1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

2.9: No sound under Mac OS 9

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nanodragon, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Nanodragon

Nanodragon I love you Lord Daftwager

Certain weapons (The AKMSU and the MINIMI) don't produce any firing sound under os9. I've tested every possible setting and both available soundsystems all to no avail.
    The machine I'm running it on is a g3/333 on which everything else runs flawlessly (except for those weapons sounds)....

any suggestions?

2. Nanodragon

I just realized it's labeled "known issue" in the manual, but does that mean it's ever going to be fixed?

Inf mac dev. I'd appreciate an answer :)

3. sublime

sublime Cynic

Blame westlake and their horrible Mac port unfortunately. It's better under OSX with the unofficial port I'm told, but under OS9 the Mac version of UT has a limited number of sound "slots" and infiltration uses too many of them so some sounds don't get played. At least I think that's what I remember. Sorry.

4. -RoMe-infers

-RoMe-infers New Member

Nanodragon, as i have myself a G3/450, iand i dont have 2,9 yet, i would like to know if it is playable with the framerate... how much FPS do you get on medium map? offline? online? etc.. etc.. ill stay in touch with you as we surely are the ones who have the oldest computers of all the community.. it makes me like you :))..

5. -RoMe-infers

-RoMe-infers New Member

oh and yes, maybe you should try to put higher channels in the sound place in the INI file..

6. [SOB]bAd ChIcKeN

[SOB]bAd ChIcKeN Free-Range Pain the Ass

Tried that in Testing, the problem isnt the amount of channels as the amount of slots avaible for the sounds to reside in. Also the Famas with silencer wont work either. Thats why I am loving OS X, to hear more than shells hitting the ground when the minimi is around is gold.

7. Nanodragon

heh it's really amazing those machines still run any game whatsoever :lol:

Since there's a Voodoo5 in my g3/333 INF runs pretty well (except for hosting) because UT is made for Glide rendering, so if you have an ATI or Nvidia card it won't run as smoothly, but probably still playable...but I have to tell you, I'm used to bad fps so you might now feel the same way

As for the sound problem, it's a bug that obviously can't be eliminated in OS9 so you'll have to live with it or spend some serious $ on a new machine
    :cheers:

Have fun playing inf....it's worth every second

8. Tycho Maudd

Tycho Maudd New Member

I can't seem to get INF to run very well at all with my voodoo 5 on my g4/867. (I'm only getting 15-25 fps online) What settings do you use?

9. -RoMe-infers

-RoMe-infers New Member

oh well, when offline, i get an average 8 FPS.. some may laugh, some may cry... it make me cry and laugh at the same time.... :( :lol: :( :lol:.... i am really considering to upgrade in about 5 years :rolleyes: ... so............. i'll be patient..... and play inf................... whatever fps i get.. think bots are going to become my good friends :/.........

10. -RoMe-infers

-RoMe-infers New Member

one more thing:
    i dont have sound on:
    -the minimi
    -Sig
    -P90!!!!
    -AKMSU

*-the famas with silencer works well.. without sil. too

i dont even want to try INF on OSX cuz FPS would be under 0! yea, its possible, it made me go back in virtual time :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  11. Tycho Maudd

Tycho Maudd New Member

I find that INF 2.9 is faster under OSX with my GF2 then under OS9 with my voodoo 5, which doesn't make any sense.

12. deagol

deagol New Member

well..

going out on a limb, is there any possible way to edit what sound files to lose? i'd rather hear the minimi than a knife slash if you know what i mean...

i think we're gonna be getting a new computer soon ::secretly cuts wires in the motherboard::

13. Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger [UMC]Shadow

would deleting useless sounds like claymore wires, knife slashing let us hear weapon sounds? It ruins the game when we can't hear people firing at us.

14. [SOB]bAd ChIcKeN

[SOB]bAd ChIcKeN Free-Range Pain the Ass

I know guys, but this sound issue is a Westlake problem/UT problem NOT INF. There is no way to "re-assign" sound slots that I know of. Your best bet I am sorry is to upgrade to OSX and a new comp to boot, or if strapped for cash buy a PC. I never thought I would tell folks to buy a PC but hey it will fix your trouble at half the cost of a new Mac. Drove me crazy as a tester, I was telling Beppo every week about the sound issues in OS 9, then I switched to OS X and WOW all the sounds worked.

15. Krycek360

Krycek360 New Member

-RoMe- my computer is way older then yours 250mhz 604e or 8600/250

16. horstel

horstel New Member

The later Tactical ops builds had the same problem, here is what you could do in TO to replace weapon sounds that didn't work in OS 9 with different sounds:

quote: (Courtesy of Santaduck)

Found here .

Re: *Can't hear m60, m16, hksmg2, and raging bull (although bullet-impact sounds are still present).

2) Otherwise, you can do this, which isn't perfect, but it works:

As a stopgap measure replace these sounds on your end with the sounds of other guns. That way it's not totally silent if someone is shooting at you with one of these guns.

I have a bind that i can press whenever i start up my application:

j= set to_m60 firesound Sound'TODatas.Weapons.PSG1fire'| set to_ragingbull firesound Sound'TODatas.Weapons.deagle_Fire1' | set to_hksmg2 firesound Sound'TODatas.Weapons.mp5silenced' | set to_m16 firesound Sound'TODatas.Weapons.hk33fire'

NOTE: you MUST start a single player game, then press this bind, then go through each of these guns and shoot them once. Then you can go to multiplayer games, and the sounds will stay.

It sets the m60 with the same firesound as the psg90, bull the same as DE, mac10 same as silenced mp5, and m16 same as hk33. *If you want other guns' firesounds, do
    admin get s_swat.(WEAPONCODE) firesound

The same procedure might work in INF, if you can find the terms for the individual weapon sounds, maybe they can be found in some .ini file, or one of the developers might help us out here.
    As I haven't installed the game yet (I'm away from my desktop machine for some time) , I can't try by myself.

It worked like a charm in TO, having the wrong weapon sound is still way better than having none, imho.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  17. ZIRB

ZIRB Inhuman

If the horrible sound-problem could be fixed this way it would be great. If it possible to bind it perhaps it possible to type something directly into the ini-file that load on startup?

The sound-errors for me concern the minimi, Sig, P90 and AKMSU.

18. Beppo

Beppo Infiltration Lead-Programmer

ok, if this list helps ya out...

The weapon classes (all in package INF_Core):
    the following are all based on the class INFc_Weapon ... so you can set them with one SET command instead of setting up all of them seperately:
    Code:
    INFc_AKMSU, INFc_DE50, INFc_FAMAS, INFc_FSVEN, INFc_HK69,
     INFc_KaBar, INFc_M1S90, INFc_M2HB, INFc_M16, INFc_M16M203,
     INFc_M92F, INFc_Minimi, INFc_Mk23, INFc_MP540, INFc_P90, INFc_PSG,
     INFc_RC50, INFc_SIG551
    special:
    INFc_M67Body, INFc_40mmGrenade
    the variables for the distance sounds:
    Code:
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_762x39'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_762x39'
    another version
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_556x45'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_556x45'
    and another
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_762x51'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_762x51'
    and...
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_57x28'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_57x28'
    and...
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_9x19'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_9x19'
    and...
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_M3'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_M3'
    and...
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_40mm'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_40mm'
    special:
    INFc_M67Body
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_Gren_Expl'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_Gren_Expl'
         FireDistSound2=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_Gren2_Expl'
         FireDistFarSound2=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_Gren2_Expl'
    INFc_40mmGrenade
         FireDistSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_40mm_Expl'
         FireDistFarSound=Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_40mm_Expl'

the variables for the firing sounds:
    The firing sounds and some others too are bound to an animation and so are part of a struct we use.
    Code:
    The struct:
    struct AnimationSeq
    {
    	var()	name	AnimSeq;
    	var()	float	AnimRate;
    	var()	sound	AsscSound;
    };
    and the variable
    var(INFAnimation)	AnimationSeq	animFire;

so to access the firing sound of a weapon class you have to use
    animFire.AsscSound
    ie.
    set INF_Core.INFc_Weapon animFire.AsscSound Sound'INF_Assets.Weapons.INF_SIG551Fire'

the different names for the firing sounds can all be found in the INFAnimation section of the classes properties within UED...

hope it works... good luck!

Beppo

19. ZIRB

ZIRB Inhuman

Thanks... Just one question... Do I really have to do like this?
    ...or can I copy and paste and write something directly in some infi-file? That would make the whole thing more easy to perform I think...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  20. Beppo

Beppo Infiltration Lead-Programmer

should work if you start the ShootingRange (all weapons are presnt there) and then use a keybind for ie.

set INFc_Weapon animFire.AsscSound Sound'INF_Assets.Weapons.INF_SIG551Fire'

and ie.

set INFc_Weapon FireDistSound Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_Away_762x39'

set INFc_Weapon FireDistFarSound Sound'INF_Assets2.Distance.INF_FarAway_762x39'

these can all be combined by using a '|' of course...