2016 Presidential Primaries

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Starts today with Iowa! If you live in Iowa, go out and vote! If you're a political nerd like I am, today is a hype day in politics. What are your predictions for Iowa?

I'm going with Bernie Sanders to win on the Democratic side and Donald Trump to win on the Republican side.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Aiwiknn.gif

xSeiRu0.jpg

Reactions: Big-Al

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think Cruz would make a marginally better President than Trump but I still don't like him.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Same. ^

Welp, my predictions suck. Although, as a Bernie supporter, a virtual tie with Hillary is better than a loss.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I'm loving my choices:
  • Trump, by far the most popular Republican, who legitimately wants to round up all foreigners.
  • Clinton, the lying robot banker who wants to stomp on the faces of poor people, forever.
  • Sanders, who also enjoys murdering foreigners but with drones. Oh, and he wants to ban virtually all modern firearms, including the ones we may need to oppose President Trump’s Operation Concentration Camp.
I'm moving to Madagascar and starting my own government in the countryside. Here are the laws:
  • We all work to produce enough food, clothing, and shelter for everyone.
  • Don't be a dick to people on purpose.
  • Whatever you want to do after that is up to you. Drugs, prostitution, Christianity, whatever. Enjoy.

Reactions: Sir_Brizz

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yet, somehow, Sanders' state Vermont has the most lax gun laws of all of the states. The only thing they really disallow are zip guns, which are generally just as much a danger to the user as the people around the user.

The main problems with the current approach to gun control
A.) Doesn't target mental health reform and improved accessibility to help for mental disorders
B.) Doesn't target illicit trafficking of de-serialized weaponry

Reactions: Al

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If you can use your fingerprint to unlock your phone, the same technology should be available to unlock your gun.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm trying to imagine a way to address this without invoking magic or perfect nationwide surveillance.

I mean, there's not really a 'quick' or 'perfect' way to go about it, but making sure that firearms don't get de-serialized in the first place may be a good way of going about it. Holding gun store owners and those that trade the weapons to a higher standard and with greater scrutiny will probably be the first step to reducing the amount that gets into illicit trade and circulation. It's the private purchases that are the major issue, though. Hard to detect, hard to trace, and hard to prevent. For some people, this is a great way to make a living, and so they're vehemently opposed to any changes in regulation that prevent such private transactions from taking place. There's got to be a way to make it harder for these weapons to get into illegal circulation.

I've fired weapons before, been trained to fire them correctly, how to clean them, and that kind of responsibility and presence of danger isn't always apparent to those in emotional distress, those with children, those in the drug trade, and so on. There are multiple ways to go about this, but ending prohibition may go a long way in reducing drug-related violence and shootings as well. Treating addiction as a public health issue and not as a criminal act may reduce the level of violence that is perpetrated. Mental health support will also go a long way in preventing shootings like the Sandy Hook shooting. That kid was clearly unstable and disturbed to begin with.

If you can use your fingerprint to unlock your phone, the same technology should be available to unlock your gun.

You're more likely to get killed by your own kid if you have a firearm in your household than you are of other threats, so I'm going to go ahead and agree with Al on this one. Gun control can be more lax if society's perception of weapons changes towards responsibility, but we've got too many goddamn idiots, sociopaths and psychopaths in this country.

On one hand, Chicago has some of the tightest restrictions on gun control, but one of the highest murder rates in the country using illegally acquired firearms. Chicago historically also has some of the greatest income disparity in the country as well. Cities with high income disparity are also disproportionately violent. The guns obtained in Chicago are typically passed around from family member to family member, but typically make their way in from Indiana. It's not the online stores, the gun shows, but private sellers that are allowing weapons to circulate into trade and lose the paper trail, making their way into the hands of criminals.

I've gone hunting. You don't need a 20-round drum mag on a semi-automatic shotgun to go hunting. You don't need a 30 round mag .223 semi-auto rifle to go hunting either. Something like that's either for fun or for murder, not home defense or hunting.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I mean, there's not really a 'quick' or 'perfect' way to go about it, but making sure that firearms don't get de-serialized in the first place may be a good way of going about it. Holding gun store owners and those that trade the weapons to a higher standard and with greater scrutiny will probably be the first step to reducing the amount that gets into illicit trade and circulation.

It sounds like you're saying that gun stores carry deserialized guns, which would be news to me. If I wanted a gun without a serial number I'd just take a file to the serial number on literally any gun. How we'd prevent this is a mystery to me, and I'm not sure it would solve any significant problem anyway. Is there an epidemic of unsolved murders due to defaced serial numbers on guns?

This is really the crux of a lot of my issues with proposed gun control measures. I can easily understand how it inconveniences me—in the case of "smart gun" technology like fingerprint unlock, it renders the firearm slow to bring into action and undependable, and therefore ultimately useless—but I don't understand how it genuinely stops anyone from committing a crime. It's DRM all over again.

I've gone hunting. You don't need a 20-round stick mag on a semi-automatic shotgun to go hunting. You don't need a 30 round mag .223 semi-auto rifle to go hunting either. Something like that's either for fun or for murder.

I've never been hunting before, so I couldn't say what is or isn't needed for that. But I've done plenty of tactical training with former police and military using pistols and rifles, and I can tell you for certain that you need all those features plus more to be as effective as possible in a gunfight—I'd say you also need a sling, a red dot sight, and a weapon-mounted light. I don't know how to make a gun that's good for defense but useless for crime, and it doesn't seem anyone else does either. But instead of accepting our inability, it seems that many people want to push ahead with clearly unworkable solutions and simply pretend they work. Again, see DRM.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
You didn't say it outright, which is why I said "It sounds like you're saying" rather than "You said".

Specifically, you appeared to be offering "Holding gun store owners [...] to a higher standard" as a method of "reducing the amount that gets into illicit trade and circulation".