Epic Games Makes Waves At Korea GC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Games is making a big splash at the Korea Games conference with a wave of press releases, so let's take them one by one.

• Neowiz Games has licensed Unreal Engine 3
    "We're extremely privileged Neowiz Games elected to use Unreal Engine 3 for its next big projects," said Wilbur. "We cannot wait to see what further great accomplishments Neowiz Games has in store. I say that not only as a friend and colleague, but also as a gamer. I cannot wait to play the games that will result from this partnership."
  • Mark Rein twitters about Epic Citadel, the masses checking out the UDK, the UDK being able to generate iOS apps and UE3 making the leap to Android.
    [*]Over 1,000,000 people have downloaded and installed "Epic Citadel" from the iTunes App Store.
    [*]The Unreal Development Kit (UDK) now has more than 350,000 installations, which is pretty amazing for a game engine.
    [*]There are countless UDK applications from games to driving simulators to animated films. And soon we will be able to count mobile applications.
    [*]We announced UDK will be able to generate iOS applications!
    [*]We've demoed Unreal Engine 3 on Android w/ Tegra 2, and at KGC today we showed it on a Samsung Galaxy S device.
UDK developers will soon be able to use the power of Unreal Engine 3 to create apps for iOS devices. If you check out the Apple Special Event from Sept. 1, you can see Mike Capps and Donald Mustard demoing "Project Sword," our first game for iOS, being created at Epic's Chair Entertainment. Just search for Apple Special Event Project Sword on YouTube.

Dungeon Defenders was one of our original showcase games used to demonstrate how to use the Unreal Development Kit. Trendy Entertainment, a small development shop in Florida, created several dev diaries and released the source code for the game so UDK developers could learn from their experiences. Recently, Trendy because a full Unreal Engine 3 licensee so they could develop "Dungeon Defenders" for Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network and mobile platforms. Last week, they posted shaky cam footage to YouTube of "Dungeon Defenders" running on iPhone and Android.

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
I am thinking about getting the new T-Mobile G2 Android phone next month, so if it proves powerful enough, I would definitely be down for making a little UDK game or two to play around with on that! I still don't expect smartphones to eclipse Nintendo, or even Sony, in serious mobile gaming for a while, but having some UDK games that involve more than lining up colored blocks in a multitude of methods will sure go a long ways to legitimize the iOS and Android platforms for gaming.

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
I'm impressed it's able to run on them at all, no matter how many details have been reduced. It only proves scalability of UE3.

Soon we'll have it powering every TV, washing machine and fridge :O

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Still, it's like putting a Formula 1 race car onto a cobbled street after making necessary adjustments to it so it can drive there at all. It's just wrong.
Well hey, at least now you'll be able to get stuck on the floors on your cell phone and not just your PC. :tup:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
But not phones that can run these kind of games. Not by any margin. Actually, i'm not convinced they buy more phones.

Lets do some math :D

Console sales 2009 = 34.18 Million
PC sales 2009 = 298.9 Million
Cell Phones 2009 = 1.211 Billion (172.4 million were smart phones)

Links:
http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/6579/gartner-reports-worldwide-mobile-phone-sales-for-2009/

http://www.physorg.com/news178212434.html

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...09-console-sales-and-ahead-to-2010-trends.ars

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Not to mention how many of them were just upgrades from a previous device. The phone "sales" numbers don't really quantify the number of devices that are out there being used.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That Galaxy S tablet looks pretty nice. I'm hoping to get one of those at some point.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I feel really sorry for the Unreal Engine. Such a powerful and proud engine being forced to run on puny mobile devices. :(

Hey, id's doing it too. Carmack became interested in mobile engines since he thought he was pretty much done with standard PC hardware. I can see where it's an interesting problem for him and Sweeney in terms of trying to squeeze as much performance out of a lesser system.

It's not like there's a huge demand for a UE4 release right now, and there probably won't until the next console generation or PC game sales reach parity with the consoles again.

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
Plus it shouldn't hurt having to optimize the engine for a platform like a phone. Might lead to some better optimizations on the PC end.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
doubtful

Hardly any of the console optimizations have been beneficial for the PC. In fact, content cooking makes things worse.
Consoles finally improved enough so that dynamic lighting became possible.
And now the mobile devices come along, and there goes dynamic lighting.
Decals? Forget about it. Physics? Back to 2002.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm sure they find mobile platforms interesting because they present some of the classic development problems (limited disk space, limited memory, etc). That said, I don't see how developing for mobile platforms helps out anywhere else.