A different aiming system

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Sorry for bugging you with my stupid suggestions, but I have an idea. This is pretty much one of my oldest suggestions.

I find the aiming system in INF one of the best and a good solution, but anyway I think it is not that close to how soldiers aim in real life.

I know, they are things in a game, that can't be simulated yet.
The first is the 2 angle view (what I find is not the biggest issue), the second is the real depth of the human view (but games work anyway, even with a bit limitted view).

Here some pics to explain my aiming system:

Lowready
Lowready_nas.gif

Highready
Highready_nas.gif

Aim
Aim_nas.gif

Lowready
The weapon is held down to a degree.

If you look exatly forward, you see the weapon as in the first picture.
Turning to the right and left, or looking down will keep this weapon at the bottom position.
Looking up, the weapon position stays, while your head (view) is looking up (you do not see the weapon then).

This is more of an observing mode. Moving close to walls, will lower the weapon even more.

You can shoot, but you will shoot down. Cold be usefull if you run exactly into an enemy.

You can walk and run like normal.

Highready
If you push the right mouse key, the weapon will be aimed, but both eyes are open, that way you do not see the gun exact from behind, cuz the opened left eye does not allow the right eye to dominate and see the sight clear.
In real life you would see kinda 2 transparent weapon images, but it is hard to use the sight, cuz the left eye disturb the right eye.
To find a solution of this, I would take a mixed weapon position between the two real life views.

This view is kinda shouldered, but aimed at the same time. Freeaim exist a bit and weapon sway, to give the bullet spray.

You can shoot, but it is less a shooting mode, but a ready mode. To shoot the soldier is closing his left eye and let the right eye dominate and see the sight image clerarly.

You can walk and run like normal.

Aim
If you hold the right mouse key, the left eye get closed and you see a clear rearsight image with your right eye, that way you can aim exactly.
Freeaim is reduced hardly. You just have freeaim enough, to let the sight behave not like freezed, but it is not exactly a freeaim at all.

No matter if you are in low ready, or high ready, holding the right mouse key, will aim instant. If you aim from the Lowready, you will have a short weaponbarrel lifting animation, thats why it is recommended allready to have the gun in Highready, but it is a small issue.

Aimed, you can walk normal, you can even run, but to increase the aiming the run speed will be reduced.

-------------------------------------------------

Scopes
Sniperrifles are held not like in picture 1, but sideways, buy pushing the right mouse key, the scope will be aimed (without to hold the key).

If ppl want to have a shouldered sniper position, than pushing the right mouse key will shoulder it, holding the right mouse key, or pushing a scope key will aim the scope.

Weapons that have sights and scopes like the G36, will use the red dor sight by holding the right mouse key, scope by pushing the scope key.

Weapons like M4A1 with an acog scope, will aim the scope by holding right mouse key and pushing scope key (if the over the scope sights can be used by holding the right mouse can be done).

Pistols
It is easy to implement real pistol aiming. Pistols do not have a highready/aim mode, but just the lowready and aim modes. They is no two angle view problem, you can aim a pistol with both eyes open.
Pistol low ready is not lowered to a degree, but so that you do not see it on the screen.
Pushing the right mouse key will aim the pistol, while the vertical downward freeaim is good, to lower the pistol. Sideward freeiam is very reduced.

Explanation
Soldiers mostly have the gun lowered to a degree, for having free view. If they take the gun to a ready to shoot position, they have still both eyes open, which do not allow them to aim exactly, therefore, they close the left eye, to aim.
They aim mostly for a short time (temporary), only if they want to shoot, thats why I have chosen the aiming beeing a hold key action, to be able to release aiming instantly, without to click the key two times.

If they do not need to aim and shoot, they have both eyes open, to observe (pic 2). They can shoot, but better closing the left eye before.
To make aiming as fast as in RL, you do not have any animations, since the right eye is allready where it needs to be. You just close the left eye and the weapon (sight) instantly appears in the middle. By opening the left eye it disappears same fast.
On extreme short ranges, they is no need to close the left eye, you can use the high ready mode. Only if you wish, you can aim (if you have time, aiming is extreme fast anyway).

In case of real aiming in games, I love pistols, cuz it is easy to implement a real pistol aiming.

I know, that INF combines all the 3 explained modes to one (the normal aiming in INF), but I think INF's aiming is not that ralistic.
My desire is to have an even more realistic rifle aiming (pistols are easy to make anyway), and I think my system could probably be more realistic (if tested).

I doubt seeing that in INF (not really posting it of that reason) and I highly doubt seeing here somebody with a bit of agreement, but anyway, you can tell what sucks in my suggestion.
Ppl, who deal with gunz (meplat, gal-z, ...), can tell why I´m wrong and how it works in RL.
Even if SS agree, players like the current system, so it will probably stay.

I was sizing the pics I made to my screen resolution (1280x960) to see how that would look ingame. No matter of the quality you can do it too and compare.

Attachments

• Lowready_nas.gif
    Lowready_nas.gif
    173.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Highready_nas.gif
    Highready_nas.gif
    174.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Aim_nas.gif
    Aim_nas.gif
    168.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
I'll bite: this is something I've wanted in for some time, and something I've expected would show up as a mutator for about as long. Still hoping.

Anyway, I can't comment too much on realism, considering the closest to holding a gun I've ever come is holding a couple airsoft pistols and microuzi. Still, the bit about pistols only having low ready and aimed modes doesn't seem right; they shuold be able to change positions quite a bit faster than full size weapons, but they should still have access to all three. I still do find it too damn hard to pull off snap shots and quick follow ups, and handling a weapon, in my limited experience, is definitely a lot easier in real life.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
It's extremely unlikely to happen officially, but as a mutator? Certainly doesn't seem out of the question.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
Arethusa said:
It's extremely unlikely to happen officially,

why not?

that is how you fire a weapon in real life, does SS not strive for realism? anything less (a "hipped" mode, even a BAR is fired from the shoulder) is a cheap hack with no bearing in the world of firearms.

A ground-up re-development of INF on a new engine is the perfect time to make our aiming system better. why stick with the old method if it is imperfect?

we need a lowready mode, if not as a mutator, then certainly in the next version of INF.

Last edited:

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
No, at this point, SS has pretty much stated that they're done with an official development on 2.9 And who can blame them? UT is too damn old. It's time to move on.

Still, regardless of whom it comes from, I'd really like to see this done. If Sentry's got the time and is willing, I won't complain.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Wow, I´m highly surprized to see a bit of agreement :), thanks.

CloudOne said:
This has been suggested many times...
Yes? Can't remeber. I saw discussions about a shouldered mode (not exactly what I mean with picture 2) and a bigger ironsight.

Blitzschlag said:
Scopes:
Some of the newer weapons have backup iron sights, so u could use the highready for that!
Yup, like I said, if they is a ironsight (standert, or back up), byside the scope, it will be used by the hold aim key, scopes will be used by a scope key.

High ready is a mode, where both eyes are opened, and in case of the ACOG, the right eye is in the position of the top of the acog scope section. Where the backup sight is, to be exact.
So closing the left eye will let you aim the backup sight.

To aim the acog scope, it wouldn´t require any animation, cuz you do not bring the weapon from shouldered to aim the scope, but has the weapon allready aimed, you just look a bit down, through the scope.

Since SS will make the next INF in a nother engine I have high hopes for improovement.
And no, improovement for me is not much new stuff, but the old stuff.

Other weapon position options
A shouldered mode, no sight aiming, can be an option. You could adjust it, so the second picture (aimed but both eyes open), would be instead the shouldered, where the weapon is more at the right side and more lowered (rearsight is way below the front sight line).

The advantage would be more free view at the middle.
The disatvantage would be less accurate. And a longer aiming.

The highready would replace the 'aimed with both eyes' mode with the real unaimed shouldered mode, where the weapon position is lower and more sideward.
Lowready would be the same as pic 1.
Aimed would be same as pic 3, but the difference would be, that if you hold the aim key, you have a little animation, where the shouldered weapon is moving closer to the middle and when it reaches the position, where the aimed highready is (the actual pic 2), it switches animationless to the ironsight view.

I personally would probably use the both eyes aimed highready than shouldered, cuz the aimed high ready allows you better snapshooting and faster aiming (sights or acog scopes).
I don´t know why ppl would use the shouldered, maybe in extrem SQB, where they want to have more space in the middle, or just for fun, but aiming with both eyes open and instatly aim the sight by closing the left eye (hold key) seems more effective for me.
But as an option the shouldered position could be.

Hipped? I don´t know. For what reason? CQB? Therefore is the lowready, or want you shoot walls from hipped?

Holding Breath
Oh, I forgot the breath holding stuff.
If you aim a weapon with the right eye (holding key), you also hold breath. Logical I think, cuz you aim to shoot, so you hold breath and try to reduce weaponsway too.
If you aim so long, so you begin to breath again, then just 'reaim'.

If you use a scope, wich is activated by pushing the scope key, you hold breath by holding the normal aim key.
No reason to reaim the scope if breathing again, cuz you can hold breath by holding the aim key again.
Scopes will be activated and deactivated by the scope key only (if the weapon have other sights, than just a scope).

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Problems:

Low ready looks pointless. High ready accomplishes both by using freeaim to raise and lower the weapon.

Holding down aim is going to become very annoying in static defense situations. It would be like having to hold the crouch button.

Why are you removing hipped shooting? The fastest way to shoot an enemy at close range if you have just stopped sprinting is to hip them. It takes longer to shoulder the weapon and fire.
--------------------
I DO like the idea of having a way to shoot scoped weapons from the shoulder without looking through the scope.

For sniper rifles, since there isn't any hipped position, the unscoped shoulder position could take its place (but no jogging with it).

I don't know what to do for scoped assualt rifles. I don't think holding down aim is a good method. Maybe another coulple keys should be added so each attachment gets its own. Then the scope would be toggled with its attachment key.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
keihaswarrior said:
Low ready looks pointless.
It looks pointless, cuz you do not see it in action (I see it in my mind :p).
This weapon position is independant from the view, so no freeaim. If you move the mouse, you instantly will turn your head around, while the weapon stay lowready.
If you walk close to walls, it will lower even more and you would not stuck. Aimed weapons will stuck.
Also the lean could be probably larger.

High ready accomplishes both by using freeaim to raise and lower the weapon.
I know, if having the freeaim as in INF, but I was suggesting the freeaim beeing a circle around the center, so 'aiming' both eyes open would be more comfortable and useful.
Even if the freeaim is small, you can lower the sight a bit, but if you look up it will be raised again, so lowready include a completely free view.

Holding down aim is going to become very annoying in static defense situations.
But do the soldiers hold the left eye closed the whole time in static situations?
I always saw soldiers aiming the gun both eyes open, for a long time and then aiming with the right eye with no time lost.
That would be the same with this system, you would observe and if you want shoot, hold down the aim key and the sight would snap instantly at the center and you aim.

But of course I can imagine situations, where you just wait this bastard (enemy :p) coming out and shoot him. So I would suggest, after 4 seconds holding the aim key it would 'engage'. By pushing it, it would disengage.

Holding the aim key is more for fast combats where you have to aim fast, and 'release' the aim again, to run faster.
Cuz than it is more comfortable to push the key and release, push and release, than click to aim, click to unaim, click to aim, click to unaim.

The fastest way to shoot an enemy at close range if you have just stopped sprinting is to hip them.
If you hold the rifle while sprinting like in INF than probably yes. But if you hold the barrel down, than the buttstock is near the shoulder, so you have just to lift the rifle and you have a lowready, highready, shouldered and finally the aimed position, fast.

Well, then just use the sprint more tactical :p

I would suggest, after a sprint the weapon should be aimed automatical (both eyes open of course), or shouldered (if adjusted), then you can go to lowready by a click of the aim key (right mouse key) if you want.
If you sprint into a wall, or close enough, the weapon can´t be aimed, so it will go to lowready.

I don't know what to do for scoped assualt rifles. I don't think holding down aim is a good method.
I know it is hard to notice everything, cuz I wrote so much, but I said, that scoped will be activating and deactivating by a special scope key (no hold, just click), but to hold breathm, you would use the normal aim key. With this key you usually just aim normal sights, but since the scope is allready in use, you just hold breath with this aim key. That goes for all scopes.

I just suggested, if they is a sniper, that have absolutely no back up sights and if they will be no shouldered sniperrifle mode, than for comfort sake, you could activate with the aim key the scope, but to deactivate you need to push the scope key, cuz then the aim key is used to hold breath.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
REFLEX/REDDOT Sights

Reflexsight
Reflexsight_nas.gif

Reflex, Reddot sight
I thought about how reflex and reddot sights can be implemented correctly. Never aimed reflex, or reddots, but it is said, that you can use them with both eyes. Now I thought how to include this advantage using the Highready (pic 2, first post).

If I imagine aiming a G36 but hold both eyes open, I notice, that the laserimage in the sight is glowing strong.
If you use normal ironsights with both eyes, the frontsight image is very hard to see, only if you concentrate yourself in the right eye you can see it more clear, thats why clising the left eye helps aiming.
But a glowing laser sight is dominant and even if you do not see the plastic sight, the eye would notice the glowing laser very intensiv.
If you see the gun at the side with the left eye, you would see a very weak ret point that the right eye is seeing.

Thats what I suggest for such sights. See the picture above and see exactly at the middle, and you notice a small red point (same big as the point inside the reflex sight).
This point would be 50% transparent, cuz seen with only one eye. It is more of a spooky image.

I allready can hear the complaints as 'crosshair attack!', but no, you can´t hold breath, so this dot would always bob a bit.
It would be extrem movement influented, since you would run normal speed, not slower if holding the aim key.
Freeaim and other movement would affect it too, so you would never be able to use it as a crosshair, but it would give you an advanatage in CQB as it is the case in Real Life.

If you hold the aim key and close the left eye, instantly the sight appears centered, but the dot would have a short and extreme quick animation, where it moves from its position (where ever it is), to the center and get less transparent, and you could aim accurate.

That wont give you an uberadvantage compared to normal ironsight anyway.
And you would see the transparent dot only if the right eye is looking exactly through the sight. With shouldered, lowready and all the other thing, it would be impossible to have that effect.

Laseraimingmodule

If using laser to aim, I´m not sure how it can be used, since holding breath is done by aiming the sight.

I can only say, that laser sights, would really kick ass, using the unaimed, shouldered weapon position.
If aiming the sight, holding both eyes open, that would work fine too, but it would make big sence with the shouldered mode.

Aiming Scopes holding both eyes open
If a sniper is aiming the scope, he can hold the left eye open too have a better view.

I tried myself with a binocle and noticed, that you see with the left eye the whole area (except the areas at the right side, where the left eye sees the scope), the inside of the scope seems transparent, and the cool thing is, you see the zoomed circle with the crosshair as a transparent, spooky image in the center of your unzoomed view!

Now I thought, how damn nice it would be to have the same feature in the game.

I rather suggest it for 3D scope sight. Then, you would see this animation:
You look through the scope with the right eye, the left is closed. You see a massive scope, outside the scope the are is unzoomed, inside you see the zoomed circle with the crosshair.

By pushing a special key, the inside of the scope (the metal 3D part and the zoomed circle) get 50% transparent, while the unzoomed image (outside the scope) stays non transparent, and you see the normal unzoomed view, with a transparent and spooky scope and the zoomed area inside the scope.

You can aim that way, but cant hold breath, so then better close the left eye.
If you push the aim key you will close the left eye, and the scope inside and the zoomed circle get massive and you can hold breath and aim accurate.

That sounds great I think, but the question is, can that be done with todays engines? I think two overlays, while the one is transparent can be done, but how far we can go, I don´t know.

Attachments

• Reflexsight_nas.gif
    Reflexsight_nas.gif
    180.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Specter

Infiltrator
Jul 17, 2002
Lt. said:
that is how you fire a weapon in real life, does SS not strive for realism? anything less (a "hipped" mode, even a BAR is fired from the shoulder) is a cheap hack with no bearing in the world of firearms.

I may be misinterpreting what you said, but although the BAR can be fired from the shoulder it was originally designed to be fired from the hip.

John Browning first demonstrated his automatic rifle, which was based upon the above tactical concept, on 27 February 1917. The BAR was originally designed to be carried by an advancing infantryman with the sling over his shoulder and the butt against the hip. In fact, early BAR web gear featured a steel box on the right side on the belt into which the soldier would place the butt as he walked forward, firing the weapon with each step of the right foot. The hit probability must have been unacceptably low by today's standards, but the idea was to keep the enemy hunkered down in their trenches as the assaulting units advanced.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/articles/14.htm

It would be interesting to have animations where when you are not aiming the weapon is at the "low ready" position until you fire, then it would switch to hipped firing. When you are aimed the weapon is in aimed like normal, then switches to high ready if you do not fire for a period of time. Then when you start firing in high ready it returns to aimed mode.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I could make ya at most a gif animation mutie :p

But I don´t know how to make real muties, I think it would be to complicated.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
I like your concept, but it needs a little work. Also, your controls (key-wise) need lots of work.

Hipped: Although not exactly a useful mode, it is rarely used IRL and therefore should be in-game. In-game the only case it would be used IMO is when you have a long weapon in CQB and want to shoot around corners without bashing the barrel at walls, as well as if u see an enemy in the middle of a sprint at point blank, stop sprinting and shoot.

LowReady: A pretty useful mode for moving around, because it combines fast aiming with low muscle fatigue, as well as not aiming the weapon at the teammate standing in front of you. You got this mode pretty well done, except for that the weapon model should be almost out of your line of sight.

HighReady: This mode is really not used. In order to have your right eye in front of the sight, you need to tilt your head down to the sight. If you bother to do that, you might as well aim. You should take this mode out and replace with shouldered mode. The only ones that would use highready are those that are able to shoot their weapon with both eyes open, in which case they would never use the aimed mode.

Shouldered: Much more useful than high ready, with the sight about 2cm lower and 1cm to the right of your right eye, you see the weapon lower than how you put it in highready (I've seen you post a good image of this in 1st person on another thread). This is used for searching targets and close range shooting, not the highready. See attached images for how they teach the IDF SF to use this mode in CQB. When you're in a defensive postion you're likely to use this mode, because it doesn't make 1 eye get tired and lets you search for targets well. Aiming is fast because you do not move the weapon at all to aim - you only lower your head a bit to reach the sights.

Aimed: Like you said on another thread, should've have freeaim in this mode, unlike shouldered/hipped that should have some/lots of free aim accordingly since it makes it as hard as it is IRL to point the rifle where your eyes are looking. Rest is pretty obvious in this mode.

Breathing: You should be able to hold breath when aiming weapons that are possible to aim with both eyes open, such as reflex sights and pistols.

Reflex sights: The shouldn't have a 1-eye shooting position - they're meant to be used with 2 eyes open, so highready is basically replacing their aimed mode. Note that even with a reflex you would want to shoot with shouldered position at close ranges as it's faster and lets you see a wider area, while being accurate enough for those ranges.

Scopes: As I understand from previous discussions, it's pretty impractical to let you see outside the scope, because it'll be hard to program and take INCREDIBLE CPU power. Considering that, and the fact that if you aim you don't see the surroundings CLEARLY, scoped weapons should basically be like regular weapons, with lowready, shouldered and aimed modes.

Lazers: They're meant to be used in hipped and sometimes shouldered modes only, in case that wasn't obviuos. The reason it's easy to use them in hipped as well is because they make it incredibly easy to tell where your weapon is aimed (obviously).

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 92
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
REDDOT

Highready (Aim, both eyes open)
Reddot_nas.gif

Aim (Aim, left eye closed)
Reddot_aim_nas.gif

Reddot aim, both eyes open (High ready)
Here an example of the G36K Reddot. You can aim in fast CQB by having both eyes open (Highready) and still see the dot with the right eye.

As explained in the Reflexsight post (#11) it is not a crosshair, but just the dominant image that is seen with the right eye, so this dot will bob and sway around and very hard influenced by movement (even just by turnes).

The dot is transparent to 50%, cuz seen with one eye.

Reddot aim, left eye closed
You aim the sight and see the dot less transparent

FREEAIM

Lowready
No freeaim, you just see some movement in the weapon if you turn and move, to let it look natural, but no freeaim at all.

Highready
You have a very little freeaim (some milimeters), while the vertical freeaim is a bit more. The vertical freeaim is a bit more, cuz in real life you can move the weapon a bit up and down, whithout to follow with the head, just with the eyes, cuz the head stays at the buttstock anyway. But if you turn, you follow with your head.
The bigger vertical freeaim simulates that feature. But the vertical freeaim is not as huge, to lower the weapon into lowready.

Aim
Since you try to aim very accurate using the sights, you exactly follow the weapon with the head. So you have to the side only a very bit freeaim, only the vertical freeaim is a bit more, so you can move the sight a bit down and a bit up.

Attachments

• Reddot_nas.gif
    Reddot_nas.gif
    172.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Reddot_aim_nas.gif
    Reddot_aim_nas.gif
    167.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Psychomorph said:
REFLEX/REDDOT Sights

Reflexsight
Reflexsight_nas.gif
This is much much better than your G36 example...
Also your not supposed to use 1 eye aiming with reflex sights...
As I already said, highready should replace the aim mode for reflex sights and shouldn't exist for other sights. For other sights shouldered is always better than highready, as there is no reason to move your head down to the weapon if you're not actually using its sights.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
gal-z said:
LowReady: ...You got this mode pretty well done, except for that the weapon model should be almost out of your line of sight.
The pic was meant to have mouseview, so you just see the upper part, the model is also smaller, cuz it is not that close to the eye.
But of course, the position can be corrected in the game, the pic is just an example, most what I could get from INF.

@Highready/Shouldered/Reflex/Reddot:
Well as I explained, it could be an option, where you adjust having the highready, or shouldered. The lowready and aimed would stay the same.
And since the shouldered is not that close to the eye, it will have a very short animation, where the head is moving lower.

And if you use the reddots and reflex', than you can adjust the highready (pic 2).
The aiming mode while using reddots could be still usefull if you aim on larger distances, that way you would see the dot less transparent.

How to hold breath while using reddot and both eyes open, I´m not sure yet. Maybe a special key, that will hold breath untill the limit if you push it (no need to hold), when you breath again, than push it again.

Shouldered M16

Thats how the shouldered would be, probably a biger model, but more or less that way.

@Pistols:
I explained, that you have the pistols with a lowready/aim toggle pushing the aim key, since if you aim the pistol they is no neet to close the left eye, you just hold breath by holding the aim key.
Pistols would work pretty much the same as they are in INF, and you would have a larger vertical downward freeaim aiming a pistol, so you could take it to a lowready like position by moving the mouse.

@Scopes:
Don´t know, Red Orchestra has allready that kind of stuff and it worked on my old 900Mhz PC.

- edit -

I didn´t posted it, but I meant also having the one eye aimed mode for Reflex.

As I said, you could use shouldered instead of highready, and you could use reflex/reddot in highready as in the pics. Aiming reflex with one eye could be an ability of you.

I´m not an expert about Reddot and Reflex, so if you say the sight should be used as in highready only (no one eye aiming), that of course we can replace the one eye aiming with the highready, and shouldered repalces the highready then.
But I personally would still prefer also using one eye shooting, just imho.

Attachments

• Shouldered_M16.gif
    Shouldered_M16.gif
    182.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
The only reason some people use reflex sights with 1 eye is because they're used to iron sights. As far as I know it is in no way more accurate to shoot with 1 eye.
And again, highready is really never used with non-reflex weapons, as it has the disadvntages of both shouldered (not knowing where you aim) and aimed (weapon blocking FOV), while only have a tiny advantage of VERY SLIGHTLY faster aiming. Whenever you mentioned highready for non-reflex weapons, you should've used shouldered instead IMO.

1 more thing regarding lowready: You lowready has the weapon too high on the FOV. You should lower the weapon so that the yellow line will be at the bottom of the screen.

Attachments

• Shouldered%20M16.jpg
    Shouldered%20M16.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Ok, lets summerize:

Rifles with ironsight
1) Shouldered adjusted
- Lowready
- Shouldered
- Aimed with one eye

2) Aiming adjusted
- Lowready
- Aimed with both eyes
- Aimed with one eye

If it is worth, Shouldered and Amied with both eyes can be a toggle, and the player decides what he wants to use.

Rifles with Reddot/Reflex sights
1) For closer ranges
- Lowready
- Shouldered
- Aim both eyes

2) For longer ranges
- Lowready
- Aim both eyes
- Aim one eye

That way you could always use, what you want. A realistic optionality would be nice.

But if using reflex with one eye is that useless, than no problem, we can get rid of that.

@Lowready:
The lowready I meant is where the barrel is lowered a bit, not really like the lowready is on the real photos in the first picture.
I often saw soldiers and SWAT officers having the sight just below the eye while the barrel is lowered. That way raising the barrel takes less time and you can use that lowready in CQB more often.
Coming close to things will lower the weapon even more.

Typing that I got an idea.
What about if this...
- Lowready
- Shouldered
- Aimed with one eye
... cause, that the gun in lowready is not visible.

But this...
- Lowready
- Aimed with both eyes
- Aimed with one eye
... cause, that the sight at lowready is particulary visible (if looking forward), cuz you have another lowready position, prepared to aim, not like in shouldered, where you are not prepared to aim.

This kind of variation would be nice, but the maker should decide if it is worth coding and animating.

Last edited: