accessing GUI menus within a game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Delphi

Aug 30, 2004
Does anyone know a way of getting to a GUI menu class during a game. I have a weapon that fires up a textbox and I'd like to set up a trigger that can change the text in the textbox.

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
It might be easier to store the text in a location accessible to the menu (such as the PlayerController), and have the trigger change the text there (also accessible from triggers and weapons). But perhaps this is beyond the scope of your mod/mutator. You can store it in the weapon, and have the weapon send the text to the menu (check out the HandleParameters function for the menu). Or get the text from the weapon (through the PlayerController.Pawn.Weapon), and have the trigger change the text in the weapon (Pawn.Weapon). Depends on how deep you like your references, and how clever you are.

Delphi

Aug 30, 2004
Well I procrastinated for a couple of weeks but I've just sat down and got it working in about half an hour. For those that may come after, I basically put a string variable in the PlayerController. The trigger updated the string and the menu reads the variable each time it opens. Ta Daa.

I think that sort of success deserves a round of assult!

Delphi

Aug 30, 2004
nope, not a mutator. I've already had to make a custom PlayerController to implement some other changes.

Ahh a mutator, my kindom for needed to script just a mutator... ;)