Academic advice

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
When I first went to college I really had no idea what I was going to do for a career. Eventually, I got interested in the Administration of Justice program (known simply as Criminal Justice at most universities) and began training to be a peace officer. About a year and a half into the program, I recieved the opportunity to attend an evidence technology(forensic science) class, and I was hooked. I've since changed majors to double-major in Administration of Justice and Forensic Science. Both programs result in two-year degrees.

This semester, I got another big break in the evidence technology field, having been cleared to attend a criminalistics course with prerequisites waived. My instructors are now recommending that I not only finish the two year program in field evidence technology, but continue beyond that and get a four-year degree in one of the sciences. This would qualify me to work not only as a field evidence tech(those guys you see collecting evidence in crime scenes and on TV shows like Crime Scene Investigators) but also as a criminalist, examining and testing criminal evidence inthe lab, as well as giving expert testimony in court.

I'd planned on getting a bachelor's degree anyway, but in Criminal Justice, where the bulk of the two year program was also a significant portion of the four year program. Now here's the deal: If I choose to go the science route, I basically have to start all over again, leaving only a few GE's transferable to the four-year degree. I'd be spending another three years(at least) in school. But the upside is that after all the work was done, I'd be able to work with any law enforcement agency with a crime lab.

I'd just like to know, what your opinions would be in this situation. What would one of you do if you had the choice? Would it be worth going under the knife for three more years? I believe so, but I can't help feeling that I wasted a year's worth of work. :hmm: Lemme know what y'all think, anything would be encouraging.

]LoL[Wolfram

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Get as much education as you can now. It will serve you better later on, no matter your career choice, and it's ever so much easier to get through now than later.

Plus, you get that much more time to enjoy the company of college women, something that will never be replaced in the "real world".

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
Three years are nothing, especially if the goal is something you feel strong about. Regardless of your decision, you will waste nothing if you take your education and experiences as far as you want to take them.

(I'd go for it! :D)

Good luck!

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Don't worry about the "lost" years if your aim is the longer route. If you have credits that are transferable, then you're lucky - you can spend the time doing other things (eg. extra work on other modules, or even relaxing).

As someone who got a degree and has decided to stay another three years to get a PhD, I can say that the extra years put in now could fast track my career in whatever field I chose in the end.

Also, as SC pointed out, you'll still be at Uni...enjoy :D

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
Originally posted by SimplyCosmic
Get as much education as you can now. It will serve you better later on, no matter your career choice, and it's ever so much easier to get through now than later.
SC is 100% right here, get all the education you can while you're still in your "college years" ... to go back and get more education later once you've been working and may have more commitments on your finances and time will be a LOT harder!

Allison

I need more cowbell!
Sep 8, 2000
Visit site
Let's pretend that you have decided to not persue the bachelors degree. Now, imagine yourself three years from now................

Do you wish you had? Are you kicking yourself in the butt because instead of starting the career of your dreams, three years later, you are contemplating going back to school for another 2 years so you can?

Trust me on this. Those three years are going to pass by no matter what you do. The only question is, what will you have for yourself at the end of those three years?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
More education = more $$ + more chances later :)
So go for it. That job sound cool

Btw, check your pm

T

Terminal {DTH}

think long run

the more training/education you have to more opens up to you once you get out leaving you with MANY more options to take when you are done. and That my freind is not something to under emphisise, espcially for later in life.

DO it! :) Not doing so could very well end up being a major regret in life yould feel later. 3 years isnt nothing, it only sounds like a long time looking ahead at it, dont do that. that it one step at a time.
starting over somewhat IS a scarifice but one more then worth it, and with what youve already taken it gives you a serious leg up on what you will be taking making so much the easier.

becides that you Can put those classes on your resume that dont count tword the degree that youve already taken. they (employers) like that. ;)

mileena

bOingee
May 1, 2000
agreed with all of the above. if you have the opportunity to go to school now.. DO IT! it can only mean bigger and better things for you later on.

oh, and stop playing that silly EQ game. *hands wolfie a shock rifle*

Wolf Blackstar

Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Thanks all, I was pretty sure this would be the best path, but it really means a lot to me to hear what's been said. :)

And yeah, as SC said.......college women are a good thing......forensic technology classes are easily 80% female. :D

]LoL[Wolfram

Wolf Blackstar

Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
I've already worked with my share of cadavers.....just finished a morgue processing lab last week, in fact.

The chicks in these classes are alive and very well. :D

]LoL[Wolfram