11 year old graduates college - thinks videogames are "a waste of time"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Wow, whole lot of jealousy in this thread.

Did he actually say anything that was incorrect?
Video games ARE a waste of time, we all recognise that. They don't help humanity, generally speaking.

I'm suprised people have gotten all defensive about it. This is like a religion debate thread where someone has come in and posted that "Evolution is real" and you've all responded with "STFU Video games are god"

Bare in mind two things, his "hipocrisy" of endulging in his own "waste of time" hobbies involve healthy exercise and producing a marketable product... secondly that he has graduated college and thus now HAS the time to waste should he choose...

It's odd anyone has taken offense by this, he personally chose to knuckle down and work rather than play video games and stated his reason, that is all. I don't see anywhere where hes attacked "gamers" (Our "gamers" some sort of cult now btw, should i apply for a membership card)

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland

The kid doesn't like to play video games, that's pretty clear, but instead of just saying that, he says essentially this:

I do not play video games, because video games do not help humanity.

Now this is fine. He's right. Apart from keeping a lot of people entertained, the act of actually playing a video game probably doesn't help humanity all that much. There is a problem though, because he also said that he'd start doing scuba diving and martial arts, stuff that he probably enjoys, but it helps humanity equally as much as video games do. He provided a valid argument as to why video games are a waste of time, and then right after he contradicts himself by saying he practices a sport, that is equally as wasteful, assuming that an activity is a waste of time, the moment that it does not help humanity.

I do not eat vanilla ice cream, because eating ice cream is a waste of time because it does not help humanity in any way.

I will now go drink some chocolate milk.

As Fullbleed said, it's an extremely smug thing to do, and very douchy. And no, this has nothing to do with me playing video games a lot, this has something to do with him being over confident and blabbering blatant selfcontradictions in an interview, and the news acknowledging it as truth.

When asked about video games he should've just said "No I do not like playing video games, I like doing martial arts and scuba diving", but instead he goes on to insult a lot of people and also contradicts himself while at it.
I know he's a kid and he's allowed to not understanding how the world works, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't point it out. If you just tell a kid that everything he says is right, you are doing nothing for kid, apart from turning him into an over confident smug douchebag.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Wow, whole lot of jealousy in this thread.

Did he actually say anything that was incorrect?
Video games ARE a waste of time, we all recognise that. They don't help humanity, generally speaking.
Games are NOT a waste of time.
They help humanity by enriching the lives of those who play them, which is a very large percent of people.

he is incorrect by disregarding video games; an art-form, a key part of many peoples lives, something that gets people talking and entertains people, whole communities are built around on line around gaming, The world would be a darker place with out gaming, and if he, you, and others with similar beliefs cant see that video games have a major and positive effect on humanity then yous have major problems.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
He provided a valid argument as to why video games are a waste of time, and then right after he contradicts himself by saying he practices a sport, that is equally as wasteful, assuming that an activity is a waste of time, the moment that it does not help humanity.
Maybe he wants to become Chuck Norris and punch all the terrorists out.
HUMANITY HELPED!
________
ZOLOFT SETTLEMENTS

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Kid gets an astrophysics degree from a community college and now wants to be an actor. Ummm.... ok?

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
To hell with that "humanity"
It's already in hell anyway...:p

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
I hate to break it to you, but video games are meant to waste time. You don't do anything productive, it's solely for fun....so you're wasting time.

Sorry, it just bugs me when people take video games so seriously.
People thought the same thing about movies... long before Schindler's List existed.

Wasting time is relative... is culture a waste of time?

**** Shakespeare, Hemingway, Jane Austin, it's just fiction ****... waste of time.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
There is a problem though, because he also said that he'd start doing scuba diving and martial arts, stuff that he probably enjoys, but it helps humanity equally as much as video games do. He provided a valid argument as to why video games are a waste of time, and then right after he contradicts himself by saying he practices a sport, that is equally as wasteful, assuming that an activity is a waste of time, the moment that it does not help humanity.

Both healthy activities(have you heard of marine biology btw?) and you forgot the third thing he said he'd do. That he'd write a book to help other people. ie-Humanity.
Also this is over a prospective 6 months AFTER graduating college at the age of eleven, he's earnt some time to waste don't you tihnk? There is no hypocrisy, he never claimed he was seeking those activities in difference to time wasting activities that don't help humanity... he onyl explained why he hasn't played video games thus far in his brief existence. He most undoubtedly will do in time.

.... but instead he goes on to insult a lot of people and also contradicts himself while at it...

I disagree, i don't think he insulted anyone.

I do think that you are insulted however but I think that has more to do with you than him imo.

You call a child a douche bag and in response i suggest that it is YOU who is the douche bag.

M.A.D.X.W said:
Games are NOT a waste of time.
They help humanity by enriching the lives of those who play them, which is a very large percent of people.
They wouldn't have helped him graduate college at age 11 though... Also what helps "humanity" and what helps a "person" is a vastly different thing in my mind.

M.A.D.X.W said:
he is incorrect by disregarding video games; an art-form, a key part of many peoples lives, something that gets people talking and entertains people, whole communities are built around on line around gaming, The world would be a darker place with out gaming, and if he, you, and others with similar beliefs cant see that video games have a major and positive effect on humanity then yous have major problems.

I still don't see anything wrong in what he said, a single line of text that people have gotten their panties in a twist over.

Can we put this into perspective... he is eleven years old. His world view might not be as vast as other peoples, this i would've hoped, should have been obvious.
Maybe he got one line of speech not entirely politically correct for the illustrious "church of gamer" but if any other eleven year old said anything you didn't like you wouldn't even notice. As soon as someone "writes" about it your all in here swinging your gavels in judgement.

He is a child who has not said anything strictly incorrect, you might think it helps humanity by supplying the miracle of "entertainment" but i think you just need to face the fact that there is nothing wrong with having a hobby that you enjoy that doesn't help "humanity" and is otherwise an enjoyable "waste of time". Keep enjoying it, there is ntohing wrong with it, clearly he doesn't enjoy it and even if he did he decided to set his sights on other goals, what he said is irrelevant, will it make you stop playing?
Will it force you to be unable to play?
Why on earth could this offend you?

Seriously anyone annoyed by this needs to get over it, or atleast should be banned from going near school playgrounds, we don't want you getting arrested for punching minors do we...

P.s/ Grow up!

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I know the kid is excused and calling him a douchebag is too much, but right now it seems that he's an overconfident kid, who thinks he knows how the world works, which he obviously does not. I guess I'm seeing a problem that's not really there, or not rele relevant for anyone, but meh, I still think it's selfcontradicting.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
... or more likely his ideals were imposed by his parents.

... you know, the type of parent who would force their kid through school that quickly.

... he got a degree when he's 11 and several martial arts trophies... I somehow doubt that he had time to reflect on life.

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
I still don't see anything wrong in what he said, a single line of text that people have gotten their panties in a twist over.

Can we put this into perspective... he is eleven years old. His world view might not be as vast as other peoples, this i would've hoped, should have been obvious.
Maybe he got one line of speech not entirely politically correct for the illustrious "church of gamer" but if any other eleven year old said anything you didn't like you wouldn't even notice. As soon as someone "writes" about it your all in here swinging your gavels in judgement.

He is a child who has not said anything strictly incorrect, you might think it helps humanity by supplying the miracle of "entertainment" but i think you just need to face the fact that there is nothing wrong with having a hobby that you enjoy that doesn't help "humanity" and is otherwise an enjoyable "waste of time". Keep enjoying it, there is ntohing wrong with it, clearly he doesn't enjoy it and even if he did he decided to set his sights on other goals, what he said is irrelevant, will it make you stop playing?
Will it force you to be unable to play?
Why on earth could this offend you?

P.s/ Grow up!

I'm not offended by the kid, I think its ridiculous that people can call video games a waste of time. Its got nothing to do with the kid really. Do you not think that video games have helped humanity?

DIE CHILDREN!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Article said:
Yet like a twist out of a Hollywood action flick, Cavalin combines his exceptional smarts with fearsome martial arts abilities: The preteen has won numerous national martial arts championships.
He's already been practicing martial arts in lieu of gaming. That makes him a douchebag?

Up next for the tireless boy wonder: In the next take six months to a year he plans to devote himself to martial arts, write a book for kids on how to succeed in school, and take up scuba diving.
The bolded text is something you geniuses conveniently overlooked or brushed over, as it were. Like anyone else who authors a self-help book or inspirational story, these aren't intended to be only entertainment value the way video games are primarily created for and enjoyed. Games are primarily meant to be a tool of relaxation and recreation. Very few games are serious in that they are meant for any higher purpose at all. Just because a small percentage of gamers take their games waaaaay too seriously does not mean that games by and large are meant to serve any purpose other than relation or recreation. For some folks, games are a waste of time. For others, it is a part of their lives.

Not on the agenda: playing video games.

"I feel it's a waste of time playing video games because it's not helping humanity in any way," says the 11-year-old, who wants to use his knowledge to change the world.
Where does he state that writing a book, practicing martial arts or scuba diving "help" humanity? Boy, you guys are reaching into some serious bullshiott territory here by putting words into his mouth.

Just a quick observation here. Some of the same persons here who are attacking this kid for his commentary and values are some of the same ones who in another thread complained that those who do not open their minds to alternate ideas and lifestyles are bigots. Well, by showing the same bigoted type of mentality by totally attacking this kid for the singular reason of which is his belief that gaming isn't worth his time, you have made yourself to be of the same limited mindset you claim to be attacking.

Hypocrite much?

Good day.