A Game of Thrones

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The magic of "reality" by spinvfx:

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OlgvuywT9oM[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fG3ehn4i3zk[/m]

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
bump for great justice.

7Tdbn55.jpg

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Yeah; you are right. ;)

I have just finished watching season 1 but I've read all the books so I already know all the spoilers (season 5 spoilers are a cracker). On to season 2; at least they did a decent job of making the tv series faithful to the books.

Reactions: Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
right now everybody is saying that Melly will just give Jon the Kiss of Life or some shit.
I haven't read the books so I dunno what that is, but that would be cool if she did.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
right now everybody is saying that Melly will just give Jon the Kiss of Life or some shit.
I haven't read the books so I dunno what that is, but that would be cool if she did.
Whatever happens to Lord Snow (if anything) happens in the book that Martin is still writing. I'd like to know how this is going to play out but we'll have to hang fire....

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
We did see that guy with the flaming sword fighting the Hound get resurrected, and Mellisandre is in Castle Black currently, so I think it's very likely.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Book and show are officially caught up. In some places the show is past the books (Stannis). Jon will be back. Melisandre isn't there for nothing. He is the song of Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targaryen, read R+L=J) and Azor Ahai, the Prince that was promised, the Stallion that mounts the world etc.

Melisandre wasn't completely wrong about her visions. Only a little. :)

"I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only snow." - Melisandre

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Indeed. He's the son of Lyanna Stark (Ned's dead sister) and Rhaegar Targaryen (the Mad King's son and Daenerys' brother).

If Jon is truly dead, we probably would know exactly who Jon's parents were before he died so we could see his reaction. Learning about his parents after he's dead is kind of pointless, IMO.

The only way I see Jon as really dead is if the White Walkers actually win and destroy the world in the end.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
This should explain everything you need to know about R+L=J (Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon).
that's pretty interesting.
especially the part about how GRRM still has power to change his mind in spite of his original intention.

considering the fact that Martin is aware of people converging on the truth, he could just get pissed off that everybody has guessed the secret, and end completely rewriting it.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
considering the fact that Martin is aware of people converging on the truth, he could just get pissed off that everybody has guessed the secret, and end completely rewriting it.

Probably true, but what if he's glad so many people have brought in to the idea? He surely could use that to extend out the story for as long as he can be bothered. Dying before it is finished.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Book readers have had years (A Game of Thrones came out in 1996) to study every word GRRM has written. I'm pretty sure this theory is legit. Of course it could be wrong; that's why it's a theory, but it's a pretty damn good theory.

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the word on the street is that GRRM was interviewing D&D before they ever began writing the show to ensure they were diehard fans and not just Hollywood producers with an agenda. apparently he gave them a single-question pop quiz; "who is Jon Snow's mother?"

and apparently they got it "correct."
supposedly this information doesn't appear anywhere in the text but it is implied if you really put the pieces together. so Martin has some specific ending in mind even if he doesn't necessarily want to set it into stone right now.

Reactions: Al

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011

I saw an interview in which he specifically addressed this, saying that sometimes readers do correctly guess plot lines and he doesn’t allow that to affect the story. He builds up a framework of foreshadowing that leaves little room for deviation; he’s not going to make up a different conclusion and ruin all of that just to spite the people who did their homework.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
I can't consider myself a huge Martin fan. I was intrigued by the tv show a couple of years ago and decided I would read the books first. The books are a ripping yarn and I'm sure I will read the next book (which should be season 6 when it gets to tv).

I'm sure true fans have speculated over a lot of the story and what's possible in the future. You learn pretty quickly not to become too attached to characters in the story; their roles in the story usually come to a violent and bloody end.....