1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

3ds Max, Multi sub/object and Map channels

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by Starstreams, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

Not clear on something with map channels:
    In a Multi Sub/object material where you have different materials assigned to different ID’s: If you want to move/rotate a texture, It seems I always need to add a mesh select for every UVW map modifier in order for them to work.

So then what are the map channels for if your able to move the textures by assigning UVW’s to each poly with a mesh select under it?

Don’t the map channels prevent you from needing to use a bunch of UVW map modifiers and cluttering up the stack? I have read the manual 50 times and I don't get the difference or advantage of channels?

Do you really need a mesh select modifier to be able to move each individual texture on the object with a UVW map modifier?

Attached Files:

2. Hourences

Hourences New Member

you really should NOT use channels for this type of thing but use the unwrap modifier or indeed multiple edit mesh/poly or mesh select modifiers in combination with multiple uvw maps just like you are doing
    Thats correct, using channels for this is not at all.

Channels are UV sets and are supported by Unreal Engine 2 but only for specific stuff or advanced things, you dont want to do this on everything or basic models like this
    UV sets enables you to give the same face multiple uv coordinates and then let a texture use that, an example would be macrotexturing where the primary uv channel does the diffuse texturing and the second one determines the macrotexture size
    Or for example lightmap does the same, primary uv set runs the diffuse and regular texturing and on top of that is a second set/channel running different coordinates to apply the lightmap to it

3. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

I see, very good explanation with both of your examples,
    Thank you Hourences!

I can tell by the way you explain things that you know your stuff.
    Again, thanks so much for this information!