1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

2k4-Assigning skeleton model? Default skeleton. (For Ion canon hits/lava death etc.)

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by JohnnySix, Dec 14, 2005.

1. JohnnySix

JohnnySix Caffienated Haemoglobin

I've been rooting through the forums , the wiki, google and polycount trying to find anything on it, but as yet have found nothing .

So I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it?

I've got a model finished and working as far as custom gibs, sounds etc is working, but I can't for the life of me find out where the skeleton model is referenced (the one that appears if you're hit with the Ion Cannon, Link gun, Lava or other skin-flaying weapons).

Anyone know where I need to look and what I need to change in order to create one? I'm only using milkshape so creating new animations/ragdoll skeletons is impossible, hence me using the existing Jugg female skeleton . :D

2. CheapAlert

CheapAlert ONSLOTFEST '94 FOREVER

it's defined by species iirc

so for example if you want a cat skeleton, you'll have to make a cat species.

3. JohnnySix

w00t..

Well, I've not actually tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure it should work!

I was subclassing "bot" which I forgot is the only species (other than cybernetic) not to actually use a skeleton. :rolleyes:

So the lines I was missing in the code were...

Code:
         FemaleSkeleton="Aliens.Skeleton_Alien"
         MaleSkeleton="Aliens.Skeleton_Alien"

Obviously I just need to replace these with the skeleton of my character and this should be solved! :D

Thanks Cheap Alert!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  4. Slyrr77

Slyrr77 New Member

Actually, it doesn't even have to be that complicated. You can make it simple. When I did the deinonychus model, I went ahead and created a custom model file to be it's skeleton so it turns to bones when you get fried or ion cannoned.

If you have a custom model, (for this example, it's the deinonychus) you save the model package with it's custom name.

Then for the disintigration model, (for the deinonychus, it's called 'rapskel' for 'raptor skeleton') you pull it in and assign this mesh to the same package. You link it to the same animations and save it. Both models will now be part of the same animation/model package. (the UKX file)

All you have to do then is open your custom model's UPL file. On the last line, you'll see among the other text, this:

Voice=RaptorVoice.RaptorVoice,Sex=male,Menu="SP",
    Aggressiveness=+0.5,CombatStyle=+0.6,FavoriteWeapon=xWeapons.LinkGun,
    Ragdoll=raptor,Skeleton=Raptor.rapskel,BotUse=1)

It's the line "Skeleton=" that you must get to point to the right file. In the deinonychus' case, it points to the RAPTOR .ukx file, then within that package it points to the mesh RAPSKEL. Hence, Skeleton=Raptor.rapskel

However, you don't HAVE to make a skelton model and bundle it up into your custom model package. All you have to do is leave your package as is and point the UPL file text to your regular model. If I didn't want the skeleton, I'd use the regular raptor mesh and the line would read "Skeleton=Raptor.raptor"

Most custom models have "Skeleton=none" or they don't have this line at all. When that happens, you get weirdness like the game crashing when your model gets into a situation where he's disintigrated because the game is looking for another mesh to use for the disintigration and it can't find it. It also makes it so your dead body doesn't 'gib' and in insta-gib matches, your body just ragdolls and flops around without any blood or chunky kibbles, even if you get hit by a redeemer.

This is all becuase when you disintigrate in the game, then UT2004 is programmed to 'remove' your player model and instantly replace it with the disinitgration death model. It happens so fast the eye doesn't notice, but when you get killed with ion cannons or the alt-link gun, your model instantly vanishes and is replaced by a skeleton model, which then ragdolls. You get the illusion that all the flesh was instantly fried off your model and nothing is left but bones.

But if you assign your UPL in the custom model to use the SAME model as the custom model itself, you can have gibs and such without the hassle of a custom 'species' file and the on-line punkbuster woes it always seems to create. But you won't get a skeletal death. The game will just take your custom model and instantly replace it with an exact copy of that same model. Visually, there won't be any difference.

But if you want a custom skeleton too, then you'll have to create one, link it to the same skeleton and hook that mesh up into the same package as the main model.

Hope that helps,
    Slyrr

5. JohnnySix

Hmmm, I'd not assigned it to the animation - I'd better do that then. It seems to work without so far, but somtimes tends to spawn in the ground or not spawn at all.

Here is a screenshot of it working.

Attached Files:

6. Mr. UglyPants

Mr. UglyPants 2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

Just asking but WTF is that!

7. JohnnySix

Dagron -- >:[]

BTW Slyrr77 - Thanks again for the help - you could pretty much post that reply as a tutorial on the wiki - I'm sure it'll help others a great deal, especially those who might not know how to or want to be compiling any new code. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005