1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

1 Battle rifle...

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Lasersailor184, Jan 6, 2004.

1. sir_edmond

sir_edmond In my own world

if where using the FAL which model are we using the para-trooper, or the normal one and will it allow bipod and will it be 20 rounds per mag or 30 rounds.

2. Meplat

Meplat Chock full-o-useless information

Edmond- Hmm. How about a standard 50.00, no bipod. the Aussie, or Canadian SAW variant with the 30's would be a nice compliment though.

Meplat-

3. sir_edmond

bipod and heavier barrel was the saw

4. Meplat

Edmond- *Nods* Correct. Also known as a FALO.

Meplat-

5. sir_edmond

6. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

I think the OICW for INF was discussed earlyer. do a search.

7. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  8. NeoLancer

NeoLancer «STS»Cypher

Just asking as I don't have a very good knowledge of guns.

What are the advantages of a battle rifle in Inf over the current assault rifles and SMG's that are already in Inf? I ask this because isn't the battle rifle not as useful in CQB? Most of Infs maps are engagments in smaller areas...are battle rifles not better suited for more 'open' engagments? I'm probably way off or something here, but I would like to know.

ty.

9. G36

G36 Loose Cannon

Neolancer: it's a step between sniper rifles (extreme long range) and assault rifles. Plus they go BANG very loudly :D

Mephat's order gets my vote.

10. randomas

randomas New Member

11. Gnam

Gnam Member

Edmond, remember the AUG is not a battle rifle. I don't think bolt actions are considered battle rifles either; they're generally auto or semi-auto. And in terms of bayonettes many weapons allready in Inf can fit bayonettes, even the SIG, it's just that in RL no one uses them anymore.

Laisersailor, I think the aforementioned disagreement had little to do with the actual viability of the M14 as a weapon in Inf. It had more to do with things you said like "controlabilty doesn't matter in full auto", "the M16 sucks", "the army doesn't know what they're doing", etc. I'm not trying to bring that argument back; I think we should put it behind us; I'm just trying to clarify what the argument was. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have an M14 than no battle rifle at all.

Anyway, I don't think there's much left to say that hasn't been said allready. We all want a battle rifle, most don't care which one, and it's really up to SS to decide if/when they add one. Personally, I'd be against a G3 cause we allready have too many HKs in the armory.

12. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

NeoLancer: Battle rifles typically fire a larger cartridge than ARs (intermediate cartridges) and SMGs (pistol cartridges). For example, the M14/FN FAL/G3 all fire the 7.62x51 NATO (.308 Winchester) round. This is the same round as fired by the PSG-1 already in game.

What does this mean to gameplay? They'd essentially be PSG-1s without scopes... (The PSG-1 is a modified G3 anyway). A battle rifle would be less effective in CQB (longer weapon, more recoil, etc) but better at long-range encounters (better accuracy, more damage) than the ARs.

Matthew

13. Meplat

Gnam- Given the choice of " M-14 as Battle Rifle" or "None", I'd take the 14. You have a point.

Again, I'll recement my belief that the FAL is the best choice for "the one".

Meplat-

14. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

I'd put my selections in this order.
    G3 - HK roller delayed blowback (in theory i guess that means less felt recoil)

FAL - Probably the most widely adopted rifle for military use in history (90+ countries)

M14 - It's more of a sniper rifle today. As an Infantry weapon, the US didn't seem very pleased with judging by it's relativly short service life of only 6 years as the standard issue rifle with the army. For compairson the M1 was used for 20+ years, and the now aging M16 will being seeing it's 40th year.

15. Lasersailor184

Lasersailor184 The_Punisher

The m14 is still widely used by the Marines Defkon. As a standard infantry weapon I mean.

But anyway, in a few days i'll put up a poll to see how many people would like to have which weapons.

16. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

Lasersailor, I think there were already enough polls like this ;)

17. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

The M14 isn't completely out of favour.

The USMC have a brand spanking new "DMR" variant and the Army are issuing them on a similar basis.

That said I think the FAL is still the more widely used weapon and more deserving of inclusion.

18. Lasersailor184

Lasersailor184 The_Punisher

You can always have more polls!

19. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

I think a poll may say otherwise.

20. SaraP

SaraP New Member

The M-14 was designed as an interim rifle to transition between the M1 Garand and the SPIW flechette rifle, which was ultimately shelved in favor of the Armalite AR-15 assault rifle.