1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

2010 Unreal Engine 3 Trailer + November UDK

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Nov 24, 2010.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Today Epic Games released a nice new trailer for the latest version of UE3. Here's what you can do with it:

Hand in hand with the new trailer comes November version of UDK, which you can get here. New UDK release now includes the level shown in the trailer, as well as lots of other changes, which you can check in release notes.

2. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Simply put: breathtaking. Epic should make Unreal 3 with this technology.
    Can you imagine exiting the vortex rikers into Napali during a raging thunderstorm (or the aftermath).

3. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

Looks awesome.

Now if only the Unreal Remake community project was still going on. :(

4. Spiney

Spiney New Member

Improved DOF, yay!
    In the older UE3 games the DOF always looks cheap I think...

5. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Simply Meraviglioso.
    Great job once again, Epic :tup:

6. PsyXandeR

PsyXandeR Member

My pants are all wet now.

7. Fluorescence

Fluorescence New Member

Completely stunned by this.

8. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

What a terrible video. The features are awesome, but the video is terrible.
    ****ing DOF and desaturation everywhere. It looks like someone vomited over my screen.

9. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Were you out drinking all last night? ;)

10. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

I do not drink. I genuinely think this video is terrible. I can't see anything at all except brown and gray and blurry.
    I love the improvements they make to the engine but for gods sake my monitor is a 32bit color display. Use more than two of those four billions +. And I shouldn't need a pair of "Unreal Glasses" to see clearly what is in the video.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  11. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I have bad eyes and the video looked fine to me.

Maybe you're thinking of the focusing samples they did to show off the cinematic features.

12. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Look I'm not gonna argue this. It's my opinion that's all.
    I know the flower close ups are to illustrate the higher quality DOF. But the effect remains and is visible at like 50meters after, in each subsequent scene. That's not natural and it hurts the eye which naturally tend to focus toward the infinite distance. Maybe it's that white fog all over the place, I don't care I didn't like it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  13. ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade RuneStorm developer

Looks amazing! Can't wait to get into all this :)

The engine can obviously render any colours you want, but the Colour Grading and such is there to illustrate the features.

Thanks Epic, for allowing us hapless developers this power :)

14. Spiney

Spiney New Member

15. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

I dunno, there's just something jarring about the Unreal tech these days that just doesn't sit right with me.
    The dreamy net curtain bubblegum look to everything is starting to get on my nerves a bit as well.
    If I had to nail it down, it's probably the way meshes receive light and the colour pallet seems out of whack and always desaturated looking.
    Depth of field and overuse of bloom just makes a mess of everything around you.
    Tons of other things that just bug me but as an editor for building stuff, it's unrivalled.

16. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

Darkdrium, I was just poking fun. I agree with you a bit and I think Lruce hits it on the nose in the above quote.

Distant fog really begins to bother me too. I know it's there for performance and that it occurs in real life, but it still feels weird and makes things TOO, how do I say it, real? (aka boring).

I think I really liked Far Cry 1 so much because you could see pretty much as far as you wanted and it looked AWESOME! Everything looked so vibrant and fantastic.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  17. ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade RuneStorm developer

The engine obviously doesn't have to be desaturated, or make "full" use of Bloom, Post Processing and DoF effects, or they can be used correctly. It's just the way the maps are designed that looks odd.

It's UDK after all, if something bothers you, make it look different :p

18. Spiney

Spiney New Member

It's all in the post processing.
    Since it's a deferred renderer everyone thinks they should postFX the hell out of it.
    Look at Infinity Blade, it's on iPhone and cannot afford having 4 layers of post processing. It looks a lot more clean imho.

When I was playing Arkham Asylum the first thing I did was to disable the bloom and DOF because I thought it was everything making look muddy and garish.
    I noticed that UE3 games tend to rely on the post processing to boost the voluminous look of the scenes.
    I've never been a fan of these effects. Bloom almost always looks artificial because it is not applied selectively enough. Well placed coronas / glow particles actually work better imo.
    Good depth of field is difficult to do without using multiple passes. In most UE3 games I played it looks like a cheap z buffer trick. Like a blurred version of the frame layed on top of the unblurred frame, but the edges do not get blurred as would happen with a real lens - this looks a lot better in the video though. SSAO looks cheap - to be honest I've seen very little good SSAO, it makes the lighting look muddy and artifacted most of the time. Ambient occlusion can enhance realism, but most of current implementations are simply too hacky and fake looking.

Another thing is the overemphasis on the localized detail, such as the normal maps. In a typical daylight scene you would have a lot of bounce lights which flatten out the appearance of such detail. However it seems like UE games do their best to make it stand out as much as possible.
    Another thing is using too much specularity on everything. More variety in specular falloff and color would also help with representing different materials.
    Most people consider CryEngine 3 to be one of the best engines graphics wise, and it uses post processing very sparingly and also does not overemphasise localized detail so much.

19. cosmix

cosmix XoXo

20. Sarevok

Sarevok ...

Kanthamz?! u madz at vidoe gamz again?! loolol11!!
    Anyways Epic get to work on Unreal 3!