.

It might be alot to do with the use of our eyes as well.

12. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

damn so i have been eating carrots for nothing :(

13. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

I'm sorry dudes, but I did play A LOT [especially fast games like Quake 3] and I wear glasses. My eyes are only getting worst years after years :lol:.

14. Kazimira

Kazimira Necris Fan

It isnt a hundred percent effective. I know two people who were vidiogames freaks. One even lent me quake and that was my first time playing a quake game. Both have no sight what so ever now. It cant help everyones eye conditions.

15. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

More than a decade of playing fps, and some years too much, and my eyesight hasn't diminshed yet. It's perfect. Same for my hearing. (for a person of my age. I can't hear those high frequency tones anymore, but why I should I let that bother me :p..)

16. Kyllian

My prescription hasn't changed much in the last 10 years when I got into PC gaming
    I barely have a foot of clear sight without my glasses, but they've been like that most of my life

17. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

I agree. Specially after seeing what and how most ADULTS say/type in those types of games.

Sorry but reading WTT SOJ 4 COB and things like "haha ure totally gh3y nub" arent exactly reading primers by any means.

Plus anything they probably do gleen from the game is just as quickly taken away by the ever popular cell-phone shorthand, or as I like to call it:

Electrobonics.