3dsMax 4 to v8, what happend to the Outline setting?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
You’ll need to see the image to understand this:
I’ve also attached the .max file to show what I mean.

Making a chair out of a cube

In my Max4.0 fundamentals book, first they tell you to extrude the polygons in the part of the seat where you sit and the back panel. That’s no problem
However: Then they tell you to enter a value into the field titled (Outline)
This makes a small bevel along the edges of the inner and outer line segments that divides the little cubes that makes up the back and sitting area of the chair.

This was possible in 3dsMax4 and I think 5 I guess, but where is it in version 8? I have no problems extruding the square polygons upwards, but the out line field in Max8 only extrudes the edges and doses Not put the gapes on the inner block segments like shown in the image.

How do I do this now?

Attachments

• seattt.jpg
    seattt.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 15
  • LessonFile.zip
    16.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Note: to do this correct,
Make sure you select "By Group" in the Extrude diolog box and Not by Polygon or you’ll get the ugly results in the second image when you go to apply Nurms.
However when extruding the center part of the seat, you’ll want to switch
and use (By Polygon)

Attachments

• correct.gif
    correct.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 16
  • wrong.gif
    wrong.gif
    73 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: