1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

3D Ripper DX

Discussion in 'General' started by NeoNautica, Jan 5, 2009.

1. NeoNautica

NeoNautica Level Designer

A friend showed me this cool app that can pull whatever is drawn on screen and dump it in a 3D file that can be opened in max/maya:

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Been using it too look at the cars in GRID and will probably get Burnout for PC to look at their cars. Awesome tool for learning how stuff was made in a PC game :)

2. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

What? That sounds ridiculously unreal.
    I'll check if I can find a video example of it though.

3. NeoNautica

Basically what it is doing is exporting the frame buffer to a special 3D format. Its really fun to play with and see how people make their games :)

4. NeoNautica

Downloaded the burnout PC demo and ripped out the demo car... might have to get the full game to study the other cars :)

Roughly 18,000 triangles:

[​IMG]

I can post the max file if anyone is interested in studying it.

5. stevenhorton

stevenhorton Not of this World

What kind of car is that supposed to be? The front is Pontiac, but the roof looks just like early seventies Cuda. I would guess a quarter or more of those polys are in the front grill:p

6. 69Painkiller69

69Painkiller69 New Member

Hey, I'm interested! I wanna import it in TM.
    Can you give it to me please? I've got 3ds max 2009, so I can't import .3dr files...
    Thanks
    Cya