A simple observation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

An1mus

Mar 15, 2006
Porto, Portugal
BarneyGumball said:
Gameplay is important but would you play a game now days that had the UT1 engine?

I think not...
I would, and i play. I still play UT99 and i love it ='). Of course it doesnt have those great UT2k4 graphics, but it's gameplay makes up for it. If only they did UT2k7 a similiar to UT99 in terms of gameplay (or even better)... and it would be a bomb like UT99 was in its time.:rolleyes:

SealClubber

Not biased
Oct 30, 2002
Planet Earth
JaFO said:
The problem isn't just that 'recent' games are like supermodels.
It's also that the first game (whether it be Quake, Doom, Unreal, Halo, etc) was your 'one true love' ... there's a really really small chance a new game can ever re-capture that feeling again.

By comparing it with that first game (and also by being blind to its flaws) it is next to impossible for anyone to ever like the new one.

I'd even say that what you are seeing in those new games aren't (new) flaws in those games. In reality they're the flaws that were present in the old one as well. The new games may have crappier maps, but they've got better weapon-balance for example ...

And as for mods/communities. Part of the problem is that everyone expects mods to deliver quality, while no one wants to take on the (increasing) workload required.

And to finish it off : there simply are more games to play compared to the "good ol' days". So mods have to compete not just with each other, but also with real (not so buggy and certainly more complete) commercial games while there amount of spare time hasn't increased (in fact it probably has decreased as the average gamer got older ... ).

Makes sense to me right here, awesome post!

Trynant said:
It is indeed a simple observation that graphics won't last and that gameplay is what will matter in the end. It's such a simple observation that thousands of other people started thousands of other threads on a thousand different games relating to the exact same point. There is still open room for debate, however, in this dead and beaten horse.

This is so ironic that you mention the issue being a dead and beaten horse! Because ya know what else is a dead and beaten horse... The rest of your reply saying that UT2007 will suceed because of those points that people made when waiting on UT2003/4 also...

Trynant said:
Will UT2007 have that ever-so-needed gameplay? I think it will. I enjoyed UT2003 for all its quirks and like UT2004 as much as the original (that's right, I said it). I treasure Unreal Tournament in all it's shock combo flavors.

Reasons why I think it will work?

1: Epic Games is making it. Their track record speaks for them.

2: We've seen what it looks like. I saw some good signs showing it'll be better than UT2003 at least!

3: It's not released yet. Why do I think that's a good sign. It means Epic isn't rushing things. Jeff Morris stated that they were willing to call the game Unreal Tournament 2008 if they had to.

4: There hasn't been any Nazis so far.

5: Mark Rein isn't directly involved with the game. No two weeks for you!

6: If the game doesn't play as great as our high standards will allow, we've still got a very capable engine with a strong mod community (we'd all be fooling ourselves if we think there aren't people that'll make maps/mods/skins/tacos for this game).

7: We aren't the ones developing the game. That's gotta be a plus! [/jk]

IMO, if you want to know whether or not this game will be more of a game than graphics, it'll take more than simple observations.

The last part is correct thou, the only way to really see if the game is for you is to download the demo and see for yourself. :)

chillypacman

Dec 19, 2005
Gameplay is important but would you play a game now days that had the UT1 engine?

I think not...

Graphics and Gameplay are both important but i don't want super gameplay with me being able to set it too 1millionx1million resolution and still be able to play fine...
lets say they both add up, its best to have both eh

In either case I have been giving thought to going and getting myself the original ut and give that a few runs through, I think I mentioned before the map designs of that game were awesome hence the gameplay rocked (if only in part). Theres just no going past classics...

An1mus

Mar 15, 2006
Porto, Portugal
yeah. It would be great to have maps like CTF-Gauntlet,Sprinta,BrokenLimits,EternalCaves, etc back in ut2k7.

I dont know if they even exist on UT2k4

Monster Kill

_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
I don't think you've ever played UT2003....(or 2k4 for that matter)

Are you saying that UT2003/04 sucked? 'cuz they waz da bombzorz. Seriously though, they're good games. UT99 was the progenitor to a whole series of games that with each successive installment, improved and added new elements of gameplay. UT99 started off the whole thing but it had crazy powerful and unbalanced weapons (+ the whole headshot w/ sniper thing was a little bit too easy to do). UT2003 balanced the gameplay a bit by toning down weapons like the flak cannon and the rocket launcher. UT2004 added vehicles and onslaught. I mean c'mon, you can't have played Ut2004 and not loved onslaught. THis is why I disagree w/ your observation though. Sometimes it's true but in the case of the Unreal Series, each one gets better and better so I can't wait for UT2007.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
If you think ut2k4's gameplay and other FPS's gameplay aren't as pretty as RTS, then you need to get into the competitive scene, where strats, tactics and mental techniques are deep.

Last edited:

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
briach said:
If you think ut2k4's gameplay and other FPS's gameplay isn't as pretty as RTS, then you need to get into the competitive scene, where strats, tactics and mental techniques are deep.

UT2K4 gameplay not as good as RTS? Bhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha :lol:

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that...