1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

3 little questions

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by Kantham, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

about maya , i have 3 questions

1st- how i can convert , or can i , convert Nurbs to Polygon?
    2nd- where i can find the 2d shape editor?
    3th- how i can export the collison on my meshes when i export them whit the unreal tournament plugin for maya

2. Vailias

Vailias New Member

1.) go Modfy->Convert->NURBS to Polygons
    2.) Only 2d shape editor I know of is in Unreal ED. Though I forget where it is as I am not much of a Level designer. Check http://udn.epicgames.com and search for 2d shape editor and it will turn up something.
    3.) For skeletal meshes you can't. They must be setup within unreal ed's animation browser as boxes or spheres. Otherwise the engine will just use a best-fit cylender

for static meshes you can use a second model with the naming convention of
    MCMDX_yourname
    to create karma convex mesh collision data on import. again referance http://udn.epicgames.com and look for karma collision referance.

3. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

thanks a lot , you save my life

i was refering to the 2d shape of maya , i know how to use the one in UED

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  4. chip

chip New Member

be cautious converting NURBS to polys -- Maya's tool isn't particularly geared toward game-model polycount production, and you can end up with a great many extra polys to weed out. while there are poly-reduction tools as well, they often require a lot of hand-cleanup afterward. i've found that starting with polygon modeling from the beginning ends up being a lot more efficient.

just a couple of cents of imho.

5. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

ok , but then

how i can learn polygon if i can only learn about Nurbs when i search tutorials ....?

6. chip

chip New Member

the move to polys from NURBS isn't that hard -- similar tool functions, but you deal with different object components, basically just vertices, edges and faces. while tutorial & help files are good resources, nothing really beats just jumping into the interface and playin around a bit with the tools.