A silenced sniper rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
, 1) What does the sight picture look like, in detail.
2) How do you operate the computerized sights, in detail, step-by-step, all the procedures

Isn't the scope (if that's what you can call it) a camera that has a target acquisition system as well as night vision and other goodies. Correct me if i"m wrong. I only now what I've been able to research online and we all know that's not exactly the safest place to get info. Also I heard the detachable assualt rifle sucks ass cuz no arm stock.

shadowkil

Oct 19, 2000
Camp Lejeune, NC, USA
Originally posted by Scythe

I believe the speed of sound is about 760MPH
OicW is a bad execution of a good Idea.

speed of sound varies with temperature and air pressure. standard speed of sound i think is 1118 fps, mach 1 is defined i think as like 1086 or something (speed of sound at sea level at water's freezing point)

perrin98

Aug 17, 2000
Yeah, welcome to the community Ez. I hope you enjoy this game and its community as much as the rest of us :)

LordPerrin

That's not too difficult:

An acceleration can be calculated by the following formula:

s=s0+v0*t+0.5*a*t^2

s=distance travelled after acceleration
s0=initial distance
v0=initial velocity
a=acceleration
t=time

Since we are calculating bullet drop, s0 and v0 are both equal to zero. We are only interested in the vertical motion, so acceleration is provided by gravity, approx. 9.8 m/s^2. We'll also ignore air resistance (since the bullet's cross-area is relatively small, the velocities are small, and I don't have any data for a typical bullet).

So we need to calculate s=0.5*9.8[m/s^2]*t[s^2]
As you can see the seconds cancel out, leaving us with meters.

For 0.6s: bullet drop is approx. 1.8m
For 0.2s: bullet drop is approx. 0.20m

Obviously this gets worse as the distance increases.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
BTW IIRC the VSS IS called a "silenced" sniper rifle, instead of supressed.
Also the OC-14 (MVD version in 9x39) only has a 20 round mag, the army version (in 7,62x39) uses the standard 30 round mags.

BrownyMan

Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?
Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
hmmmm

there are plenty of gun's Infiltration "needs" for example, a scount sniper rifle would be nice something small and light, like a Steyr Scout
123.jpg

or a H&K33 SG/1
33sg1rt.jpg

as would a silenced sniper rifle such as an H&K SL9SD
sl9sd.jpg

but right now there are more important weapons to get too

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
Any idea of the effect of aerodynamics on a bullet's flightpath?

Just something I was wondering about .....

Oh and as I've said before the MSG-90 has a flash suppressor and a sound suppressor option so that should solve these issues when it substitutes the PSG-1.

In the mean time we can all have fun using the FA MAS with all attachments instead.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by randomas
Any idea of the effect of aerodynamics on a bullet's flightpath?

Just something I was wondering about .....

Yes thank you, I have several ideas about how a bullets aerodynamics effects its flight path, why?

POWER[NSK]

"God here... the POWER is on it's way!"
Oct 16, 2001
Vegas Baby!
Visit site
Could we have the suppressor for the SIG too?

That way I don't have to shoot that *ugly* lookin French POS FAMAS rifle if I want to have an ACOG/Suppressor combo :)

I really want an M4 with a suppressor and a nice EO sight. And a suppressor on the upcoming G36C would be sweet as well.

As of right now, the furthest shot in INF is what, 200m? Time of flight is negligible at that range. As is projectile drop and drift.

If you want to experience the difficulties of sniping with a suppressed rifle, try Delta Force (Farce) 3. It has a suppressed PSG-1 with a 4X (!!!!!!) sight. When using it at ranges past about 300M or so, range estimation and lead get really critical. The velocity and trajectory are modeled (how correctly is anyones guess) and the projectile behavior is quite different (read: worse) than that of the other two sniper rifles in the game (a Barret and a Remingtom 700). Sniping with the Barret in DF3 is -extremely- easy when compared to using the PSG-1 at extended range, *BUT* getting a headshot on someone while they are running, at a range of 400M+ is -very- satisfying. Furthermore, 90% of the time I can flank the enemies base and crawl up *very* close to the base (less than 200M usually, sometimes as close as 50-60M) and snipe them all day (night) long, simply because they can't get a fix on my position.

It's hilarious to watch them spawn, put a round in their foot, and then see them run around looking for me frantically trying to find the "TK" that just legged them. Hahahahha! And then when I put them out of my misery, to hear them cry "cheater!!!"... Ahh, the joys of sniping! :D

EzeKeiL

Marksmen
Feb 26, 2002
with ur mom
Visit site
well i was just thinking, do u guys think if, say, someone is sniping in inf at about 100m, do u think there should be a slight dellay in when u shoot the bullet and when it actually hits the target?

now im not talkin about a huge delay or anything but like a few milisecond delay. this would make sniping more difficult plus it would make it more reallistic in a way. now i don't know if there WOULD be a delay, but if a sniper bullet is moving say 1000fps and u where sniping over a 100m distance, wouldn't u think there would be a delay? just alittle one. b/c now there is no delay no matter what the distance, as soon as u shoot it hits thge target which to me sounds unrealistic. but i never shot a sniper rifle before or a gun for that matter

Nny the devourer

MG Whore
Feb 21, 2002
Hell
Visit site
as far as bullet drop, thats a bit accedemic because it depends also on the subtle shape of the round. For example for each caliber you can generally get differnt rounds from different manufactuers that have different flight charachteristics....(one of the most noticable being drop)

speed of sound on average on land at least around here (they do a lot of world speed record tests this side of teh US) 600mph give or take. It depends on substance density which is why they list the hieght from sea level (the lower the denser) the temp (the colder the denser) and the humidity.----and for you sci fi inf players all that goes out the window when your firing your guns on other planets hehe.

Theres also nothing said that forces a sniper rifle to use subsonic ammo (as someone previously mentioned but a lot seemed to skip) You wouldnt quell the sound of the bullet but you would very succesfully reduce the shot--though many posters on the subject where right, at a lot of the distances the person you were shooting at wouldnt hear you. But then again that patrol 200 yards away may, and also not all shots are up to a mile, ask Lee Harvey oswald.

but for all practical intense purposes, Inf has the silenced sniper rifle it needs (well unless you hate the french) The famas does teh deed. I mean psg1's and robars are very nifty...but with the limited ranges we use on most maps their scopes are really sort of an icing on the cake more then nessesity. Although i personally would like to see more silenced weapons just because it will be a cold day in hell when i use the famas opensighted hehe.

oh and ya ez, the 50cal is a huge round...err and not really suppose to be used on people; but hey we cheat hehe.
whats it they say.....alls fair in love and war