1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

A Different UNREAL 1

Discussion in 'Unreal' started by Vortex Convict, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Vortex Convict

Vortex Convict New Member

Did anyone have different expectations for the story, gameplay, and level design for the first UNREAL? If you were to recreate or ramake the entire game, how would your version of UNREAL differ from the retail version? What improvements would you have made in terms of design, story, enemies, levels, weapons, etc?

2. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

I'd probably add anything that has been cut but as optional stuff.

3. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

The thing is we don't know what exactly was cut apart from screenshots, vids and the one leaked "press" beta. I would say the best approach for remake would be to take a look at all the different prerelease versions of Unreal and take the best out of best of it, plus all the levels that were in original release. Improve weaker levels, make real hub system, keep it fresh, but still having the unique atmosphere and art style, while making it all seem a bit more real.

That's what I would do.

4. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

I'd like to see an open world Na Pali, but I doubt that it would ever happen.

5. Waffnuffly

Waffnuffly >:E

an option to turn trees off

6. AWW SNACK

AWW SNACK New Member

I think the best route would be to make a levelpack that doesn't really connect the levels outside of "they were seen in beta footage/press release". Trying to stitch all of those beta levels from different period of development into a coherent story that fits what we know about prerelease versions of U1 would be a real pain.

7. UBerserker

Don't change the Minigun model because that's the only good/great thing about that terrible waste of arsenal spot. The music can be left alone, otherwise call an expert music composer like DiPrisco, adjust the quality and that is.
    Also a rewrite of every enemy AI because they are dumb and easily exploitable.

8. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Make vortex rikers bigger :D It looks like a ship for midget criminals.

9. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

I didn't say all of them, I meant more like the ones that would still fit (connecting all of them would make the game too large and disconnected), level pack(s) should be made later, sure. I would even make one as free addon and perhaps one other larger one or two for cash and including first one as bonus on the DVD, perhaps even another bonus, which could be downloaded separately and that would be more like remake of original UT more or less.

Again, that's only my fantasy and how I would do it.

That would be one of first things to make if I was to take part in the project and also make the connection between levels make more sense, because vortex rikers from outside is too small compared to inside and for example the exit of depths of rrajigar would end up in nyleve if you connected the original maps and it would overlap the geometry, in beta it was not the case since passage entrance was at nyleve itself, at the big box room with the brutes.

Players are not expected to notice such details though, but for realism and sense sake I beleive it would be best to make the levels more interconnected that way or at least test if they wouldn't overlap geometry.

10. UBerserker

Di Prisco is a great music composer and so his stuff for Need For Speed and especially for UT3. UT3 OST is probably the best one in the series, excellent production value by the three composers (Lockdown, To The Death, Outpost, Industrial, Mekalopolis, Firestorm, Necris Attacks, etc - where do you find this unique stuff?).
    To be honest the only tracks that stand out for me from U1 are Erosion, Sunspire, Dasa, Newmca12, Terraniux, Cyrene and Isotoxin. From UT... meh, I guess Mech8 - how can you go wrong with Necros anyway. Never really liked the UT1 music due to various tracks being boring (SkyWard, which got remixed for good in UT3) or plain awful (Superfist, Stalwart, Razorback). Even Alexander wasn't happy at all about it.

EDIT: I know you don't like the UT3 music (jeez) but now you can save this whole "DiPrisco is ****" nonsense which is extremely stupid.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  11. Waffnuffly

Waffnuffly >:E

wow who cares

Good luck if you actually do this; it would be a really big undertaking on a lot of levels. I think another set of maps that don't actually physically connect properly is Harobed / TerraLift / Terraniux / Noork, but I can't be sure. I DO know that the Terraniux geo in Harobed is smaller than the actual gardens are in the base/ship/sewer/phonebooth/whatever the hell Terraniux is.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  12. UBerserker

If that section is fully connected, yeah, the Terraniux itself will be a pain in the ass to re-create. Worse thing, there aren't real info on how is the full model of Terraniux. What the hell is it, a giant helicopter?

13. Creavion

Creavion New Member

Really, I also wonder whats wrong with you. Rom di prisco was more than a worthy successor for the UT1 styled music in UT3. UT2004 music was mostly "cheerful" or at least not that serious as like in UT1. I still love the UT3 music. Epic did a pretty good job choosing him for the music job, same for Kyd. Riepl also did some less good level tracksets (Coret and Strident), which proves he also can compose typicial old-fashioned ut music. I can hardly hear similarities between Need for Speed 2/3/4 music and UT3. There was only one freaking track in the UT3 OSTs from which I thought.. would perfectly fit to classic NFS (Unreal Tournament 3 OST Disc 1, 11: Suborbital Graviton) but it did not make it into the game anyway.

14. UBerserker

They were just not memorable, or just not very consistent with the theme. Kevin Riepl did become insanely better since then, as you can see from some of his UC2 tracks and all of his UT3 contributions (INDUSTRIAL and Strident own).

15. FXD|Shadow

FXD|Shadow Mad Man, really

big fat dito on this one! I would really love to support and work on a mod realizing that idea...

16. NeoNite

Les goƻts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas.

And yes, also ditto on the open world idea.

17. UBerserker

Unreal Fallout-style. Would be the best thing ever.
    Join the Mercs, fight the Skaarj! This would actually make the story more interesting as well.

18. FXD|Shadow

If we would just have more time and a team of willing and competent modders.

19. NeoNite

Play as a Skaarj, fight humans/mercs, and mess around with krall/nali. Explore sections of the planet the other races have none/or very limited access to. Get to know the intimate details of the skaarj social hierarchy structure.

I always wanted to play as a Skaarj. Yeah, there are the monstercoop mutators but that's not the same.

20. FXD|Shadow

Yeah exactly what's popping up in my mind too.

Problem is: without any big team this seems far to ambitious and needs another decade to finish xD A get-around would be releasing the Mod in Episodes splitting into multiple campaigns (human, skaarj, merc, nali).