A Grappling hook spear gun

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jesseglen

Jan 22, 2001
i guess this would be a cross between a traslocator and a sniper rifle even know the team is trying to make INF as real as possible i think a grappling hook spear gun to get to higher or lower places would be cool and would make for great stealth attacks. Emagine your lowering yourself from the top a high building you see a sniper inside you swing to smash the window and thow a knife at the snipers throat. I would be pretty shore that something like this would exist in real life.you could also use it as a weapon were you can shoot the enemy. It would also make for some very excellend assult maps!!! (COOL!!!! THINK ABOUT IT) :D

LordSpoon

plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!
Nov 7, 2000
I'm really hoping they'll add a flak cannon myself.

page

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
I believe this has come up before. There are grappling hooks that are fired from grenade-lauchers or equivalent contraptions. They are in use with law-enforcement and military all over the world. The necessity of grappling hooks per se in urban combat is beyond dispute. There's a brief mention here:

CHANGING RUSSIAN URBAN TACTICS: THE AFTERMATH OF THE BATTLE FOR GROZNY

I think it would add to the fun of the game and the realism, but I don't know how hard it would be to code realistically...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Once again the bi-monthly grappling hook suggestion.

To sum up the most important points:

-NO

-The rope would be impossible to code, or so.(you know, it should behave like a real rope)

BTW:
'Swinging in and throw a knife at the sniper throat'???
Who are you, Bruce Willis and Jackie Chan in one person? Better use a suppressed MP5, greatly enhances your survivability.

Snakeye :D

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>'Swinging in and throw a knife at the sniper throat'???[/quote]
23.jpg

Actually Russian Spec-Ops train to throw knives

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Every member of SOBR should be capable of skillful throwing a combat knife.[/quote]

Crosshairs are for wimps :)

Killing stupid people is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

Mademanc.jpg

Official World War 2 Online Infiltration pimp

Visit Study and Operations Group the no1 Nam mod in the works.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
most instructers i've heard say you should only throw your knife if you don't have another choice. you'd be better off rushing the guy with it in most cases. if the guys moving you can pretty much forget about it. plus it wouldn't really hurt badenough to have done you much good.

take shurikens for example. they weren't typically used as a weapon but as a distratcion. old texts refer to them as the invisible attacker. they couldn't do much more than cut somebody, but they would shure distract and confuse them. kinda like a silent flashbang only not as efective.

as far as rope goes
the grappling hook with chaos ut is pretty good. you can swing around, and swing it back and forth to get it to release more rope like your repelling. i've seen stuff like that done since unreali. i also remember the bungi kit for unreali. that was alot of fun.
firetatanka.jpg

FEAR!

Scythe

I'd rather die than give you control.
Jan 13, 2001
about 30ft behind you.
Visit site
just a thought

Mabey this was just in the movie, but I believe in the movie "The Rock" they used a harpoongun like rifles to shot these spear kinda things into walls which they used as grappling hooks . that would be cool

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
i'd rather have the team working on other stuff, like scratching their butts.. hehehe.

but really, as cool as it would be to repel or swing around like tarzan, i don't know how much it help gameplay out over all.

rather than using all that effort to get into arm's reach of a sniper, i'd rather put a 40mm shell in the window, or toss a good ol frag in there.

It doesn't take much practice to get good with the gernade launchers, and after about an hours worth ( i was board ) i can easily put a 40mm in any of prime sniper spots on a number of maps.. too bad none of the bots try to snipe.

boom

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
Think it was decided a looong time ago: there will be no throwing of knives in Inf.

It's a wise person who knows the difference between free speech and cheap talk.