1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

3D Lawsuit Extends To Hardware Manufacturers

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Nov 4, 2004.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Continuing to follow GameDAILY's 3D Lawsuit Names Top Publishers story: It seems that the law firm McKool Smith has now named hardware manufacturers HP, Dell, IBM, Toshiba, SCEA, Acer, MPC, Systemax, Fujitsu, Micro Electronics, Matsushita, Averatec, Polywell, Sharp, Twinhead, Uniwill, and JVC in an ever-growing extension of it's patent lawsuit. The complaint asserts that the named parties infringed upon the following:

patent 4,730,185 entitled "Graphics Display Methods and Apparatus for Color Dithering"
    patent 5,132,670 entitled "System for Improving Two-Color Display Operations"
    patent 5,109,520 entitled "Image Frame Buffer Access Speedup By Providing Multiple Buffer Controls Each Containing Command FIFO Buffers"
    patent 4,742,474 entitled "Variable Access Frame Buffer Memory"
    patent 4,694,286 entitled "Apparatus and Method for Modifying Displayed Color Images"
    patent 4,761,642 entitled "System for Providing Data Communication Between a Computer Terminal and a Polarity of Concurrent Processes Running on a Multiple Process Computer"

Or, virtually anything PC-related.
    On a related note, I have patented Oxygen and consonants.

2. Plouj

Plouj New Member

Good thing no one patented knoppix. Oh wait, its free.

I patent jokes.

3. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Everyone over at McUnKool Smith needs a swift kick in the nuts. Thrice.

4. JonAzz

JonAzz UA Mapper

bitch I patented it years ago! :lol: I'm sueing your ass, and while I'm at it I'll sue you for useing water since I also invented that. o and I've now remaned consonants to yabahaloo, and patented it also... hrmm.... now to go see if I can sue anyone for useing words I patented in the dictionary...

o wait the dictionary is already patented... damn I can't use it then! :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I'm sorry but this is very very sad :(
    next they're going to sue nVidia and ATI becuase they're violating something... like perhaps just being there O_O

since when can people just go around and say that they patented this, your useing it, therefore I will sue you till you come crying to me with money!

I hope this blows over it will soon be illagel to log onto the internet... o_O

btw I also patented the overuse of smilies patent... :wavey: :shock:

5. Plouj

Plouj New Member

I just CAN'T wait to see what happens with all this BS. At such proportions, anything can :)

6. TaoPaiPai

TaoPaiPai Commisaire Van Loc

Well they should extend the lawsuit to all individual possessors of personal computers since they are also using hardware and software in total violation of the patent.

7. Plouj

Plouj New Member

but there must be computers involved in the process...

8. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Dont these people realize that they will totally destroy the gaming, PC, and pretty much the entire electronics industry if they wont this lawsuit? It should be obvious to even a grade-school dropout that this is all about getting a cut of all electronics sales everywhere, not about truth and justice. Notice how they seemed to wait until just before the end of their allowable time period to file the suit? That can't be a coincidence.

On a related note, there is a patent on the logic methodology used to form this post. Violators will be proseuted.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  9. Blaaguuu

Blaaguuu taunt pthrust

God bless America.

:(

10. 1338

1338 Beyond 1337

Such big-name companies as HP, Dell, IBM, and Toshiba will throw lots of money at them to try and settle out of court. That's exactly what these people want.

11. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Let's all send an e-mail and ask Electronic Arts, Take-Two Interactive, Ubisoft, Activision, Atari, THQ, Vivendi Universal Games, Sega, Square Enix, Tecmo, LucasArts, Namco Hometek, HP, Dell, IBM, Toshiba, SCEA, Acer, MPC, Systemax, Fujitsu, Micro Electronics, Matsushita, Averatec, Polywell, Sharp, Twinhead, Uniwill and JVC to buy out McKool Smith so they can throw these claims in the bin. I'd bet that the gaming public is willing to chip in too :D .

P.S: BuF has a pretty advanced censoring system :p .

12. JonAzz

JonAzz UA Mapper

most likely...

can we get an exact address of where this law firm is... don't ask questions, I just need an address :p

13. MachDelta

MachDelta Haphazard Nobody

Actually, i'd hope that many big name companies would throw their money at a big bad group of baby-eating, ass-kicking, nut-stomping, foaming-at-the-mouth rabid lawyers. Have em beat McSuck Stupidface into a legal coma.

14. 1338

1338 Beyond 1337

Er, well, that could work too. :p

15. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

That won't work ... to be placed in a coma you need to have a brain first .... ;)

I think I'll patent stupid & useless lawsuits and then I'll patent methods of wasting valuable time.

16. MÆST

MÆST Active Member

All you are infringing on my patent of the English language. My lawyers will be contacting you shortly.

17. Blaaguuu

Blaaguuu taunt pthrust

from this day forward, i shall replace all words synonimous with "stupid" in my vocabulary with... "McKool"

18. Fordy

Fordy Member

Dont worry all this will probably never make it court, only thing it might destroy is that stupid law firms reputation.

(Ummm do law firms have actually have reputations to destroy?)

19. FluXs

FluXs old skool

I think you will find the British got there first :p

LOL, i bet i can see these companies sitting in an office and when they get this letter saying WTF and throwing it in the bin.

Maybe they are hoping McKool will be bought out for a trillian pounds.

I wonder if anyone has patented the idea of patenting stuff, oh wait McKool already have, but it runs out next year

20. Anoni Mouse

Anoni Mouse Guest

you could always tell them how you feel.....there contacts page is here

http://www.mckoolsmith.com/contactus.html

...one thing, have this law company given any thought to there next IT system purchases. can't see meny companies wanting to supply them after this..........