1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

2 steps forward with the tank...but one back!

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by StoopidKwestion, Oct 2, 2004.

1. StoopidKwestion

StoopidKwestion New Member

Managed to get to the bottom of the texture problems I had with the tank, plus the tracks now rotate the correct way! All down to careless typing and not keeping TIGHT control over my package names!

Now...I have started work on the weapon systems.

I have a flamer for the bow gun, heavy MG's for the sponsons, and a big cannon for the turret. Most of this is going well, since the code is largely based on stock weapons with a bit of tweaking.

One thing which is NOT going well is the turret. Turn left....and the turret swings RIGHT :(

Not sure what is controlling this. I had a wrongly set pivot on the turret, but I fixed that and it still does it!

2. Vailias

Vailias New Member

you sure the axis is correct? if the turret bone's local rotation axis (specifically the z axis) is inverted then it will turn the wrong way.

3. StoopidKwestion

StoopidKwestion New Member

Odd... I fixed it .... but I don't know why what I had before didn't work, and why it does now... but here goes :

I looked again at the mesh in Max, and verified that the axis was correct, aligned with everythng else, and generally OK. It looked fine. All the axis arrows were pointing where they should. It still failed to work right.

so... I looked at the bones in Ued...and instead of just showing the bones, the root bone of the turret had a PINK LINE running from it to the 0,0,0 point. Never seen this before...and it shouldn't be there, as far as I can tell. What was also absent, was the x,y,z indicator on the root bone. All the others showed it..but not that one.

so... I went back into Max, and added a dummy object sitting at the origin. I linked this the the turret root bone, so the turret was a child object of the dummy. The attachment point in the code remained the turret root bone. This worked fine....though, for some reason, the turret starts out pointing BACKWARDS and rotates forward into the correct position when you man the turret. ( I moved it to be a passenger weapon...but AFTER I got the gun working )

I would love to know why it is doing what it is doing....

As an aside... I have now installed the bow flamegun, which is working on code designed by Mr Evil for his weapons of evil flamethrower. It makes for a fairly useless weapon....but it looks great :) It only really serves for frying pedestrians :D