A Different Vortex2 Map?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hawkeye74

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
I was looking through my copy Unreal SE (included with the original SBLive! card) to see if there was anything on it that was not in the retail version. I found a map called Vortex2Det

It seems to be identical to Vortex2 in the full game, except that there are no dead bodies and the scene where the crew members were killed by the Skaarj behind that closed door is no longer there. The door just opens and the skaarj runs away.

Does anyone know anything about this map, the reason it was made or any other interesting details?

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
perhaps the demo was made prior to the retail version and that sequence was added later.

I don't see any reason why it would have been cut-out of a demo (thats what your reffering to btw).

Hawkeye74

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
I thought it might be something like that, except all the other levels are unchanged; in fact the game still uses the regular Vortex2 map. The Vortex2Det map isn't even installed in Unreal SE. I just happened to find it while browsing through the maps directory. I couldn't find any information about it anywhere, so I was just wondering if anyone had seen it.

A friend of mine got Unreal SE with his Diamond Monster 3D card and like the one that came with my Creative card it has this alternate map on the CD.

Homer

Nov 26, 1999
Hannover, Germany
www.bluestuff.de
well maybe they ship this SE with both versions and install the corrosponding Vortex2 depending on the language you select... just a thought. And yes, the modded Vortex2 is the only change in the german version map wise; other than that they altered some scripts so you get green blood and can't decapitate anymore.

Hawkeye74

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
That may be it then. I wonder if I change my lanquage in Windows to German and try to install it, if it would install the edited map and also the green blood. Might be interesting...

Thanks for the info :)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Zip it up and post it on the net for me to download :) Come on! Be nice to the cripple who ran himself over with an ATV! :)

Homer

Nov 26, 1999
Hannover, Germany
www.bluestuff.de
don't take me for stupid.... I know there's this low gore setting.... the difference in the german version is that changing it's value brings zoooot. Plus, the german version has, as stated above, a slightly modified Voretx2 map.

Homer

Nov 26, 1999
Hannover, Germany
www.bluestuff.de
I don't know too many details about the german version of unreal as I only have the english version. I only know that they removed ALOT of gore in vortex2 and "softened" a bit the scene where you first encounter the Skaarj.

As for UT: AFAIK there is no localized version of it... but I may be wrong here.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
I have that demo,
I installed the german version,
on first startup, it opened a text window
with the story start of the game in german, I didnt see any english version.

nope, no dead bodies in vortex2
you cant go downstairs to the electrocution chamber, the lever to take you down was removed.
The skaarj encounter is shortened up, the door just opens sooner, no sounds.
looking in the system folder, there are *.det folders for every level of the game
even tho not all the levels are present, the det converter files are , hehe

Rest of the levels are normal, I think the gore level may be reduced.
all text is in german.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
The German UT has all the human bots changed into war-machines, 'cause you can't show a real person (?) being shot.

And here's some trivia for you: in some countries, The Empire Strikes Back had the scene where Luke gets his hand sliced off cut out, and consequently this led people to believe he was an android (when his mechanical hand is being tried out).

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
What's wrong with other countries now adays? They should expose people to death, that way, if a war occurs, their soldiors won't pus[/]sy out and get killed.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
They're probably trying to forget it ever happened. We just never let them live it down do we?:)

But at least they expose themselves to a proper dosage of SEX, unlike this hipocrite nation (less sex, more Death, AMERICA RULES!!!!)

Krallopian

NC114-85EKLS
Nov 10, 1999
Krallopia
Visit site
DM-VortexRikers

Around a year or two ago, I made a new VortexRikers... got permission from Cliff to do whatever I wanted without problems, so all was good.

What I did was simply make the level working again, no more brokeness, no flashing screens, no non working doors, access to every part of the map, more working ambience, green status not red.

It was really cool, I even made the sequence down stairs work real well.. hehe

I wonder if I have that around anymore

- Krall