A Next-Gen Total Conversion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Brood

Developer
Jul 9, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Ok... You may want to sit down and read this with a hot cup of coffee or something, it's quite long.

My studios, Spectre Studios, are getting our act together and forming up. After removing most of the team after the failing of another project on another engine, we have gathered ourselves for one project. This will be for the next Elder Scrolls game, this is a lightweight project but not the one I am here to talk about. So far reffered to this project is known to us as "Ghost Soldiers," we have yet to find a suitable name that stands out from other mods. But we could always call it Desert Combat to attract people (LOL).

I am compiling another team to work on a UE3.0 Total Conversion, possibly to enter in the next MSU for UT2007. From what we know so far this engine will be the most versatile one yet, allowing us to do things we could have never dreamed of.

I cannot divulge too much information as it is far too early to set anything in stone. All I can say is it will be based in a fictional yet a very real war in Africa in the years 2015-2020. We have plans for large scale, realistic (but still fun) gameplay, in a few very different game modes. So far I have a timeline nearing completion, as well as weaponry profiles for all sides. I have also documented planned multiplayer modes.

Single player is still far off, not yet knowing the capabilities of the engine in this department. We hope to make an FPS/RPG/War-sim, where the player is captured and his team are killed while on duty in the Congo Basin. Someone had leaked information to the enemy, the player is presumed dead and forgotten. Six months later he escapes to wreak havoc on those who did him wrong.

Timeline
Summarised Version
- February, German company "Ost Designs" (OstDes) shows its new VTOL range.
- November, OstDes VTOLs are militarised, US and Britain sign contracts, US and Britain both recieve 10,000 new OstDes VTOL aircraft.
- Missionaries across Africa are slaughtered by an unknown force calling themselves the APF (African People's Force). Motivation is suspected to be the removal of western presence in Africa.
- French special forces in Africa move to defend Westerners.
- Military firearm companies enter a new arms race, developing new age weapons.
- UN talks on safety of aid workers in Africa begin.
- June 2012, Civil war breaks out in the Congo, quickly spreading through Africa.
- End of 2012, 40,000 Africans dead, 200 Aid workers dead.
- UN establishes a "Control Force" (UNCF) Mostly US, already present European Peacekeepers are deemed part of the UNCF as well.
- US UNCF force consists of 30,000 troops as of August 2013.
- UNCF forms a Special Ops devision, UNCFSF is formed.
- Australia and Britain send their SAS and SASR forces, Australia also sends combat engineers to become part of the UNCF force.
- November 2014, UNCF force consists of 700,000 troops from around the globe.
- November 2014, APF force said to be in the millions.
- March, war is declared by the APF, the UNCF answers.
- November, After suffering many losses, the UNCF troops are "regeared" for the new war with new age technologies.
- UNCF form new force known as the FA (Future Applications) force (UNCFFA). The UNCFFA use the latest weaponry brought onto the battlefield as a result of the new arms race.
- Odd creatures are reported, troops are talking ghosts, but scientists say gorillas.

- Christmas Day 2015, While on classified duty, 7 men of the UNCFSF are killed. Another is missing presumed dead.
- All records of the classified mission and the men involved are destroyed...

We plan to mix reality with fiction, All weapons so far planned for inclusion are real, modern day weapons that have only just entered production or are still in planning stages. Equipment is fictional, we make estimates on where technology is headed. Same goes for vehicles, uniforms, explosives and weapon modifications. There is a big twist about halfway through the single player game, I really want to say something but I can't. I will say this...

This has all pretty much been done before, so we are adding a twist. As long as I am on this team, there will also be a sequel to this TC (or retail game if I have my way). So please, do not just pass this over. I wish I had some renders or something but I don't, all I have is 70 pages of ideas, storyline, timeline and weapons. Another thing about weapons, yes there will be real life weapons for the most part, I am a bit of a weapon nut since both parents and many relatives have been in the military. The fictional weapons created will be done under the guidance of myself, don't expect lasers or hovercraft. This is a real look at the future... Almost...

At the end of this year I will by buying the domain 'SpectreStudios.net' I am in the process of building a website. As soon as it is finished and deemed acceptable by the rest of the team it will be posted up. Everyone in the team may wish to post up a portfolio on the site. I will be building 2 more sections for the "Oblivion Project" and the UT2007 project (this one).

I go by the modding name Brood, real name is Chris. Next year I am doing a Bachelor in interactive entertainment, animation. A 2 year course in which I will learn how to create 2d and 3d scenes. At the moment I am skilled in PS, a learner in Unreal Ed and a novice in 3dsMax. By the time we are animating and doing landscapes I hope to be skilled in numerous programs, including 3dsMax and UnrealEd.

My role in the Total Conversion will be landscaping, texture creation, small models and a lot of the animation work. At the moment we need modellers, at this early stage we should be able to produce a few renders of weapons and environment objects. We also need concept artists. Remember I do have big plans for this project and would like to see a retail copy of it one day. Maybe with 1 million dollars and source code under our belt we can do this.

So to sum up the idea behind this thread.
At the moment we need:

- 3 modellers, 3dsMax and/or Maya (Should be able to work from images and be skilled at what we do, if you are new to modelling and wish to join, drop me a PM and I will get back to you in a years time when we return to hire new staff).

- 3 concept artists (Should be able to sketch to high level of detail, if you are new to sketching and wish to join, drop me a PM and I will get back to you in a years time when we return to hire new staff).

- 1 webmaster, Must be able to set up forums and fix forum and website problems.

All staff should be able to work creatively in a team, prior experience also helps. If you wish to apply please PM me and I will check back here in the near future. If you have an example of your work you will be considered ahead of others.

Coop Information (8 players)
1 team leader
1 sniper
3 players
1 scout
2 support

Players may carry extra map specific equipment, such as night vision equipment, flares and special grenades and explosives. Vehicles can be brought onto the field at the request of the team leader, there will be a few places on the map where these can be retrieved. Different tactical strikes can also be requested, these include air strikes and off-map artillery.

Players must work as a team to complete a objectives, maps will be very large outdoor environments, taking place in various jungle and savannah locations in Africa. Objectives will range from hostage rescue, search and destroy, defend, infiltration, assassination etc... We hope to keep the game realistic, while still keeping it fun. Originally there were no crosshairs, but after playing through other games we have decided that the player will be able to fire from the hip with a small crosshair, but must shoulder the weapon for increased accuracy. This makes close quarter battles much easier.

In some missions you will be working alongside AI controlled troops, so far the Australian SASR, French Special Forces, CIA Operatives have all been included in the single player story, so it is likely you will be working alongside them in multiplayer.

We have also planned for a large scale multiplayer mode, hopefully more than 70 players on two different sides. Or 4, there will be the two large armies fighting one another. Then there will be a 2 smaller AI forces working alongside the large forces. So the CIA operatives, French special forces or local police may work alongside the UNCF (United Nations Control Force). Where The Ombres, Factions and Gangs will work alongside the APF (African People's Force). I'll be back in the near future to give more info on other MP modes.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited: