1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[3ds max]editable poly or editable mesh?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by P4p3Rc1iP, Jan 3, 2004.

1. P4p3Rc1iP

P4p3Rc1iP Unreal Speed Member :)

this may be a stupid question, but what is the real difference between those two? i've heard that editable poly is more powerfull than editable mesh, but what is the real difference. i only see a little change in the interface :confused:

2. Atog007

Atog007 New Member

Since 3dsmax 5, the edit poly mode bring modelling features that editable mesh haven't (fast tools to work on edgeloops (rings and loops selection, connect tool, etc), and other goodies like "extrude along path" that can save time, it's like the Meshtool script but integrated in max, and in poly the soft think in polygons (n-sided) and not in tris (in poly mode, the polygon counter count the POLYGON and not the tris).
    i hope i've answered to your question =)

3. JackReacher

JackReacher [SAS Mod]

Yeah, remember to switch back to mesh, when you want to get a true face count though, sometimes the poly count you are given can be up to half of what the actual face count is.

4. Atog007

Atog007 New Member

yes JR, it's true, but you can avoid this problem putting a edit mesh at the top of the stack and toggling the end result, if you do that, you'll be able to see the true tris count, you can also download a macroscript (like this one > http://www.juantwo.com/scripts/Macro_PolyCounter.zip ) and assign it a key, it will count the true tris number on editable poly ;)