1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

10th Planet Discovered

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by QUALTHWAR, Jul 29, 2005.

1. QUALTHWAR

QUALTHWAR Baitshop opening soon.

2. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

I think that news item is at least 2 months old. I remember some people on buf ot almost gettign in a flame war over this.

3. Stilgar

Stilgar Ninja

4. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

I'm more inclined in believing in Pellucidar, than a 10th planet or water on Mars.

5. QUALTHWAR

6. QUALTHWAR

Why would you think that? The planet is there, but whether it should be considered a planet is the issue. Like Pluto, where its declaration as a planet is correct or not. What they are saying is if Pluto is a planet, then this object should maybe be called a planet since it’s very much like Pluto.

Water on Mars doesn’t surprise me at all. There are plenty of features on Mars that look like they have been created by flowing water.

7. Balton

having scientists tell the public/press that there's water on mars and actually having impressive pictures of it( I wallpapered that icelake for my desktop)
    makes a big difference for the common people who hardly care about this.

8. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

arn`t these the same guys who can`t even glue on a tile without it falling off....rocket scientists or whatever. :B

9. Balton

gluing tiles on isn't rocket sciene, give these guys a break! ;)

10. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

it is when the tile`s on a rocket. :p

11. QUALTHWAR

Right, well even without photos, I’ve thought for a long time that it was probable Mars had water somewhere on it. I assumed it was at the poles or underground.

I saw a show about a year ago that presented a theory as to why Mars had no flowing water or atmosphere anymore. The show was actually about earth losing its magnetic field. They talked about how the magnetic north and south poles had flipped many times in the past and how the magnetic field gets weak before the reversal occurs.

Since the magnetic field protects us from particles streaming off the sun, the field is important to our survival. A magnetic survey of the surface of Mars reveled that the planet did have a magnetic field early on in its history about 4 billion years ago. They noticed a big impact crater where the field was virtually absent. If Mars still had a field when the impact made the crater, there would have been evidence of a magnetic field inside the crater as the rock cooled and locked in the polarity. The crater was formed about 4 billion years ago.

Scientists believe Mars lost its field not long after its formation, about 4 billion years ago because the iron in the core was not moving, molten metal like inside the earth; it had stopped moving and solidified. Without the magnetic field, solar winds would not be diverted around the planet like they are on earth. This has the affect of blowing the atmosphere away. With the atmosphere gone, water vapor can more easily escape into space. But some water could easily remain locked up at the poles and beneath the surface in a permafrost state.

I wasn’t expecting to see a lake of water. Since that crater is fairly large, I guess it held enough water so all of it didn’t escape into space. What bothers me is that this was just recently discovered. With all the orbiting satellites, I would think they would have discovered this long ago. Maybe the satellites weren’t in the right orbit, but I thought we had a rather complete map of the surface from probes scanning from above. It almost makes me wonder if it’s a hoax.

12. MassChAoS

MassChAoS echo "NaliCity";

13. Balton

14. Balton

actually the tile is on the shuttle ;)

15. Rabid Wolf

Rabid Wolf Piano Man Ghost

mars express blows away anything gathering images ever sent to mars before.
    the thing flies on orbits so low, and packs such hightech optical equipment, that some images gathered have a resolution of as little as 12 meters per pixel!
    the crater in doubt here isn't really that big, really, at a diametre of some 23 miles.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/
    they have wonderful images up at their homepage. especially for those lucky enough to have salvaged a red&green pair of 3d googles from the seventies.

16. Balton

my sister just told me that you can get one at any optician( or optometrist as you americans might call them). Guess what I'll get myself next monday? :)

17. QUALTHWAR

a pony?

18. Balton

bingo!

19. Stakhanov

Stakhanov Invisible Pink Unicorn

I hope they're going to rename it... Vulcan maybe ?

20. Nachimir

Nachimir Crony of Stilgar

I wonder what low gravity ice-skating is like.