1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[1984]Intellectual Property Protection Act of 2006

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ZenPirate, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

2. namu

namu Bleh.

That whole "intellectual property" madness will be the cause of WW4, I say.

3. DeeperShade

DeeperShade Banned

Good good, glad they got the olde terrorism hookline in there for the retarded middle american's to bite onto.

4. ZenPirate

^ I don't know which bothers me more. The thought that Gonzales *might* believe what he's saying, or the knowledge that some Americans will.

5. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

:flame: WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ****?!

6. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Well, my defense is "Look guys, I wasn't gonna buy it anyways" I mean, they are wasting so much money on all of this DRMA and all this other protection crap. They will never learn their lesson. They can't have 20 people working on a anti-theft software, then release it to millions of people (whom are 50% software programmers themselves). No matter what these laws do, there will always be a way around it. That's what laws are for! From what I could gather, this won't effect me the least little bit. I'm not constantly downloading software and music 24 hours a day.

Bigger penalties? So they want to lock me away for taking some music...more than if I was to go and rape a little 10 year old girl. Amazing laws we have here....amazing.

7. AizenSA

AizenSA The Divine Tyrant

I agree. This aspect that the government is doing is just down right retarded. For example of what Jackal said there I'm sure you guys remember the movie hackers and others of the sort. Even if they didnt bring out software like that theres still people out there that will and may have already got past it and put it online for others to use. We all know theres corrupt people in office that does this kind of stuff as well, and then they try to say stuff like that. They should be gunned down and shot in the face with a sawed off shotgun. :mad:

8. Gumby

Gumby Pretty in Pink!

Lunacy. Some of those bureaucrats need to get their priorities sorted out tbh rather than trying to keep their party in power

9. MrSmiles

MrSmiles selimsrm

any form of copy protection will be cracked withing a few weeks of it's release

look at the psp, sony released v2.01 to stop the use of emulators
    i gave it a few weeks, now i can play snes games on my psp

10. AizenSA

really thats cool I know some people that had some genesis games on it :lol: ahh stupid government, they have no idea what their doing and where to run with it.

11. Neddaf

Neddaf Just a flesh wound!

I say we kill the president...whose in?

12. [IsP]KaRnAgE

[IsP]KaRnAgE You Can Be My Wingman

I refuse to believe more people are pirating now than ever before. I refuse. Why? It is simple. Back in the day of cassettes and VHS, all you needed to do was press a single button to copy something. You could copy things off of TV or radio, and more importantly, copy other tapes. The thing about this is that there is absolutely no way to tally how many people did things like this. But I think it is safe to assume that the ratio of "pirates" is similiar to what is today, if not less. Pirating today requires much more tech saviness as well as a certain amount computer hardware to do. There is no way to measure how many people in the 80s and early 90s copied movies off of commercial free cable networks and gave copies to friends and families or made copies of commercially sold VHS tapes and cassette albums to share (not sell.) There is no way to track this. It can only be assumed. Thusly, the only people that were truly considered when measuring the amount of "pirating" were actual pirates who would sell their copies on the streets.

Today, with the internet however, it is possible to "see" how many people are "copying" things and sharing. A nice and easy target for big companies. The internet was a nice glass wall into our homes. I don't believe that it is the cause for "pirating" (when it comes to music and movies, software is a bit different.) I believe that the act of sharing music and movies is a behavior that reaches back to the cassette era and that it has only now been truly put into the limelight.

13. ZenPirate

The difference is that with this law you can be jailed for 10 years just for having this software on your pc. Even if you're not using it to hack you psp.

14. Neddaf

Neddaf Just a flesh wound!

I still say kill the president...

15. Continuum

Continuum Lobotomistician

If I'm not thrown in jail for this theyll get me for something else anywas...

I can remember when I was in the navy, the spooks (crypto) and it guys were able to get every movie a day or two before release by using DOD cryptography software (or whatever they had) to crack the code when the movie got sent out to the movie theaters. I would love to see what would happen if they got busted as it wasn't only my ship doing this sort of thing, I can just imagine half the fleet being under investigation. lol

you seriously wouldnt believe collection of dvds that some of those guys had. Must have been nice.

16. AizenSA

well we said the government is stupid, not unprepared I think they would be ready for such attacks i.e armored limos, secret service, seals and the such.

17. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

I told you guys over and over. Elect me as your president and I will put your fears to rest.

Edit:

Yeah, never mind the fact movies are sent to the theaters in cannisters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  18. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

That and RIAA's extortion tactics

"Pay us XX amount of money or we'll take you to court! Either way you lose we win and guess what?
    PWNED NOOB!"

Where's the class action lawsuit when we really, really need it?

19. anaemic

anaemic she touch your penis?

it worries me more that this is about any copyright material, so it could soon be a federal offence with a maximum jailtime of ten years to; find lyrics to a song online.
    infact if attempting to acquire copy protected material is included, merely typing "[songname] lyrics" into google would be a jailable offence?

20. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Sweet Mother of Jesus. This is unbelievable. Or actually, that's what I'd like to say, but it's actually completely believable. With the RIAA and MPAA slipping more and more money to our 'esteemed' lawmakers, it was only a matter of time before they expanded these rules. It's getting to the point where even owning a copy of Nero is going to get you jail time.

Now, at the risk of my freedom, I quote:
    How the hell does that work? Are we going to send Iowa State Troopers over to Europe to hand out speeding tickets, too? "Yes, I realize you didn't technically break any US laws, but we're greedy bastards and want your money, your computer equipment, and most especially your complete and unwavering obedience to the almighty MPAA."

As for killing Bush, can't we just get over this
    "Bush is the root of all evil" crap already? I seriously doubt this would be any different if Democrats were in the White House. Except for the blaming terrorism part, maybe. It's all about the source of the money: Hollywood. Maybe we should shift some of those sniper rifles off of the White House and point them in the general direction of the RIAA and MPAA bigwigs.

So let's tally all the copy protection 'schemes' coming down the pipe:
    1) DRM (Digital Rights Management) chips that will soon be in every TV, DVD player, DVR, VCR, computer, cable box, stereo, anything that can potentially be used to view or listen to copyrighted material. Don't have a compliant TV? Black screen for you. What if the NFL doesn't want to give you the ability to 'time shift' the SuperBowl to watch after you get off work? (Oh crap, I can already get in trouble for using those trademarked names, can't I?) DRM makes that possible.
    2) Windows Vista. DRM built right in. And don't forget the strict hardware requirements for using it's nifty new features. Hardware requirements that haven't even been completely hashed out yet. No fancy 3D menus for you!
    3) Prison time (?!?!?!?) for making a copy of that $15.00 CD to listen to in your car, while keeping the original safe in your home. C'mon, you can afford any extra $30-$45 dollars just to listen to a song at home, in your car, or on your mp3 player, right? Or $20 to replace your kid's favorite Disney movie (if it isn't in 'The Vault') after his/her grubby little hands touch it one too many times?
    4) I'm sure I'm forgetting something here.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006