1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[3dsMax] Multiple UVW MAPs?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by ScrollMaster, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ScrollMaster

ScrollMaster SZ Mod Leader

Trying to texture my model but I cant seem to figure out to add a uv map for each part of my model. could some please give me instructions how?

2. Fordy

Fordy Member

Apply an editmesh and select the polys on your mode you want to unwrap then apply an UnwrapUVW and use whatever method is apropriate for the bit of your model is being unwrapped. Then add a EditUVW modifier & edit the UV's.

You can do this for each part of the model, say keeping, arms, legs, head, body seperate. Thne when you want to combine them all into 1, just add another editmesh & select all polys & EditUVW.

Scuse me if I got any of the modifier names wrong, im working from memory here.

3. ScrollMaster

??
    So I assign each part of my poly with the Materal ID to which I want it textured with.
    I apply a UVW Unwrap for each part I want? and if I were to have 4 ID's for UVW Unwrap? how do I configure each part of the map for each part? with MapChannel? after I texporter out each UVW Unwrap of each part how do I apply the bitmap back on my object? go to the Material Libary and select a materail apply the bitmap but how do I get it to go and wrap on that spefic part because it doesnt, I know exactly how to Texture a model with one uvw unwrap but how do I do more than one?

4. usagi

usagi New Member

heres what i do; detach the parts i want separate, map them like i normally would and then reattach them later in edit poly (or edit mesh) after ive mapped everything. i thiknk that fordy means you select the faces of what you would want to map separately before going to uv edit, so you could try that too.

hope that helps

5. ScrollMaster

Im never going to get it to work :(

6. ScrollMaster

This is driving me insane I cant figure it out... does anyone have very specific instructions ohn how this coan be done?

7. usagi

usagi New Member

what part specifically are you having trouble with?

8. ScrollMaster

when I put it on to a material and drag it to the object the texture doesnt align to the uv map

9. usagi

usagi New Member

im kinda confuse about what you mean, maybe its just something as simple as selecting only the faces that you want when you apply that map.

i dont know whatstage youre at, have you used a uv modifier to map out the uvs yet? because thats what i thought at teh start of this thread but now it seems that youve done this already.

10. ScrollMaster

well what I wanted to do Doesnt work.... but here is what I mean when I say it doesnt work

I have my Mesh, I assigned them all different Material Id's according to what Im going to texture them as. I add a UVW Map. and then I layout the the skins for it paint it, I create a materail with subobject and then apply the bitmap to the texture and drag it on the applied area... it goes on perfect. I drop down back the the EditMesh modeifier and the UVW MAP I just recently had if I select any other polys then the UVW Map unsticks and doesnt apply properly....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cant even apply a secound UVW Map because it messes up... please someone help me so I can make some progress :(

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  11. usagi

usagi New Member

ok, i think i know whats wrong. instead of going back to edit mesh in the stack, right click and convert the whole thing to edit mesh (actually edit poly is much easier than edit mesh, but either way...). you wont get that crazy error and you can add a uvw modifer later to edit the uvs further

12. ScrollMaster

but after I added a secound editmesh and tried apply a secound UVW Wrap I got the same Affect?

13. Fordy

Fordy Member

Usagi: Post a zipped version of your character model with exact instructions on how to recreate the problem. Im sure we can help more if we can see exactly whats up ourselves.

14. ScrollMaster

no Need it has been Solved! Hurray!

Its was
    Add Mesh Select then UVW MAP then a UWVUnwrap, Ive looked at tutorials and they were all unclear, I was fortunate enough to have a member from the 3d total forums add me and we looked at the problem and founf the solution, I going to create a tutorial so that no one ever has to go through that